PDA

View Full Version : Primer removal?

HeavyMetal
07-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Going to put this here as I'm just not sure where it might go.

Resizing 45 auto brass today getting it ready to trim, ream primer pockets that kind of stuff.

Working with a small batch of Fiocchi case's and get one that de prime's "wierdly"!

Won't come out of the shell holder??

Pull shell holder and case together, one more reason I like the "universal" snap in type shell holders, and I see a piece of the primer sticking down out of the pocket.

Thinking it got side ways during depriming I pushed it back flush with the case head and was able to remove the case from the shell holder.

Upon inspection I realize that the "top" of the primer came off but the primer body itself never moved!

How does one remove a decapitated primer from a case?

My thought is I will take my primer pocket reamer and slowly feed it in until the primer is gone and the pocket floor is reamed correctly.

However what would I do if I did not have a reamer??

It's only one case, but it could be more. I won't lose sleep over tossing one case but if I had several thousand of these and it became a 7 or 8% issue, or worse, I might get a little cranky about it.

So anybody else ever have this problem?

Hope to see some other ideas posted for newbie's to reference!

lylejb
07-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Honestly, I'd just toss it.

While you might be able to get it out without damaging the pocket, it would be more work than it's worth.

45 isn't that hard to find.

HeavyMetal
07-03-2010, 11:24 PM
This is really a "What If" question.

I have no worries about tossing this case and I'm going to tackle it just for the challange but, considering the current lack of primers and the supposed "round the clock" production, we may see this type of problem become common place because of lacking Quality Control.

So my thought was how would someone deal with it?

I will agree that this is "Sky is falling" stuff but think the response's may be interesting.

mooman76
07-04-2010, 12:27 AM
I had some that the depriming pin went through the primer. I could have tossed the case but I didn't have a lot of them. I used an awl to dig down in the primer pocket to dig it out.

DLCTEX
07-04-2010, 08:47 AM
I've had some military 38 Special cases with crimped in primers do that, but I just tossed them.

Moonie
07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
In processing about 800 45 acp cases I had this happen on 1. As I had about 800'of them I tossed it rather than fool with it.

DCP
07-04-2010, 09:18 AM
These are the types of rounds I save for seater die setting with differant boolits
I just hate using a GOOD brass

But a walnut pick works good

deltaenterprizes
07-04-2010, 09:27 AM
That is a common problem in the commercial reloading industry , it is called a "ringer". It is caused by corrosion between the case and primer sometimes caused by the case getting wet. There are tools that remove the "ring" on some case processors. Case processors deprime, ream the primer pocket and check for cracks and some also size the case. A case processor goes hand in hand with an automatic loading machine like a Camdex or Ammoload and run about $10,000.
Midway sold a hand tool to remove the ring also.

Echo
07-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Maybe a thin knife blade between the pocket and the residue? to bend the residue away from the pocket some? Then a scratch awl, or jewelers screwdriver, or somesuch, to complete the bending and removal?

HeavyMetal
07-04-2010, 08:17 PM
For those who are interested: the Sinclair primer pocket reamer made short work of my "ringer"!

It did cut it down to the last .025 before the last bit of primer tipped up and I pulled it out as a small ring of brass.

Glad it wasn't stainless steel!

Only took a little bit longer than it would have had I only been reaming the pocket so no major hassle there.

leftiye
07-04-2010, 08:27 PM
I'd just use thin a scratch awl, and dig it out. Or, you could drive it between the primer and the case and pull it out that way. Shouldn't hurt the primer pocket.

geargnasher
07-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I know it's a "what if" thing, but if it came to that I'd have to start taking out my frontstuffers and knapping some flints, 'cause it'll have to be TEOTWAWKI before .45ACP brass is worth that kind of trouble.

Gear

mike in co
07-06-2010, 03:18 PM
This is really a "What If" question.

I have no worries about tossing this case and I'm going to tackle it just for the challange but, considering the current lack of primers and the supposed "round the clock" production, we may see this type of problem become common place because of lacking Quality Control.

So my thought was how would someone deal with it?

I will agree that this is "Sky is falling" stuff but think the response's may be interesting.

no and no and just toss it.

its not a primer quality issue and your time is worth more than you have spent on the issue so far...
toss it in your scrap pile and move on........( dont throw brass away it has value)

Moonie
07-06-2010, 03:32 PM
I know it's a "what if" thing, but if it came to that I'd have to start taking out my frontstuffers and knapping some flints, 'cause it'll have to be TEOTWAWKI before .45ACP brass is worth that kind of trouble.

Gear

Yea, that is my thoughts exactly, I have alot of 45 brass though.

trk
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I've had it happen so often (primer separation) that I just toss ALL Fiocchi brass in the scrap brass box.

376Steyr
07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
If tossing the case isn't an option, and the prying method doesn't work, and I didn't have a dedicated primer pocket reamer; I'd clamp the case in a soft-jawed vise and use a drill press and a bit just big enough to grab the inside of the left-behind primer ring. Maybe I'd soak the primer in Liquid Wrench for good measure.

beagle
07-07-2010, 10:47 PM
Some of the old RA 60s .45 ACP brass had primers that did that after they had gotten wet. Supposedly these were non corossive but something in the residue when combined with water affected the primers and caused the faces to pop off the primers when depriming.

I never did figure a way to salvage them and trashed them when that happened./beagle