PDA

View Full Version : Alloy Mix Calculator - MS Excel

garandsrus
08-20-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi,

I had used some alloy calcuators from other folks but didn't really care for them. Most of them told me what the mix was when adding different amounts of two alloys, but didn't help me get to the alloy I wanted, so I created my own Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, which is attached.

If you have any comments or suggestions, they would be appreciated. I don't really like the color scheme, but couldn't think of anything better...

John

steveb
08-20-2006, 12:38 AM
I was half asleep and opened that thing up and WOW them are some bright colors. Looks fine to me and thanks for posting this!

crazy mark
08-20-2006, 12:46 AM
I'll have to play with it later but it looks nice and the colors do stand out.
Thanks, Mark

Lee W
08-20-2006, 08:21 AM
I can't download it. It's forbidden..

Never mind. Zone alarm is good...

Explorer1
08-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Neat tool!
FYI - while some color combinations are more soothing than others, colors are a preference thing as much as anything.
The use of colors is a GREAT tool which not enough people use, glad you did.

grumpy one
08-20-2006, 10:12 PM
In Australia high-grade foundry type is 12-23-65, not 15-23-62, but that may be a difference from the US, I don't know. The only other trivial point I found is you have a typo on the word "antimony" in the left column. Otherwise yours is probably easier to use than mine, and certainly a whole lot prettier. I'll probably ditch mine and use yours. Thanks

Geoff

garandsrus
08-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Grumpy one - Thanks for finding the typo. I will correct it and re-link the file.

John

Cherokee
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM
Nice tool, I'll give it a try and compare to mine.

grumpy one
08-24-2006, 01:40 AM
It's probably not important to just about anyone else, but I kind of reserve the right to make multiple-ingredient alloys, so instead of listing the alternatives at the top then just calculating a mixture of two of them, I have mine set up to do mixtures of all of them at once. For any ingredient I'm not using, I just set the quantity at zero. It's only useful if you've accumulated a couple of oddball alloys along the way, and want to use them up eventually I suppose - or maybe if you find something on offer and want to see whether you can add it in to produce some new concoction. You have to be lucky to be able to get just what you want with only two alloys as ingredients.

Geoff

garandsrus
08-25-2006, 11:43 PM
Grumpy One,

Thanks for the comments... I agree with what you wrote.

To mix more than two alloys with what I wrote you would have to create "intermediate" alloys. The spreadsheet would tell you what the composition of the intermediate alloys is and then you could put that composition into the spreadsheet to get the final alloy mix. You could do any number of alloys this way. Simply copy and paste a set of calculations to create the next one.

I added the section where you can include pure tin and lead because it allows you to fine tune the alloy to what you want.

John