PDA

View Full Version : Back in the game

emorris
07-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Today was the first day I have casted since my motorcycle wreck on 04/05/10 ( I tried to play chicken with a MACK truck , not really it turned in front of me and I had no place to go other than its grill). I tried to attach some pictures hopefully they will come through. Well getting back to casting. I received my new lee pro 4 pot and a new 9mm mold today. Im still in my wheel cahir and unable to access my old set up. I ended up with a pice of plywood on top of a cooler on the front porch. My wife actually help with set up. I was in a hurry to start I forgot about safety, and casted with my crocs on instead of shoes. After I emptied one pot of lead I decided to go for another. When I fluxed the second pot with wax, I forgot about the flashover and pulled my hand back fast, with the spoon I was using. Murphy's law kicked in and lead went all over my left foot. Beside the fact that I burned my foot it was a good casting session. I casted about 300 9mm with my lee 124gn tc and 150 lee 140gn swc. I checked the weight of the 9mm and it ranged from 124.6gn to 126.4 gn.

Muddy Creek Sam
07-02-2010, 10:31 PM
emorris,

That looks like a real ouch! Glad your back and casting. BTW, I are a SC Morris.

Sam :D

45nut
07-02-2010, 10:34 PM
ouch!

osage
07-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Glad to see your able to be back in the game. Pics posted fine.
Last week I started riding again after 30+ years. Some thing for me to learn from.

Let us know how the 9's work for you.

Eagles6
07-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Glad you're gettin' back.
Castin' should be good therapy!

docone31
07-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Wow, dude.
A testamonial to
Old Bikers don't die, they just smell that way.
That was my greatest fear in my Bike years. Had a few close ones.
Sounds like the wife is helping. Mine left when I was in a body cast.
Good for her, good for you, keep on casting. It gets better, not easier.
Wow. That is the stuff nightmares are made of for sure.

qajaq59
07-03-2010, 07:10 AM
Hurry up and get out of the chair......

Someone recently asked about building a new reloading and casting room in their garage in one of the forums. I suggested tha he make sure the door was wide enough for a wheel chair because I recently spent 5 months in one of them. Luckily my door was big enough, but you want to keep that in mind guys because you never know when your legs are going to get replaced by wheels.
And what I hated on my bikes was dogs. I had one near the house years ago that I finally sprayed with ammonia out of a water pistol before he got me killed.

Three44s
07-03-2010, 09:11 AM
You are ONE TOUGH BIRD!!!

Thank God for the luck you did have and thank goodness for your wife!

But your determination is something that should inspire us all!!!

Good casting!!!

Three 44s

Charlie Two Tracks
07-03-2010, 12:04 PM
emmoris. Glad to see that you are recovering from that wreck. Let me guess.... he didin't see you. He should get 5 years for just saying that! I ride a touring bike and it gets a little frustrating at times. We put on an average of 9,000 miles a year.

mdi
07-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Harley, meet Mack. Good to see you can still function! :holysheep My Harley met a Corvette in '79 and it took me two operations and nearly six months to get going again. When the insurance pays off, go get another bike, you'll appreciate it even more! :cool:

Casting and reloading are good therapy. I had a similar prob. with casting barefoot and it only took one time for it to sink into my semi-old brain; always wear shoes! Shooting is good for helping the recovery too. Just wheel yourself up to the line and fire away...

mroliver77
07-03-2010, 04:14 PM
I TBoned a deer one night a few years ago at road speed. I slid on my leather for 250 feet. I got up and walked away unscratched. Flks that witnessed it could not believe I was OK. My wife was not happy as I had just got my neck brace off after 6 months in it from a neck operation. I have a 9 year old that says I will not ride if she can stop me. I love riding but I need to be around for her. There is a lot of people on the road that should not be!
Glad you are recovering and getting the "therapy" you need on the front porch. Prayers for you and the good wife!
Jay

NSP64
07-03-2010, 05:23 PM
emorris, glad its working out ok. I disagree with mdi, when the insurance pays off buy more guns and molds. I was lucky when some lady pulled out in front of me in 92. I was only going 35mph. Its been tough, this time of year, but I went and ordered a new .308 this morning. LOL