PDA

View Full Version : which 308?

Sonoma2k2
07-01-2010, 12:00 AM
hey guys i been pondering on purchasing a 308win. I have no idea what to buy. here is my preferences though. bolt action,internal mag, syn stock, blued barrel heavy of course and quality also without going overboard.

I heard th rem vtr's didnt live up to what they were suppose to be. what about the SPS mods and some of the savages?? thanks for your input guys.:bigsmyl2:

giz189
07-01-2010, 12:05 AM
For an extremely accurate out of the box rifle, hard to beat a Savage.

azcruiser
07-01-2010, 12:19 AM
For the money Savage is hard to beat ==But take a look at the Steyr Mannlicher Pro Hunter
Got mine through cdnn investments in Texas sent to my local dealer think it was like 550 or 600
out shoots my savage 110 NICE GUN

Buckshot
07-01-2010, 12:44 AM
............I'd say Savage 10FP. Internal mag, synthetic stock, 24" hvy barrel, blued, large bolt knob, Accu-Trigger.

...............Buckshot

Mk42gunner
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
While I'm not that enamored of the accu-trigger; it is very hard to beat a Savage rifle, fro the price.

Robert

357maximum
07-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I have never been a savage fan.....dismissed them due to looks.....I was an idiot of the first degree on that one.:veryconfu

Over the last couple of years I have had the pleasure of playing with 2 savages(243/308) and one stevens 200 in 243.

My next modern bolt gun will be an American made Savage. I have learned to love the ugly little things I guess. I firmly believe that those 3 rifles are far more accurate than they should be for the money. The black plastic savage with the removeable clip magazine in 308 was the only one used with cast......but I was enamoured and impressed with that nice little rifle. I will own one.

JesterGrin_1
07-01-2010, 12:41 PM
Marlin XS-7 :)

pdawg_shooter
07-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Ranking them best to worst for best buy and accuracy; Savage is #1, Savage is #2, and finally Savage is #3.

JesterGrin_1
07-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I guess you have never looked at the new Marlin XS/XL line. Do a google search for them as they are a great shootin rifle and cheaper than the Savage plus the Savage and the Marlin have the same barrel threads just incase you would wish to change the barrel to something else at a later date. :)

And why do you need a Bull Barrel?

August
07-01-2010, 01:06 PM
I shoot a Remington 5R and my buddy shoots a Savage LR F-class. We shoot at 1000 yards every Thursday. We are always within a point, or two of score.

Last week we had a nice day with very little wind. I shot an honest, one M.O.A. group of ten shots at 1000 yards.

Loads, bullets, procedures, and trigger pulling are the decider about which of us shoots better on a given day.

So, I believe you would be very happy with the Remington SPS. The "Police" Remington has a better stock. And, of course, the 5R has a better stock and better barrel.

The Savages are excellent and you can do all your own gunsmithing on them.

When I was a kid, the Remington rifles I owned always worked well, and the savage guns I owned always broke. So, for no rational reason (times change), I'm partial to Remington. But, in our weekly 1K shootoffs, the Savage performs just as well.

357maximum
07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I guess you have never looked at the new Marlin XS/XL line. Do a google search for them as they are a great shootin rifle and cheaper than the Savage plus the Savage and the Marlin have the same barrel threads just incase you would wish to change the barrel to something else at a later date. :)

And why do you need a Bull Barrel?

I have looked at them but IMHO they would ba a difficult (not impossible) gun with cast due to the length of their throats. I think they may have bought their reamers from Roy Weatherby......other than that the marlin bolt rifles are a pretty good savage clone.

frankenfab
07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
I would like to cast my vote for the Savage.

6.5 mike
07-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Tang safety 77 ruger.

GabbyM
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Marlins advertise a 1-12" twist rate while Savage / Stevens uses a 1-10" twist.
Winchester Model 70 featherweight has a 1-12" twist also. Just one more thing to confuse a decision.

runfiverun
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
F class savage has 1-13 twist.
with a throat cut for the cast boolit you choose it would be pretty close to a custom built boolit shooter.
marlin has a long throat??? I didn't know that, I'm gonna have to look one over for that nei- loverign mold i have.

82nd airborne
07-01-2010, 10:53 PM
savages are hard to beat, the sps isnt to shabby either, but your money goes a little farther with the savage imho

Sonoma2k2
07-01-2010, 11:08 PM
man you guys are throwing alot out there especially on the savage line and i greatly appreciate it. the reason for the bull barrel is there isn't one really i just like the look I guess. I currently have my Yukon Denali for sale and my supervisor has made me an offer plus his Savage model 112 in 7mm STW with a leupold Vari II X 3x9. I don't hunt first off so i dont really need a moblie missle launcher lol. It's a good looking gun. syn stock and ss barrel, no accu trigger. I honestly dont even know what the gun is worth to sell. I wouldnt shoot it that much either so i am pretty much not gonna accept that offer. I got that rossi still that i won out at work. 357 mag in stainless so it could also go towards a rifle. ugh decisions decisions