PDA

View Full Version : .41 magnum?

armoredman
07-03-2010, 06:26 PM
My landlord mentioned he was interested in getting some loads made up for his 41 mag, says he has dies/brass, would basically provide components, but I guess I am going to need a mould for that size. Any reccomendations/anyone having an extra laying about for cheap? :)
Seriously, I have never loaded this caliber before, don't know anything about it. All I have in pistol powders is AA#2 and #7, and small pistol primers. I am willing to bet this takes a large mag primer....
His eyes lit right up when he saw my casting/reloading setup...
No, I am not selling these loads to him, nor in consideration for any other finacial compensation, that would be illegal, I am helping because I love loading, and this guy is very cool.
Any thoughts/ideas/kick in the pants?

257 Shooter
07-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Large Pistol primers. AA 7 will work for less that full power loads. W296 or H110 for full power loads. Unique is good for plinking. Do a search on 41 Mag and you will find a lot of good info. Sorrt, I do not have an extra. One you shoot one and get the load right you will have to have a.41 mag.

canyon-ghost
07-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Just happen to be loading that myself. A 41 Remington Magnum is great. Uses Large Pistol primers (don't need Magnums since it has more than enough case capacity). It's a 1 in 20" twist that will go far and fast. Cool caliber.
Takes upward of 15.0 grains of AA#9, that's the starting load from Lyman 49th, I'm using 14.3 grains of 2400 or so (still working it up). I've found that 15.7 grains of 2400 makes a good all around load, shoot it in my Blackhawk.

Ole
07-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I have helped my buddy make rounds for his .41 Mag and we've always used H110.

I have loaded everything from 170 grain hollow points all the way up to the 300 grain WFN bullets that we bought from Beartooth bullets.

As others have said, AA#7 will work, just not for optimal velocities.

Guesser
07-03-2010, 08:28 PM
For average every day use just kicking around out in the breaks, I cast Lyman 410032 from WW. Drops @ 212/213 gr. and works well for general purpose loads. I load mine using Surplus #107 powder, same burn rate as A#7 but much bulkier. Pleasant to shoot and as accurate as I can shoot anymore. Commercially cast 210/215 SWC will work too, if he wants to provide bullets.

lwknight
07-03-2010, 08:35 PM
Powder and bullet choices will be clones to .357 magnum and 44 magnum.
With exception to case capacity and bullet weight.

Heavy lead
07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
My three 657's get fed a steady diet of 8.5 grains of Unique with either the NEI 220 Keith or the Mihec 230 LFN. They are all great shooters. I recently had Mountain Moulds cut me a 80% meplat 250 grain plain base in a 3 cavity I'm going to start do some developement with 2400 and 'Lil Gun. 'Lil Gun works so well in my .357's I just have to give it a try and see.

IMO the 41 is much more like the 44 than the 357, also the 41 gives up little to the 44, which is really a 43 anyway.

lwknight
07-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I was actually referring to the sectional density of the bullet and the column of powder.
Its the same or very close regardless of bore in these 3 calibers.
You could theoretically use a recipe like: Put 7/8" of powder for a bullet that is 5/8" long
and have the same pressures.

skeettx
07-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I load 10 grains of Unique, and the Ohaus 210 grain cast bullet made of wheel weights. The 10 grains is plenty fast for this bullet and it shoots like a laser and you can use standard large pistol primers.

Use at your own jeopardy and I would start with 9.0 grains.

I shoot mine in a Smith 57 6" and a Ruger Blackhawn 4 5/8".
Mike

quilbilly
07-04-2010, 01:41 AM
I just finished a session of shooting cb's in my Contender this morning. I am getting fine accuracy at 50 yards with 6.6 gr of Bullseye that chronographs about 1200 fps. No gas checks or leading so far with my alloy. For jacketed projectiles I use 8.0 gr of Bullseye to achieve the same velocities.
For my Ruger Blackhawk 41 mag I just worked up a light load (a little more than a cat sneeze load) with 5.9 gr of Unique for a velocity of about 750 fps. Have not checked accuracy yet but it is certainly fun to shoot.

