PDA

View Full Version : Lube-A-Matic bit me!

wallenba
07-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I just had the ram fall and pinch my index finger between the sizing die. I've got a half inch long throbbing blood blister. Has anyone else done this? Is there a way to install a spring or something to prevent this?[smilie=b:

Changeling
07-05-2010, 02:40 PM
WOW! I am interested in this all so, maybe a "LONG" rubber band of some kind, or elastic, or a long spring they used to use on old fashioned wooden storm doors!

Someones bound to have had this problem before.

RP
07-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I have came close when changing the top punch only in my lyman the rest of the time the handle will stay in place . Iam sure you could rig up a counter weight spring or even a rubber strap to keep it from falling.

kenjuudo
07-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I use the lube that has leaked and apply it to the ram, and keep the nuts snug on the pivot shaft of my LAMII. Once was enough for me!

jim

07-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I, too, have had it happen, although not to that degree. Never thought about any preventative measures, other than vigilance.

Czech_too
07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
+1 "I, too, have had it happen, although not to that degree. Never thought about any preventative measures, other than vigilance."

Calamity Jake
07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Lower the plate at the bottom that pushes up on the push rod, lowering it will allow the handle to be raised higher making it a little safer.
But you still got to be carefull!!!! that dude will still bite ya ifen you put your fingers in it's mouth at the wrong time.

GP100man
07-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Ifin it has bolts titen em up a bit so it won`t fall

Mk42gunner
07-06-2010, 06:14 PM
I use a short piece of baling wire between the handle linkage and the threaded shaft to help hold the handle up.

Robert

Coffeecup
07-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Best bet is probably to be careful. If you are a clutz who gets in a hurry--like me--it is just one of those things that happens once in a while.

Wait til you lube-size your thumb on a Star . . .

alor_swe
07-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Take a long but fairly weak spring and wrap around the lower "lip" (where the bullet depth adjustment bolt is) behind the push rod and then connect both ends to the crossbar that pushes up the push rod.
Doing this will add some upward pressure to keep the handle up but also add some extra resistance pushing the bullet down in the die.

I've sold my LAM so I can't post a picture.

mtgrs737
07-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Been there, done that! You will heal but you will remember. A spring, or rubber band large enough to do the job will eliminate that problem. A reloading press that is detached from the bench will do it too, if you pick it up wrong and the handle falls down raising the ram to pinch your fingers. Simi auto Shotgun bolts really hurt too, and then there is the biggest offender, the "Garand thumb!"

KYCaster
07-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Tell yer wife to size the boolits...problem solved.

No need to thank me...happy to help. [smilie=f:

Jerry

John 242
07-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Me too! Probably more than once. I'm a slow learner.
Worse though was with a RCBS single stage that I clamp to a table so I can move it around. I picked the darn thing up to move it and the handle droped driving the ram up smashing my finger into a decapping pin on a sizing die. Ouch!
Funny how things like that happen, isn't it?

andrew375
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Done it several times. What I did was to remove the ram and drill a hole in the front, just above where the top edge of the casting comes when the handle is raised. Now i just insert a pin into the hole whenever the machine is not being used or I'm changing dies.

johnlaw484
07-22-2010, 09:03 AM
How about just keeping your fingers out of the way?

07-22-2010, 09:55 AM
"How about just keeping your fingers out of the way?"

Never thought of that, and like it. Hopefully, the next time I install/remove a top punch I will remember.

Eureka! Just thought of a way that may be feasible...