PDA

View Full Version : Range improvements

Jack Stanley
07-01-2010, 02:17 PM
I've been on vacation all week long but rather than lay around , I've been working like a rented Mississippi mule . So far I've got fruit trees sprayed , garage and basement cleaned gun show prepped for , lawn mowed amongst other stuff I've forgotton by now . The biggest thing I got myself into is range renovations . my range isn't just a pile of dirt to throw bullets into . When the house was being built and there was heavy equipment driving around I had them move around some dirt and make a nice berm and blend it into the backyard .

All this dirt in a pile , rather than just have it get washed into the yard and look like a mess I made a border of old tires . You might think , real tacky huh? but no , I picked the same size and tread pattern for each stack so it didn't look bad and was easy to care for . Well , after fifteen years the dirt in them has settled quite a bit the 06 has ripped a few of them up even though targets were hung above the tires and I want to make it look nice again .

So , the plan is move and repack the tires again and make a three station twenty-five meter firing line for reduced targets . Also make a new impact area for hundred yard shooting and make sockets in the ground for the target frames . A plus would be to make a couple of spots for the targets that spend the year in the weather so they aren't in the way of any other function .

I've got about twelve hours into this so far and have about fifteen tires moved and packed . I was just finishing up leveling the lines the tires are going to be at and took a break in the shade just sitting on the tractor . You've all heard the statement " the things ya see when ya don't have a gun " I'm sure . There I was , minding my own business resting a little and thinking about going to make lunch when I heard rustlling in the grass on the berm . There in all it's glory came chuckzilla to see who was dissing his turf . Just twenty feet away it stood on it's hind legs to get a better look at me and I thought it was a rather large beastie as chucks go . It was after all twice the size of the steel woodchuck target that hangs on the other end of the berm . The day before yesterday I was carrying the four inch twenty-nine but today was no joy but one of these days ........ POW !! right in the kisser !!

Well , it looks like the shade has moved to where I want to work , lunch is done so I have no excuse not to get busy . The sooner I get done the sooner my neice and nephew can enjoy it .

Jack

qajaq59
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
Jack, if you run out of work before you dissipate all that energy, I have some chores around here that need doing. LOL

Seriously though it sounds like your range should be all set pretty soon.

ghh3rd
07-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Sounds like a nice setup... I'm envious! Someday I hope to live where I can shoot my guns on my own property. We are currently moving from a townhouse to 1+ acre with half of it still wooded. I'd like to let my son at least practice with his bow, but unfortunatly don't feel comfortable with that since there are people on the other side of the woods (imagine their surprise if an arrow comes flying out of the brush).

For now, at least we've graduated to being to use our airguns in the back yard.

Enjoy your project, and it's rewards.

Randy

Shiloh
07-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Pictures Jack!! WE need to see!!

Shiloh

Jack Stanley
07-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Energy ?? .... pictures ???? fellas c'mon the only reason I'm not older than dirt is because my Dad's still with us .

I keep telling myself this range work is for the betterment of the young'uns . And pictures ??? I read about how to do it but I don't think It's gonna happen [smilie=b:

Jack

Dannix
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Well, if you can get the photo onto your computer then when you post, scroll down to "Attach Files, Manage Attachments" and attach it to your thread post.

You're not the only one with 'how do I post photos' questions. Maybe I should do a proper how-to thread...

blackthorn
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Quote "You're not the only one with 'how do I post photos' questions. Maybe I should do a proper how-to thread... "

YES!!! Dannix please do!

Doby45
07-02-2010, 01:33 PM
The absolute easiest way is to go to www.tinypic.com

Select the file/picture you want to upload from your computer.

It will process it and then provide you with a message board link that you can copy and then paste here. Easy peasy..

I can post a quick down and dirty with pictures. :)

The first image below shows what it looks like after you have gone to tinypic.com and then selected your file from your computer. Change the Resize to "Message board" and then hit UPLOAD NOW. It will ask you to key in some funny looking letters and then it will process.

http://i48.tinypic.com/mwsg7s.jpg

This is what happens after it processes your upload. You can then copy the text in the box marked "IMG Code for Forums and message Boards."

Then simply past that text in your post here. TA DA!!!!!

http://i48.tinypic.com/105e7gp.jpg

Jack Stanley
07-02-2010, 09:21 PM
Since 'puters and I don't get along I have been indeed fortunate to be able to have used photobucket for as long as I have . The down side is , I get the film processed in town and then scan the photos to my drive then upload them to photobucket . Don't tell me my digital camera can load them directly into the 'puter ... remember what I said about me and 'puters ?? :brokenima

Today I got to sockets cemented into the base line and another dozen or so tires moved . Tomorrow is the gun show , next week I hafta be back at work .... I'm tellin' ya that day job gets in the way of so many worthy projects :lol:

Jack

Dannix
07-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Jack, I posted a how-to on posting pictures here: How to post images and make clickable-thumbnails in forums (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87807)
Let me know if any parts of it need improvement.

Now concerning getting images from your camera to your computer...well that's a whole different game of computer ineptitude. ;)
:kidding:

You can probably got two routes: A USB A to USB mini-A or mini-B, depending on your camera, or you can just get a USB Card Reader. Considering you have a digital camera, that money going the film processing center could be put to other uses.
USB A (standard USB interface) to mini-A (http://www.usbcable.com/94-3996.jpg)
USB A (standard USB interface) to mini-B (http://www.usbcable.com/94-3821.jpg)

I would recommend newegg.com for whatever cable you need or if you go the card reader route, or something like this (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/USB268READ/)

qajaq59
07-03-2010, 06:20 AM
next week I hafta be back at work .... I'm tellin' ya that day job gets in the way of so many worthy projects Now you know why us old retired dudes are generally in a good mood. NOTE: I said generally.........[smilie=l:

Jack Stanley
07-03-2010, 10:01 PM
Dannix , if you're saying I can pull 'em off my hard drive and post them direct , cool ! . When things slow down I'll hafta try it , no time now 'cause I'm sure if I kick over the 'puter rock I'm gonna find a guy named Murphy .

qajag , I'm hoping I can enjoy a little bit of retirement before the governments (plural) figure out a way to nationalize all retirement fund for the good of the nation and we are all reduced to eating dandelion greens again .

I took a break from muling dirt and tires today , had a gun show to set up at and watch the funny people walking past the table .

Jack

mpmarty
07-04-2010, 12:31 AM
I've been retired since 1/1/2009 and can't for the life of me figure out how I ever found the time to go to work before.

Dannix
07-04-2010, 12:39 AM
Yup, if you have a digital camera, you can move that digital image file from your camera to the forum. Check out the how-to thread once you have time to learn how and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

qajaq59
07-04-2010, 05:25 AM
Jack I like retirement so much I even enjoy the bad times......