missionary5155
07-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Good morning Armoredman
I am another of those 41 mag affectionados. Been at it since 1982 when I bought my Dan Wesson for steel shooting.
First thing is a discussion with the feller what kind of shooting he is looking at. Communication is always the place to start and continue. Is his revolver in good shape? What size are the cylinder throats? What kind of accuracy is he looking for? Can he shoot a revolver safely and accurately?
Next as HE will be buying the componets get him to buy the mold(s) IF he really wants lead boolits... If all he wants is cheap shooting he can buy bulk jacketed reasonable or even Commercial Cast.
Are some plinkers all that he wants? That is easy. Your two powders will cover that. But again let HIM buy those. I use Unique for much of my "Under Mag" Loadings.. BUT there are some real good newer powders out there. ACC #5 and your #7. Would be right there as basic powders. Get him involved from the start.. you may make a reloader out of him.
Any plain base Boolit from 185-220 will take care of 90% plinking, small game, practice, competition and "Repel Boarders" loadings. The 210īs are the basic size the 41 was designed around. A Lee 2 cavity 210 Plain Base mold NEW will set him back about $25 and will produce a descent boolit.
So again sit down and communicate. Explain the process and find out his mind set. Get him involved in the whole of it.
Mike in Peru

armoredman
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Good thinking, sir. I was interested in getting the mould because I am a packrat, which is why this last move was so painful, having to downsize some furniture, etc.But you're right, I should get him to pony up on the components - I just get a little excited at the thought of a new caliber to cast/load for.
He did say it was a fun gun, since he wasn't in Alaska anymore defending from bears, so the message was plinking.:Fire:
He used to reload, but quit when some equipment was lost, and never got back into it. Maybe I'll get him back into loading and he can pay to keep me supplied with casting alloy, eventually. 8-)
I'll be chatting with him again on Tuesday, when he comes to fix the back door.:roll:

runfiverun
07-04-2010, 12:12 PM
i use three type loads in my 41 mags.
the 4-5 titegroup no g/c on a g/c boolit.
8-10 grs unique use that with the wadcutter for stuff type loads to about 75 yds.
and the 14-16 grs 2400 with xtp's or with the g/c on the lyman 210.
might could go faster with h 110 or aa 1680 but really haven't seen the need.
if i want more i have supermags for that.

fourarmed
07-04-2010, 06:48 PM
RCBS 210 Keith is available and good. I like 6 grains of 231 for a plinking load.

jimone
07-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I've shot a ton of the Lee TL210 SWC with 6 gr AA#2 and CCI 300 primer. 1000 fps from 6.5 " Blackhawk, a little faster from 1894S Marlin. Works great on Rabbits etc, same power as 45 acp.

Nose Dive
07-04-2010, 08:36 PM
yep...10 gr. of unique is a monster load for a 210 grain boolit.

I'd check the 'book' and follow instructions. I like unique. Old powder, shoots is just about all the guns made and is fairly priced. I like the 210 weight. Wish I had the $ to buy a good '3 holer' with a wide meplat...maybe 230 or so....just a bit heavier. Carry my 41 while in the field. My 44 has a 8-3/8' barrel and is a bit cumbersome. If I'm in my stand, the 44 tags along. In the field, walking,,the 6" 41 is eaiser to fit around my rotund belly.

Check your primers too. With out lookin in my book, can't say what I use. May be Magnum primers...may not be...dunno and book is upstairs. Follow a commercial manual and you will be fine. Starline makes good brass.

The ole 41 is really a secret. Is much more business like than the 357 and with the right pistol, is eaiser to manage than the '44 and up' contingent. I have small hands and weak arms so the 41 gives me a bit more authorithy if insulted in the field by bears or hogs.

Yea, I know, can carry a "CANNON" and take no back talk, but, that ain't why I am out walkin' around in the woods lookin for venision.

Oh yea...I think Elmer Keith's PET LOAD for the 41 was 8.5 gr of Unique over the 41 style that carries his name. Dunno for sure....Like I say..that too is in the book and the book is upstairs.

NOSE DIVE