PDA

View Full Version : "Wonder sight"?

3006guns
06-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Not long ago I read an article about a new optical sight that seems to be a shooter's dream......especially if your eyes are getting a little "long in the tooth". It consisted of a small disc, something like an aperature, and allowed the human eye to focus on three objects at once......rear sight, front sight and target. If it works as claimed it would be the biggest sighting improvement in 500 years. I THOUGHT I saved the info in my favorites, but of course it's not there and I can't remember the name of the thing. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

BruceB
06-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Do a search up above for "Idaho national laboratory", and the article should be available there.

Eutectic
06-30-2010, 02:45 PM
30-06,

I believe you speak of the MicroSight. Developed by an INL employee. Not yet available but I anxiously await being able to get an aperture with its features!

Video below explains well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOJYYwytD8g

MtGun44
06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I doubt it will be legal in competition, although I suppose it could be permitted in some
sort of Senior class where you have to be 50 or 60 to use it.

I hope it turns out to be as inexpensive as it looks. I'd want a bunch of them, one
for each of my aperture sighted rifles.

Bill

HeavyMetal
06-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Seems I read an ad about this sight but so far have seen no reprt by a "known" reporter / writer.

Will check out the you tube video and google the lab listed above.

3006guns
06-30-2010, 10:04 PM
Thanks everyone........I can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Hopefully they'll be released in the near future!

Harry O
07-02-2010, 08:18 PM
You might want to check this:

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/wondersight/

deltaenterprizes
07-02-2010, 08:43 PM
The sight is called the "Micro Sight" in the article I read. Google search did not turn up anything. I hope they are available soon.

Bret4207
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
The Wonder Sight is an add on adjustable sight for older Smiths with fixed sights. Great tool, but not what the OP is asking for.

BruceB
07-02-2010, 10:48 PM
For Heaven's sake, folks...READ THE THREAD.

Regardless of what the thing is called, or what names were used decades back, the reference is to a major new technology under development at Idaho National Laboratory. Just google "idaho national laboratory rifle sight" and the article is the first one to come up.

IF it pans out, it could revolutionize iron-sight shooting.

garandsrus
07-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Very interesting! "Lenses" are OK in AR-15 rear sights in High Power matches. There are restrictions, such as 1.5 magnification.

John

unclebill
07-03-2010, 07:02 AM

Regardless of what the thing is called, or what names were used decades back, the reference is to a major new technology under development at Idaho National Laboratory. Just google "idaho national laboratory rifle sight" and the article is the first one to come up.

if i cant sound off with opinions without first reading the information that is handed to me on a silver platter.
forget it.....;-):kidding:

markinalpine
07-03-2010, 02:39 PM

I know I'm quibbling, but the Micro-sight adds a lens, so they really aren't exacly "Iron" sights anymore.

Very interesting! "Lenses" are OK in AR-15 rear sights in High Power matches. There are restrictions, such as 1.5 magnification.

John

I think the micro-sight doesn't magnify at all, ie 1X power.

if i cant sound off with opinions without first reading the information that is handed to me on a silver platter.
forget it.....;-):kidding:

Good one, unclebill. Sort of like the politician who recently declared he couldn't be bothered with reading the US Constitution.

Mark :coffeecom

BruceB
07-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Oh, it might be a wee bit of a quibble, but not much.

Just be aware that there are many formal shooting disciplines which already allow the use of a corrective lens and/or various-colored filters in an iron sight....and they're still classed as "iron" sights.

Such glass or plastic inserts do NOT change the mechanics of light the way this newly-proposed element does, so there may well be some serious deliberation on accepting or rejecting it for competition use.

markinalpine
07-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh, it might be a wee bit of a quibble, but not much.

Just be aware that there are many formal shooting disciplines which already allow the use of a corrective lens and/or various-colored filters in an iron sight....and they're still classed as "iron" sights.

Such glass or plastic inserts do NOT change the mechanics of light the way this newly-proposed element does, so there may well be some serious deliberation on accepting or rejecting it for competition use.

And how many of us could function at all, beside shooting firearms, without some sort of corrective lenses? :veryconfu

Mark [smilie=s:

PatMarlin
07-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Kinda like an iron site that acts like a scope. What a cool project to be involved with.

https://inlportal.inl.gov/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=1269&mode=2&featurestory=DA_549448

htomfields
07-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Here's a video of the MicroSight technology that the Idaho National Laboratory created.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=621878210854&saved#!/video/video.php?v=1135574766114&ref=mf