PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July

abunaitoo
07-04-2010, 09:53 PM
A friend brought up something that made me think (dangerous for all).
Most people know today as the 4th of July.
It's a holiday for most.
A time where we eat hotdogs and watch fireworks.
BUT
How many of our young ones know what Independence day is?????
I'm almost sure many don't even know that they are both the samething.
You almost never see this day refered to as it's correct title.
Every other holiday is refered to by it's proper name.
Easter, Thanksgiving, Xmas, New years......
Why not Independence day?????
Are we ashamed of what our founding fathers fought and died for????
To me, it's a great dis-service to all those who set this country free.
So have a happy Independence day.
Let us hope we are never forced to fight for our right to be free again.

nicholst55
07-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Jay Leno has a video clip where he interviews a bunch of 'average' Americans and asks them what holiday the 4th of July is. None of those whose responses were aired could provide the answer. While we'll never know how many correct responses were edited out of that clip, I fear the response was typical of most.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPZuC5EhIo&feature=related

kywoodwrkr
07-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I first want to thank all service men and women for allowing me to be able to celebrate this day as I see fit.
It would takes reams of bits to do the thanks correctly, but-

THANKS

Also another little thing for everyone to read and think about.
They gave and then returned to give again!

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2010/07/04/operation_proper_exit_106151.html

I don't do links very often, but this one, today, got me a little misty eyed when I thought of these service men and then those in my own family.
Better close before I get on a soap box.
Thanks(as always)
but

THANKS AGAIN!

Dave

Firebricker
07-04-2010, 11:27 PM
abun, Your right I never thought about it but most people these day just refer to it as "the 4th"
From now on I will call it by it's proper name. FB

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-04-2010, 11:32 PM
http://www.ammoland.com/2010/05/07/national-firearms-training-week-2/
In part says "National Training Week, July 4 through 11, is set aside in conjunction with Independence Day to remind people that liberty and independence are closely tied to responsible possession of firearms."

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/National-Firearms-Training-Week.jpg

[smilie=s:

a.squibload
07-04-2010, 11:36 PM
There's the old question, "Do they have a 4th of July in England?"
Of course they do, but it ain't Independence Day over there.

Thanks is appropriate to those who gave their all in the War of Independence, and subsequent wars to keep us free.

Now the humor part:
Great to have a holiday too, so we can have all that backyard fun...
(Yes, taken this afternoon. Yes, that's hail.)
Don't worry, we're eating leftovers from the backyard party yesterday!

John 242
07-05-2010, 12:34 AM
It's a sad fact that most people could care less about the true meaning of Independence Day. They don't care about the true meaning of Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving either.
It's not that they're ignorant, because you can't have lived here your whole life and not have heard the story of American Independence. At some point, a teacher must have had to teach them about the founding of this country. It's that they simply don't care because it's not important to them.
Freedom isn't important. Their heritage isn't important. The sacrifices of those that serve or have served aren't important.

And then you look at the sort government officials we have nowadays and it all makes sense...
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Sorry if I'm being a downer, but I call it as I see it.

Dennis Eugene
07-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Abunaitoo, You bring up a very valid point about Independence Day. Yet then you go on to refer to Christmas Day as Xmas, Hmmm Think about it. Dennis

abunaitoo
07-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Your correct Dennis.
I'm sorry.
Seems I too have been brain washed into "Lazy political correctness"

BarryinIN
07-06-2010, 04:03 PM
This has been sort of a pet peeve of mine for a while. Nobody says "Happy January First" on a day that truthfully is of no importance at all, but they don't mind getting informal with the very important Independence Day by calling it "the fourth".

I usually make a post on at least one of my favorite forums a few days early asking everyone to say "Have a good Independence Day" ahead of time and "Happy Independence Day" on the actual day.
It isn't what people are used to hearing, so it can be a good conversation starter and/or teaching opportunity. It might wake a couple of people up.

The signers of that document risked everything- everything they had or would ever have- so I think we should make the effort to say Happy Independence Day in recognition of it.