PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Chrony software?

gcollins
07-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Howdy Pards,
I have been a active reloader since 1973. Back when I started chronographs were so costly nobody could afford to own one. Now days they are cheap and I finialy bought a used one. I have been reading about the software programs that you can use to calulate your ballistics.
There are programs you can buy, and I have seen programs that are free. Is there anyone on here using one of the free versions, if so which one and how well does it work?
Thanks
Gcollins

AZ-Stew
07-02-2010, 11:47 AM
In my book, they're all about the same. The commercial versions seem to be targeted (pardon the pun) at those who use factory ammo. In that regard, they're no better than the charts that used to be in the pamphlets the ammo manufacturers cranked out each year. You select a factory load from the available list and it tells you the ballistics. They usually have a way to input data from a chronograph, but it's all manual and very tedious. I have the software from Oehler, RCBS, Lee and Sierra and I'm not particularly impressed.

The free versions are better in that they leave out the factory load data and let you type in your chrono data. These vary in their ability to produce chart traces so you can compare one load or bullet against another. (Edit: I haven't downloaded any free ballistics programs for a couple of years, so there may now be something better out there.)

When I bought my Chrony 8-10 years ago I bought their software with it. It wouldn't load on my computer. I won't tell you who I work for, but suffice it to say, I'm computer literate and had up to date hardware at the time. I called them and they admitted their software had some "problems". They knew it and sold it anyway. I returned it for a refund. I don't know whether they've fixed it yet, and I don't want to spend the $$ to find out. Too bad. What they advertised was that the software would download the data from the Chrony (with the accessory cable), then it would do all the necessary calculations for each string and plot the traces after you input atmospheric conditions (humidity, elevation, wind, etc.) as you would with most other ballistic software.

I'd like to develop a good program designed for handloaders, but I don't know any software developers. It should have the same basics as the Chrony software promised, with an attractive, intuitive interface and good capabilities for comparing and plotting curves for several loads. If anyone knows of such a program, please let me know.

Regards,

Stew

gcollins
07-03-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey Stew,
thanks for the info. I assumed that there wasn't much differnce in the pay software vs the free software. Yes it would be nice to have a software program that you could down load your data from the chrony to a laptop and then analize it and print off charts.
You see I am disabled and have a ton of time on my hands, a lot of that time i am un able to get up and about but I have a laptop in my room and that would give me something else to do when my back is hurting me that away. I pretty much don't do anything except a little shooting now days.I find that life is fickle, when you have your health to do things, you either don't have the money or the time to injoy it. If you have the money and the time your health won't let you do anything. I plan on testing my loads for all my differnt calibers, just to see how close they are! On my pistol loads I am not very concerned, I don't target shoot and i feel my pistol loads are good enough. But I like my rifle loads to be spot on! I hand scale every rifle load.
What free program do you suggest?
Thanks again.
GCollins

AZ-Stew
07-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Since all the free programs are free, just download them all and see which you like. You may have to do a search for them. The ones I have are on another computer, so I don't have their names handy.

Regards,

Stew

jandbn
07-05-2010, 07:20 PM
g,
This website lists a bunch of software, both free and for $: http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics/software/software.shtml.

I have tried both Modern Ballistics (shareware - http://www.modernballistics.com/download.htm) and PointBlank (free - http://www.huntingnut.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3). Hopefully they may be of use to you.

gcollins
07-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Thanks a bunch guys!! I need all the help I can get!! It has rained every day since I got my chrony, so I havn't even got to play with it.
Thanks again.
G