PDA

View Full Version : Problem with lee r.e.a.l. Mold

MOUNTAIN MIKE
07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Hello;Just started using a Lee mold for the 50 cal. r.e.a.l. bullet. This is the first time I am using pure lead and I am having the problem of a line showing where the 2 halves meet. The line is only on the surface and does not extend through the bullet.

I keep a firm grip on the mold and don"t know why this is so noticable.When I use wheel weights for my 45 long colt there is barely a line on the bullets-many show no line what so ever.

I always run my mold very hot and it seems to work well otherwise as all is filled out very well/ am I asking too much of this mold?

Thanks in advance,Mountain Mike

mooman76
07-05-2010, 01:55 PM
A small line is not going to make a difference as long as you don't have finning. Make sure your mould is closing all the way while casting. Some times they don't line up 100% and you get a bigger line or worse. I got in the habit of taping my mould when I close it. i tap it when relaseing the bullets so I just tap it again when closing and it jars it enough to make sure it is cloased better and it also gives me more consistant bullets. Some also set the mould on something flat when closing so it lines up better.

docone31
07-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Mike, that mold is an hard hitting, accurate casting. Any line will be removed on loading.
If however, it still bothers you, you can take some valve lapping compound, smear it on a casting, and turn it in the mold.
Line gone, made the fit a little tighter, and worked out well.
That is an hard hitting casting. Does well on the range, and in the field.

MOUNTAIN MIKE
07-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks,guys. The mold is really good as it fills out all the bands and the beveled base. I was going to chuck it and go to swaging but I like casting way better.

Thanks again= Mountain mike