PDA

View Full Version : Sizing

plaz
07-05-2010, 05:48 PM
I intend to size all of my Lyman 44 remington mag bullets to obtain maximum bullet uniformity. I note that all the Lyman bullet molds are 430 inches in diameter.
Since most cast bullets have cast bullet diameters less than the bullet mold designation I expect that I will not have sufficient diameter to achieve effective sizing.

Under these circumstances what would I expect the Lubri-sizer owners and experts to do?

mooman76
07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
You didn't say what size bullets you have or what is the minimum size you need. If you size all to .429 or even smaller just for the sake of uniformity and you need 430 or even larger you will have uniformity. Uniform leading down the barrel. Some moulds actually drop a little large sometimes even if yours don't. Size no smaller than you can get by with. The ones that are smaller you can still run through the sizer and they will get lubed. They may or may not work. If they bump up and work then fine but if they don't you are just wasting your time with them anyway so you may as well stop casting them unless you have more than one gun and another will work.
Also wait a week before measuring because they tend to grow in diameter up to about a week.

07-05-2010, 06:48 PM
plaz,
1. Have you slugged the barrel and cylinder throats, and what is the diameter of your dropped boolit? I size all my revolver boolits .001" over throat dimension.

2. Don't follow what you mean: "Since most cast bullets have cast bullet diameters less than the bullet mold designation I expect that I will not have sufficient diameter to achieve effective sizing." Generally, a mould is manufactured to drop a boolit larger than its designation. For instance, Lyman states that its 429421 will drop a .430" boolit. Of course, that's with a perfect mould and using their #2 alloy. However, dropped dimensions will vary depending on your alloy, the tolerances to which the mould was held during manufacture, the manufacturer's quality control standards, etc. All my moulds drop at least as large as their designation, and the majority drop fatter, although I did return two because they were too small.

3. If a used mould drops smaller than your gun requires, it can be "beagled" (do a site search) or lapped, in order to produce a fatter boolit. If you bought it new, return it.

4. If a sizing die is not available in the size you need, the largest available can be lapped.

Bottom line: You can cast and size a boolit to any dimension that you need. Ideally, the boolit will drop fat so you can size it to what is needed. Sometimes, that's not the case and you have to work at it. It's all part of the game.

oldtoolsniper
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
And then you will find the gun that no matter what you try it will give you fits trying to find a boolit that will work. I have a .40 S&W that I found the right combination after three months and I was so happy I loaded 500 rounds and promptly shot them all this morning. The boolit has to fit the gun. A lot of variables come into play and it is a whole different world then shooting the jacked bullets. When it all comes together it's nice to only spend a couple cents per shot compared to almost $0.45 per shot for store bought.

243winxb
07-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Quote:
The bullet diameters and weights presented in this list
are based on the use of Taracorp’s Lawrence Magnum
bullet alloy (2% tin, 6% antimony, 1/4% arsenic,
91.75% lead).
Bullet diameters and weights will vary considerably
depending on the lead casting alloy used. This variation
can be as much as 1/2% on the diameter, and 8% on
the weight among the most commonly used casting
alloys. For example, a .358-158 grain bullet might
show a diameter variation of .002", and a 13 grain difference
in weight.
Of the most commonly used alloys, wheel weights (.5%
tin, 4% antimony, 95% lead) will produce bullets having
the smallest diameter and heaviest weight, with
such bullets running approximately .3% smaller in
diameter and 3% heavier than bullets cast with
Taracorp's metal. Linotype will produce bullets with the
largest diameter and lightest weights. This alloy will
produce bullets approximately 1/10% larger and 3%
lighter than Taracorp. Other alloys of tin and antimony,
with antimony content above 5%, will produce bullets
with diameters and weights falling between those cast
from wheel weights and linotype.
Alloys containing little or no antimony will cast considerably
smaller than wheel weights and in some cases
will produce bullets too small for adequate sizing.
Within the limitations given above, the weight and
diameter of a cast bullet can be adjusted by varying the
alloy’s antimony content.
The size and weight of bullets of a given alloy will also
vary according to casting temperature. Higher temperatures
will result in greater shrinkage as the bullet
cools, thereby producing a slightly smaller and lighter
bullet than one cast of the same alloy at a lower temperature.
[smilie=w:

casterofboolits
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Mix your test alloy ln small batches. Smelt your three varaities of lead and cast seperatly into ingots, mark each type of lead on the ingots. IE: WW...RL...ISL.

Now you have a known list of materials that you can mix and match to produce the result you want.

I would suggest you start with 50% WW, 25% RL, and 25% ISL and then adjust accordingly.

I like my boolits to drop the specified weight of the mold so I adjust my alloy by adding tin/linotype. My 150 grn molds drop 150 and I have matched pairs of molds by milling or grinding a few thou off a heavy mold to match the lighter one. This is a result of having cast for sale for 25 years. You don't have to do this, I just wanted the boolits I sold to be exactly what was marked on the box.

I would also sugggest that you keep records of each test batch. That way you can replicate the alloy for future casting sessions.

Have fun.

ghh3rd
07-06-2010, 05:36 PM
As I've read here many times, "after it gets pushed through your round barrel, it will be round". Try a handful that didn't get sized much, and some that did, and see if there's much difference...

Crash_Corrigan
07-07-2010, 01:36 AM
My 50-90 Sharps mold puts out a .511 dia boolit of 695 Gr in 40-1 alloy. I do not size it all. I pan lube it and assemble the round and I am getting excellent results.

All my other casting is done with straight ww's and water dropped immediately after casting into a 5 gallon bucket containing 4 gallons of cold water with a layer of packing peanuts on top. No splashing that way.

Some I size thru a lee sizer and lube with dawn and water and then aftery drying I lube with mule snot and JPW mixed. Allowed to dry overnight I then add some corn starch to keep them from getting sticky. These are put up in plastic containers or zip lock bags and will harden some for 30 days.

Others are cast and then the next day I lube size them with my SAECO sizer and Carnuba Red. I size .45 acp to .452. 45 Colt to .453. 9 mm to .358. For my 30-06 I size down to .308 then wrap with two layers of computer paper (wet) and let dry overnight. I then dab a mite of JPW on them and resize to .310 or .309 and assemble the rounds and finish with the Lee FCD.

For the .303 Brit the round casts at .314. I size down to .311 and again two wraps of computer paper and lubed with JPW I resize to .316.. I assemble the round and my SMLE loves them.

Other .30 cal rifle rounds are sized with carnuba red and sized to .309 or .310 depending on what gun.

44man
07-07-2010, 08:23 AM
The best size die made is called a "BARREL" so depending on your guns measurements you might not want to size the boolits at all. You might find a die large enough to barely touch some spots on the boolit to allow lubing will work best. Out of round boolits have never hurt how they shoot.
Trying to size a boolit too small to make them look round is not the way to go.

qajaq59
07-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Since most cast bullets have cast bullet diameters less than the bullet mold designation I expect that I will not have sufficient diameter to achieve effective sizing.I have molds from Lyman and Lee and I can't say that that has been a problem. You may want to play with your alloy a bit if you're having that trouble.

And then you will find the gun that no matter what you try it will give you fits trying to find a boolit that will work.Yup, I had one of those. It doesn't live here anymore