PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning brass with coffee

The Double D
06-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Anyone ever hear of using coffee and water to clean black powder residue from brass.

legend
06-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Douglas,i have never.my friends use a gallon jug of hot soapy water,after fireing they just drop the case in the gallon jug..

NSP64
06-29-2010, 08:13 PM
Probably makes the coffee taste better.

3006guns
06-29-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not sure about cleaning brass, but I know for sure that coffee will remove the corrosion from battery posts and cables RIGHT NOW.

The Double D
06-29-2010, 08:53 PM
I am looking for information on the coffee process.

I already know a bunch of other "best ways" to clean brass, I am just trying to find out if this coffee thing is the next "best way" and how it works.

Didn't know about cleaning battery corrosion with coffee.

runfiverun
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
as well as the citric acid works, i wouldn't mess with anything else.
iv'e seen the stains coffee leaves in a coffee pot.

The Double D
06-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Gents,

I know all about all the other ways, citric acid, soap and water etc. I just have never heard of coffee before and wonder if any one know how it works.

Does any one know?

WILCO
06-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Does any one know?

Sorry Dude,

I tried doing a google and couldn't find nothing.
Where did you hear about this method?

jonk
06-30-2010, 12:30 PM
No... but I have heard of using coffee pot cleaner, one bottle diluted in a gallon of water. That works pretty well, it's a mild acid. Then a rinse in fresh water and dry. Distilled if water spots bother you.

The Double D
06-30-2010, 01:24 PM
The process is suppose to be for cleaning the Blackpowder fouling out of the case.

The claim was take the brass out of the coffee and drop the brass in the tumbler.

Dean D.
06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
After sharing a cup of Waksupi's coffee at the last Rendezvous I'm wondering... :coffee: :shock: :kidding:

Interesting thought on using coffee but it seems a bit pricey for this application.

shaune509
06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
not shur about the cleaning of brass but my uncle as a manager of a trucking company used to use dry coffie grounds on the floors of the reiffer and dry vans to take up the bad oders from some of the loads.

lwknight
07-01-2010, 01:44 AM
Maybe coffee beans will make good tumbling media.
I know that coffee grounds decay pretty fast and make great fertilizer for the flower beds.
Not because its coffee but because they decay so good.

I know that coffee stains stufff so I would really doubt it as a cleaner.
I vote: " Just another internet legend"

Its more likely the soap and water in the coffee that cleans LOL!

troy_mclure
07-01-2010, 07:11 AM
coffee contains small ammounts of alkaloids, wcich can act as acids.

The Double D
07-01-2010, 03:08 PM
So basically nobody knows how this works...but then I guess I should have been more specific about the process. Sorry.

I saw it at this past weekends Victorian Rifleman shoot in Alberta.

A pinch of coffee grounds is put in water in an uncoated tin can. After shooting the brass is dropped in the water. The black powder fouling is removed and the interior of the case is clean.

The life of the tin can is short as it rapidly rusts.

It sounds like some sort of galvanic process.

wistlepig1
07-02-2010, 12:32 AM
as well as the citric acid works, i wouldn't mess with anything else.
iv'e seen the stains coffee leaves in a coffee pot.

Me too!