PDA

View Full Version : Kudos for Mountain Mold and Dan Lynch

fish_bait
05-10-2005, 06:57 PM
I ordered a mold from Dan Lynch of Mountain Molds back in February and it came yesterday. Like all boys with a new toy, I had to give it a test drive. Cleaned off the oil while the pot was heating and away we went. I have molds from several manufacturers and this is the best I have ever used. The bullets came out pretty and fully filled out almost from the beginning and I had no bad ones after the 4th batch of 2. Like a kid with a new toy I didn't stop until my other half yalled at me to come up for dinner. By then I had close to 500 very pretty little 7mm bullets. I highly recommend this man's work. I have not seen better in a mold. Mine is a two cavity iron and his price, $95, is more than reasonable for the quality. I got two nose punches to match, I tend to lose the things, and after sizing about 100 bullets this morning, I really began to appreciate a nose punch that actually fits the bullet.

This man does superior work.

The bullet was designed on his website design program. The bullet is a flat nose bore rider gas checked design for the 7-30 Waters in a 94 AE Winchester Carbine and weighs 125 grains w/ gas check.

seagiant
05-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Hi Fish Bait,
Thanks for the report! I have never heard anything but praise for this guys work and you're write up confirms it. The price for a custom mold is also great news seeing how some commercial mold are in the high $60's now. I have a question I'd like to ask,I don't usually pour to many rifle bullets but have now been bitten by the TC Contender bug and find myself rubbing shoulders with some lever action calibers you might say. While we have a nice picture of you're bullet can you explain to me what exactly is a "bore riding bullet"? I see that you're bullet has 3 bands that look as if thy are what is engaging the rifling but that dos'nt seem like anything new. Any help with this would be appreciated! Thanks again!

felix
05-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Simply, a bore rider boolit is defined as one boolit having a nose, and only the nose portion which contacts the lands, ideally with some engraving, but does not come even close to contacting the grooves. I personally call them land riders rather than bore riders. The gun's bore is the final round drilling before the grooves are installed. The bore becomes the lands after the grooves are installed. ... felix

seagiant
05-11-2005, 08:11 PM
Hi Felix,
Thanks for the info! Does this mean that the nose pretty much matches the bore diameter and then can also have some driving bands that are engaged with the lands? This would mean that the only difference is that the other type bullets the nose is not supported by the bore and free riding so to speak? Hopefully I've got this right??? Thanks again!

ammohead
05-11-2005, 10:54 PM
The bullet is a flat nose bore rider gas checked design for the 7-30 Waters in a 94 AE Winchester Carbine and weighs 125 grains w/ gas check.[/QUOTE]

f_b,

Will be interested in hearing results, load data etc. I have a 94 AE XTR rifle with 24" bbl. I haven't played with it in a long time, but have a 130 gr lfn LBT gas check mould that does surprisingly well with 39 gr of VV n160. Keep us all posted on results. Looks like a damn nice bullet, and sounds like a great mould. Perhaps if I cast some of my 130s up we could do a swap?

I hear nothing but good about this maker. Gonna have to have him make me something. Maybe that jumptrap flat nose 140 in 6.5 that I missed out on by just a little bit the first time.

ammohead

fish_bait
05-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Ammohead,

My use of my new bullet will be as a paper puncher and pest controller, rats in and around the barn.

I have already worked up loads for a bullet a friend of mine made me. The bullet is very close to the mold I got from MM and were cast a whole different way, lost wax. The three loads I have so far found to be most accurate are:

1. 18 gr. of H4895, Remington or Winchester case, Win WLR primer
2. 15 gr. of IMR4227, Remington or Winchester case, Rem 9 1/2 primer
3. 10 gr. of IMR SR4756 (not 4759), Remington or Winchester case, Rem
9 1/2 primer

All loads are in new fireformed brass. I found the brand of primer was really not that critical, because these are all reduced velocity loads. I was basically using up the few Remingtons I had and then went to the Win WLR. I have also used Federal primers, but they are not as easy to find and are $5-$6 per thousand higher (I'm cheap, I admit it). Also the huge Federal boxes are a pain to store.

Velocities are not going to set records. The slowest is the 10 gr. of 4756 at 1450fps. The other two are give or take 1600fps. This was 10' from the muzzle. None of them get up enough pressure to fully fireform a case and 7-30 is not hard to form.

I have shot 250 of the bullets so far. Groups at 50 yards are all 2" and under with my old sorry eyes and a Williams receiver sight. I know a scope would help, but at the range the rats are, a scope would be useless.

BD
05-13-2005, 06:11 PM
Dan is the Man IMHO. He does what he says he's gonna. And his molds are as good as they get. I may have one or two fairly old molds for which I have a special fondness, and a not so old iron Ballisticast .44 WFN which gets some use, but if you weighed the bullets coming out of my molds, Dan's vs all the rest, Dans side would tip the scales and the truck. BD

9.3X62AL
05-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I like Dan's molds very much--mine are aluminum (3 so far), and I'll be ordering 2-3 more shortly--just crunching the numbers right now.

Ballistics in Scotland
05-14-2005, 01:58 AM
I couldn't agree more about the quality of Dan's work, and the really priceless nature of his online bullet design utility. It is worth playing around with even when you aren't buying - but I think most people who start out that way will soon be customers.

I may be one of very few to have had a quality control issue with Dan. The machining of the cavity was, as usual, superb. But the bar from which the blocks were made hadn't been milled flat quite to the edge, and the result was a gap that would have left a flange of considerable thickness on the rear of the mould line. Dan replaced it with no argument whatsoever, which is far better, in my book, than investing in huge machines which work when an employee presses a button. People get artistic subsidies from public money for a lot less than Dan does.