PDA

View Full Version : Triple 7 & Pyrodex in smokeless powder measures

Maven
08-18-2006, 07:58 PM
All, While searching for something else on Hodgdon Powder's site, I found that Hodgdon has tested and now approves the use of smokeless powder measures for throwing charges of Pyrodex and/or 777: It's on the first page of their site http://hodgdon.com Joe B. asked about this last week in his "advice needed" thread. I suggested he not do it, mostly because using a volumetric BP measure or Lee dipper is so much easier than setting up a scale and monkeying with the powder measure(s) I use for smokeless powder/metallic cartridge reloading. I suspect Hodgdon's news is a revelation to most of us. I know it was to me.

44man
08-19-2006, 01:45 PM
It is just fine to use a measure if you go by weight. Since Pyrocrap and 777 is lighter by volume then black, all that is needed is to weigh the charge of each by volume and set the measure, or find the weight needed from the company. I have been even using black powder in my measures for years. Static will NOT set off black powder. I have used plastic funnels for years also. This was one of those lawyer things. Stupid people have done stupid things and blamed the companies, so they need protection from them. Smoking or open flames around powder is a problem and the first thing these idiots do is to put the blame on someone else.
What is the difference between a powder measure and any other measure? Do you run a ground wire from your hand held measure?

Willbird
08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
MY Lyman powder measure is so old, it was MADE for BP :-)

Bill