PDA

View Full Version : What is it

GOPHER SLAYER
06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
Buckshot and I went shooting last Wednesday and as usual during a range break we were picking up brass. I thought I was picking up 7.62x39 but it is 6.8spc. What is that. I picked up 43 of the little buggers. On a sadder note, my wife and I were dining out about an hour ago and I broke a tooth. The meal was soft chicken breasts, mashed potatoes and corn. Not exactly peanut brittle. I will be at the dentist tomorrow and I may be asking one of you for a loan. The last tooth I had crowned was over 800 and that was many years ago.

Wayne Smith
06-27-2010, 07:17 PM
6.8 SPC is the .270 for the M16 - relatively new cartridge to give the Army a little more ability to hit effectively at a distance.

Forget the loan, I'm working on two of the things currently. Insurance starts again in July so I'll be at the dentist frequently for a while. One of mine is on an implant.

WallyM3
06-27-2010, 07:20 PM
My two crowns last month were $975...each.

'Couple of nice Smith N-frames there.

However, if you busted a tooth on that meal, it was prolly a goner anyway. Better to have it reveal itself now than in glorious agony on some Friday night.

crabo
06-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Sure you weren't nawing on that piece of brass trying to figure out what it was?

WallyM3
06-27-2010, 07:52 PM
The plot thickens.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-27-2010, 08:05 PM
Everyone likes a thick plot, or maybe that gravy was thicker than I thought. As I said before, I haven't been to a dentist in seven or eight years and you guy aren't making me feel any better. I may have to sell an N frame or two, and I only have one. Of course I have one Colt SA left. That would be cruel and unusual punishment.

WallyM3
06-27-2010, 08:23 PM
Didn't mean to make you feel bad. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone in the tooth department.

I have a deal with the dentist (as, evidently, does every patient w/o dental ins.) to break the payments up into manageable bites...err, pieces. And with the Obamanible economy, it's an increasing practice.

If you can spread it out, maybe you don't have to sacrifice the guns. (For other reasons, 7 guns went out the door last year and this.)

mold maker
06-27-2010, 09:04 PM
While your seeing the Dentist, ask for any Lead shielding from their X Rays. It's foil thin, but dead soft. There are seven dentist in the bldg where I go, and they all save it for me. I leave each one a large jar and carry a clean 5 gal bucket in once a month to collect.
It's a medically hazardous material that they must pay $$ to dispose of. Just use rubber gloves to handle it, and your smelting process will eliminate any danger.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the tip about the lead from the dental x-ray Mold Maker. I do appreciate all such tips whether I can use them or not. It happens that I have more lead , solder and lyno type than I can use if I live to be a hundred. I worked for the phone co. in the days when every pole yard had bens of scrap lead covered cable, free for the taking. I knew one cable supervisor who started his own bullet company. He kept it going for years without buying a dimes worth of lead. He finally sold the business when he retired. My problem is having a place to shoot. I wonder if I could get B.O. to forward me some of the BP oil money? On second thought, I doubt if that money is ever seen again.

wallenba
06-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Did you bag that chicken with steel shot?:bigsmyl2:

GOPHER SLAYER
06-27-2010, 10:18 PM
I didn't but Denny's may have.

TCLouis
06-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I will expound a little . . .but not too much on this (6.8SPC).

Quit asking for the :"Free Range" chicken, they have to shoot it!

Pavogrande
06-28-2010, 01:43 AM
In sunny california, last year my broken tooth/new crown cost about $1400 -- I suspect bank robbers are the honest crooks --

patsher
06-28-2010, 02:44 AM
Regarding the dentist thing ... I've been going down to Yuma, AZ and then across the border just 6 miles away to Algodones, Mexico. They have about 350 dentists in Algodones, and people come from all over the United States to get their dental work done there.

The costs are MUCH less than here in the States. Last time we were down there (in April of this year) we met some folks who come down from British Columbia. We are in Wyoming, and figure we save huge amounts, even after the trip.

