PDA

View Full Version : Mica powder on Lee Alox bullets

foxtrapper
07-03-2010, 02:37 PM
What is the procedure to apply mica on those sticky bullets? I just received a Mountain Mold in .512 FNGC [truly fast ordering turn around] and am using Lee's alox to lube. I was making a Midway order and remembered reading that applying mica powder to alox bullets made them less sticky. Now that I have the powder how do you apply it? Thanks

mpmarty
07-03-2010, 03:09 PM
To each his own, but I use the same plastic tub and dump the semi-dried boolits into it and sprinkle on a little mica and shake rattle and roll. Gives them a nice grey/white color and they aren't sticky any more.

mroliver77
07-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Same as Marty but mica will stick to alox in any state of dryness. I rarely TL but for light plinkers I have some that do not get sized only TL and mica and they work great and keep the "Mule Snot" off my hands.
Jay

Trader Vic
07-03-2010, 05:03 PM
I put my bullets in a plastic zip lock bag & just sprinkle a very small amt of the powdered mica on them. Then zip it up & roll the bag around in my hands. It works great, no sticky bullets & they have a nice sheen to them. When I say a small amt I mean a very little bit, a little goes a long way with powdered mica. I hope this helps.

Charlie Two Tracks
07-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I use a different tupperware container than the one I use for lubing. I use the 45-45-10 mix and they aren't sticky but I wanted the Mica on them anyway. I'm just getting into this lubing stuff.

Rocky Raab
07-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I use LLA or JPW (or a mix of the two) for every cast bullet. I also use the same plastic tub - mine is a pickle jar - for both the LLA and mica the day after.

foxtrapper
07-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys. Gonna raid mama's cupboard for another tupperware container :!:

Rusty Shackleford
07-03-2010, 07:25 PM
I dust and store 'em in old peanut butter and miracle whip jars. We too poor for Tupperware.

Freightman
07-03-2010, 08:03 PM
If you want them to smell good use baby talcum powder no more sticky and the fellow next to you will give you a strange look.

wmitty
07-03-2010, 10:17 PM
randy, I wondered if I was the only one using Jif jars and Miracle Whip empties as storage containers.

d.b.

EDK
07-03-2010, 11:54 PM
randy, I wondered if I was the only one using Jif jars and Miracle Whip empties as storage containers.

d.b.

...and tin coffee cans and plastic coffee tubs and ice cream containers and....

If it is reasonably stout and has a lid...and sometimes not!...it's going to have boolits, brass or loaded ammo in it.

Three44s
07-04-2010, 01:32 AM
I prefer to dust mica on LLA'ed boolits after they have dried somewhat.

The sooner you dust them after liquid lubing ...... the more mica it takes.

One trick I do add to my LLA is powdered moly ....... it's black and darned messy but I believe it helps my loads.

Three 44s

timkelley
07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Lets hear it for JIF jars!

Lee
07-04-2010, 12:32 PM
OK, I'll bite. Does the mica have any detrimental effect on the barrel, action, whatever?? Just to keep the thread going!

RBak
07-04-2010, 12:57 PM
I've been using just plain Johnson's Baby Powder for some time now, and the old saying that a "lil' dab will do ya" seems to apply here too.

Someone mentioned this years ago on this forum and they got some very negative remarks about 'clogging' the rifling, resulting in leading.

I can not say this is not true and doesn't happen, but I can say it has never happened to me...not that I would somehow know enough to prevent it.
I simply shake a bit of Baby Powder over my bullets in a plastic margarine bowl, shake it up a bit and the bullets turn out slick and shinny as a baby's butt.
For all I know, I may very well be on the original can of Baby Powder.

Russ