PDA

View Full Version : Montevideo, Minnesota - moving soon!!!

selmerfan
06-30-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't know where else to post this, but I'm excited to say that my family and I will soon be moving to Montevideo, MN. I'll be serving two country churches in the Montevideo area and will become an ordained ELCA minister on July 17th! We're very excited about the move, and as my long-time friend and current South Dakota bishop tells me, "Make sure that whereever you're looking at taking a call has better hunting and fishing than where you're at now. Otherwise you'll never be happy." These are wise words passed onto him by a retired pastor. :) Is anyone from the area? I know I'll be stepping up in both hunting and fishing departments, plus they have a free gun range on the north end of town. :D
Peace,
Willie

crabo
07-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Congratulations! What does ELCA stand for?

Charlie Two Tracks
07-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Congratulations selmerfan. I wish you well. Big responsibility there.

exile
07-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Congratulations Willie. It sounds exciting and is a big responsibility. We will pray that God will bless your ministry in Minnesota.

exile

dakotashooter2
07-01-2010, 12:49 PM
The upside is you are getting closer to North Dakota.................[smilie=w:[smilie=w:

ghh3rd
07-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Congrats!

SWIAFB
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
selmerfan, myself and a couple of buddies go up there every August catfishing on the Minn river. PM me and maybe we can get together some evening .

Doby45
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Congratulations! What does ELCA stand for?

Evangelical Lutheran Church of America

WARD O
07-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Well welcome......

I went to high school about 50 miles east of there and used to make many trips to that area during the hunting seasons.

You will be near Lac Qui Parle (Lake that talks) goose refuge. There will be an awful lot of Canadian geese (and snows and blues as well as mallards) passing thru that area come fall. I used to hunt out there but it became too much of a circus. That was back in the 70's and 80's - now it is more regulated and still the birds come through by the thousands and thousands.

There is also very good walleye fishing on the Minnesota river. And like most rivers, the surrounding low lands and the farm areas hold lots of big whitetails! It's good pheasant territory as well - In the winter, go out and call or chase the willy coyote or fox with your varmint rifle. So.... what's your pleasure?

Sounds like you ought to be able to enjoy our state!

Ward

randyrat
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
First order you need a good pair of Snow Shoes......Unless you have some already.
Winter you need snow shoes and summer you have to have bug repelant.
I also am in a ELCA church. I'm not happy with that vote Well you know hat i'm talking about, but it's not going to make me change to a different sinod.

Also you will find a need for a 30-30 lever for the swampy areas where a 25 yd shots are common. Maybe a pistol would be better, thats what i do when i hunt cedar swamps. Congrats

9.3X62AL
07-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Congratulations, sir! That posting sounds like an outdoors person's suburb of Paradise, for sure.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-01-2010, 08:40 PM
Montevideo is 85 miles west of me.
I'm not sure what part of Iowa you are at now,
but once your west of Minneapolis and South of St. Cloud
the terrain is flat and mostly farmland just like most of Iowa
and so is Monte.

Monte is about 40 miles from Wilmar which is the begining
of the Lake country...Great fishing, hundreds of lakes.
The terrain changes there, lots less farm land, maybe good for hunting
but there is little public land to hunt, you need to know people.
I imagine a pastor would generate connections.
speaking of church,
I concur with the other post..."I'm not happy with the vote" either
I am MS now, but I grewup in, what was then LCA.

I think MN is quite strange politically.
although the generality of the Big Cities being
very Liberal and the suburbs are not so much.
that's all true,
BUT, this part of MN is very conservative
as is most of rural MN...except Northern MN
the iron rangers still have a liberal stronghold even
though there is not much mining goin on these days.
Duluth is like a little San Francisco.

hopefully we can meet up sometime.
feel free to ask me any questions
Jon

selmerfan
07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
I'll get to replying to you all this weekend or early next week, right now we spackling and painting like crazy and have a 6 hour drive back to Iowa this afternoon. We've been in Monte since Thursday, we're going to love this place! Plus, it's closer to SOUTH Dakota! :) And YES! I want to get together to go after some cats. I've heard about the river catfishing, but have no idea how to go about it. I'm a lakes fisherman for panfish, walleyes, and northern, river fishing is a new ballgame for me, but I do have a boat for it. :)
Peace,
Selmerfan