I've been having some dental implants, and the most recent price was $1200 each. Here at home they are around $4000. My last root canal here at home was $900. I had to have two of them while I was at the dentist in Mexico, and he called the endodontist to come over to his office and take a look at my xrays-- which the guy did! Then, the endodontist worked me in later THAT AFTERNOON for two root canals, and charged just $135 each! That kind of service just doesn't happen around here. I've been very happy with the skill of the dentists, and with the quality of my implants and everything else they have done.

We were a little nervous this last time going down, because of the new Arizona law regarding illegal immigration, but other than the border crossings being a little tighter and a little longer, everything was like normal. Since the town relies so heavily on Americans and Canadians coming there for dental work, they have lots of police around keeping order. It's quite safe there.

If anyone is interested, PM me and I'll give you an introduction to the dentist we use, and info about how to get around, etc.

Pat

WallyM3
06-28-2010, 07:32 AM
I'd never have guessed it!

MT Gianni
06-28-2010, 10:25 AM
An co-worker had their Dad in for hip surgery and considered having it done in Mexico but worried about training and conditions. They sent him to the Mayo Clinic where and out of town "expert MD" did the surgery. He was the same Dr from Mexico they originally considered but the costs were anything but the same.

Hardcast416taylor
06-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Those dental costs explain how my dentist has a large x-mas tree farm with paid help, his collection of boats, his collection of tractors, his airplanes and his winter home in Fla.!Robert

montana_charlie
06-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I will be at the dentist tomorrow and I may be asking one of you for a loan.
Get word to Obama. He'll fix you right up...

454PB
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
My daughter works for an endodontist that specializes in root canals and repairing botched root canals done by those less skilled.......I know he's good because he fixed several root canals I had done by a less skilled dentist. They are much less expensive and painful when done correctly the first time!

Storydude
06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Those dental costs explain how my dentist has a large x-mas tree farm with paid help, his collection of boats, his collection of tractors, his airplanes and his winter home in Fla.!Robert

How DARE someone train for 6 years, carry a few million in insurance, deal with rotten teeth all day AND MAKE A PROFIT!

Maybe we need Obongocare and pay all the dentists what a factory worker makes. That'll teach someone to be ambitious and want to better themselves.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I just got home from the dentist. My how things have changed, no longer do they set you down in a chair and fill your mouth with cardboard to take X-RAYS. The young lady asked me to stand inside this machine, placed my chin on a rest, hit the button and these two scanners began to revolve around my head, all the while playing soft music. It took about half a minute. The dentist turned on a monitor and we were looking at X-RAYS of my teeth. After the X-RAYS I set in a chair and the dentist looked at the broken tooth. He said it was a clean break and he could crown it for 845 dollars and he would also clean my teeth for 69. After that he squirted some white goop on my broken tooth for a temporary fix. It dried instantly and it feels like my old tooth never broke. I paid in full and I go back on the 7th for the crown and cleaning. All things considered it wasn't too bad. The dentist my wife has been going to just for cleaning has been bringing her back in every three months at the tune of 185 per visit. I think they got over two grand out of her before she said enough. I tried to tell her that they were missionaries and they needed her money to do the Lords work. She finally broke it off. My wife said during some visits the hygienist would just chat with her. The dentist and his wife spend vacations in South America doing free dental work which I think is great but don't rob me to pay for it. I will let you know how the follow up goes.

WallyM3
06-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Sounds very good so far. Glad it's working out better than you expected.

GSM
06-30-2010, 05:26 PM
Those are decent prices. Lucky it didn't break because of decay.

Moonie
07-01-2010, 10:57 AM
The 6.8 SPC is based on the old 30 remington cartridge necked down to 270. It fits in the magazine of an AR-15 type rifle. Performance is right in between the 5.56 and the 7.62 nato cartridges.

I'm currently building an upper for my AR in 6.8 and would love to get that brass from you if you would be interested. Start my stock pile early.

Forester
07-02-2010, 08:43 AM
How DARE someone train for 6 years, carry a few million in insurance, deal with rotten teeth all day AND MAKE A PROFIT!

Maybe we need Obongocare and pay all the dentists what a factory worker makes. That'll teach someone to be ambitious and want to better themselves.

Words right out of my mouth...

My wife is a Veterinarian, folks seem to think those 8 years of college, high dollar x-ray machine and other equipment, and staff all add up to free care for little fluffy when she gets sick!