PDA

View Full Version : Can you push too hard?

Charlie Two Tracks
07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
There is another thread going on right now about what is soft med and hard alloys. Anyway, I was wondering what happens if you use too soft a boolit for your load. Does it blow apart or raise pressure too high or just lead the barrel? There is a lot of information on this site and for me, it is taking awhile to sort things out so I can figure out how to come up with good shooting cast boolits. I will keep reading and if you don't mind, keep posting.:coffeecom

docone31
07-05-2010, 02:44 PM
When I do not need obturation, I like to go with harder alloys.
Minie's for example, I need at least "sweet" wheel weight alloy. As it turns out, I have access to roofers. I get lots of pure lead.
For myself, I have not found hard lead to be a detriment. I also do not hunt. I punch holes in paper. I blend zinc into my alloy to stretch it. My black powder rifles, though, I use pure.
Just seems to work.

lwknight
07-05-2010, 03:04 PM
If the bullet is too soft and you shoot high end loads , you might skid the riflings.
Meaning that the barrel will try to spin the bullet and skid around the soft lead before the bullet gets up tp rpm.

chris in va
07-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I got really bad 'skidding' with my .356 boolits in 9mm. I had to go .003 over bore diameter before that issue stopped and the projectiles actually hit what I was aiming at.

I did extensive testing with different powders/charges/hardness levels during this process. My air dropped 356's were more of a shotgun pattern while the water dropped actually hit paper half the time. I haven't tried air dropping the fatter 358's yet.

ph4570
07-05-2010, 04:19 PM
When I do not need obturation, I like to go with harder alloys.
Minie's for example, I need at least "sweet" wheel weight alloy. As it turns out, I have access to roofers. I get lots of pure lead.
For myself, I have not found hard lead to be a detriment. I also do not hunt. I punch holes in paper. I blend zinc into my alloy to stretch it. My black powder rifles, though, I use pure.
Just seems to work.

How much zinc do you blend in percentage wise? I bought some clip-on WW ingots that had some unknown amount of zinc -- boolits were hard and shot well. I have no idea how much zinc was in the mix.

fatelvis
07-05-2010, 04:45 PM
When she says "ouch!", you pushed too hard.

docone31
07-05-2010, 04:46 PM
2% zinc is a snap. Over that, and you have to add lead to zinc, rather than zinc to lead.
Either way, keep it stirred.
Works for me.

mooman76
07-05-2010, 06:10 PM
You can actually blow them apart as Lee did in his experiments but you pretty much have to be trying to do that.

nicholst55
07-05-2010, 10:21 PM
I once had lead 'soldered' to the case neck and shoulder in a .308... The bore was an absolute mess.