PDA

View Full Version : How do you determine a starting load?

roysha
07-05-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this question but I'll start here and I'm sure someone will make corrections as needed.

My question is this;

How do you determine a safe starting load for a cartridge, powder, bullet combination that doesn't seem to be posted or readily found? This is in reference to cast bullets, of course.

For example, I have a good supply of BL-C which I use in virtually all my rifles except my 270 and 22 Hornet. I want to use it to propel the Lee 155 grain cast bullet from my 7.62x39 chambered REM 799. I haven't found a listing for this situation.

I have assembled a couple of loads and test fired them from a functional point of view and all seems well but there was a degree of trepidation with the first couple shots fired.

Back in the days of my youth when I did a lot of wildcatting of various cartridges I developed a system I was comfortable with for calculating starting powder charges. However, this was with jacketed bullets and I not sure I fully understand the dynamics involved using cast bullets so am very hesitant to cross my method over until I understand things a little better, which is happening daily due to this terrific site and all the knowledgeable and helpful people here.

Edubya
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Glad that you're enjoying the site. If you read some of the advice and heed it you'll have at least three manuals that give you data on the particular boolit weight and/or shape. This is the reliable information and any information given here or any other site should be confirmed and verified by looking in those books, which is where you should have started in the first place.

Best of luck to ya,

EW

felix
07-05-2010, 05:43 PM
That is a small case for BLC2, and as such a full case to just below the seated boolit without compression would be entirely safe. As suggested by EW, beginners especially should have a hand full of reloading books. ... felix

mooman76
07-05-2010, 06:07 PM
These days you have the fortune of being able to go on line to the manufacturers web site as well as the books. I stay away from using powders that aren't listed in the data or I use the next heavier bullet if available. If there is no available data I compare to a very similar powder and use that data and drop it a little more to be safe but that is a rare case for me and use extra extra caution.