PDA

View Full Version : Just got back from Arizona

Buckshot
07-05-2010, 04:04 AM
..............Went over to visit my folks in Sierra Vista. On Thursday my wife decided she was going to take a nap. I knew of one gunshop but dragged out the phone book and found 2 more. The one I knew of is of good size and generally has quite a few firearms, and even a decent selection of reloading stuff. They even have a coffee/conversation area. The only benefit of my going in was to escape the heat and monsoon humidity they're plagued with this time of the year.

I didn't need any but checking primers they were all marked $39/1000. I was shocked to see several powders (1Lb cans) marked @ $31 each! The used gun/consignment rack had only one of interest, a Turk M38/46 that looked real nice tagged at $175, but it's bore was black. Since I have one there was no real urge to consider even asking about running a patch through the barrel. They did have a unissued M1886 TD Springfield behind the counter marked $1000. It probably was worth it but it was out of my league.

One of the other places was closed. The 3rd place was small, somewhat dark and cluttered with all kinds of stuff. My kind of place :-) I'm sure he would have dickered but the only thing of interest to me was a pre-64 M94 in 30-30 that appeared well used but not abused and marked at $450. I wasn't going to buy anything unless it was a real deal to begin with and I've never had much luck with M94 leverguns anyway.

Actually the best stuff is at the weekly Saturday swap meet but we were going to be leaving on Saturday, and besides my wife would have been with me had we gone. I love her dearly but she doesn't share the same excitement over a good gun deal as I do, and it bothers me :drinks:

.................Buckshot

RugerFan
07-05-2010, 07:17 AM
A weekly swap meet.......with GUNS! Sounds like my kinda place. How close is it to Phoenix?

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE= How close is it to Phoenix?[/QUOTE]

Almost 200 miles . . . about 75 SE of Tucson . . . about 50 miles from me as the buzzard flies . . .

Yesterday was a nice day out here, we're about the same elevation as SV.

[smilie=s:

RugerFan
07-05-2010, 09:29 AM
My daughter will be moving to AZ next year. When I come to visit there may be a swap meet involved. :bigsmyl2:

Echo
07-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Right now is a good time to be leaving AZ, with the monsoon starting...

For the next couple of months, it won't be a dry heat...

44fanatic
07-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Son and DIL live in Sierra Vista and I was stationed out there for 2 years plus a few months here and there. As far as southern AZ weather, it sure beats Phoenix and Tucson.

Loved being able to go into the middle of the desert and shoot.

JIMinPHX
07-05-2010, 01:35 PM
You can find better prices on powder & primers at Sportsman's Warehouse. They're back to having a reasonably good selection now. There's one in Phoenix, one in Mesa & one in Tucson. You probably drove right past at least one of them. I stopped in for a pound of green dot the other day. It was $18 & they had nearly 30 canisters in stock, not including the big jugs. I can give you a list of smaller shops that are worth stopping at if you want to make a road trip of it again sometime.

AZ-Stew
07-05-2010, 02:12 PM
You shoulda stopped by to say "Howdy!" As Jim said, Sportsman's is good, though their primers are still a little high at $35.95/k. I shouldn't complain. At least they have some now. They'e a couple of miles down the road from me.

Sounds like our wives have something in common. :roll:

Regards,

Stew