PDA

View Full Version : How about those Red Dots?

lovedogs
08-17-2006, 07:02 PM
This is a little off the ordinary subjects discussed here but it's gun related so maybe you'll forgive me.

Just put a Bushnell 1X30 Trophy Red Dot sight on a Contender 'cuz I've been curious about them for a long time and I thought it might make a good whitetail rig. Both the sight and the .44 are short-range propositions.

Anyone out there have any experience with this sight? I'm particularly interested in this specific model as they all vary somewhat but will listen to comments on others, also.

Thanks fellas!

Mike

DLCTEX
08-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I have a Tasco red dot sight on a Savage Stryker in 22-250 which I find inadequate for much over 50 yds. on prarie dogs. The dot is too large for accurate aiming. It replaced a Burris 8 power pistol scope which was too critical on eye relief and eye alignment for field use on the Stryker. I will soon be trying another pistol scope, as yet to be determined.

klausg
08-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Mike- my only experience with red dot's has been military, an M68, (made by AimPoint) mounted to an M4. Most of my shooting with the M68 has been "reflexive fire" drills from 7-25 meters. I liked the sight, much easier to acquire, especially for the longer ranges. Hopefully this helps.

-Klaus

twotoescharlie
08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
try a red dot with a 4 mil or smaller dot, makes all the difference. the smaller the better.
TTC

bruce drake
08-17-2006, 09:08 PM
And here I thought I was going to see Load Data for cast bullets with Red Dot Shotgun Powder from Alliant......:)

Bruce

dragonrider
08-17-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't have that particular one but have several Tasco's 30MM red dot sights and I like them, the best part being that you can focus on your target and not be concerned about front and rear sights being sharp or blurry. As mentioned earlier the smaller the dot the better for target work.

Johnch
08-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I had one on a DW 357 mag .
Never had a problem till I droped it out of the tree stand .
It landed on the tube , crushing it .
Lucky for me I had just double lunged a nice doe .
Never tryed to get it fixed .
Just replaced it with a Millit 30 MM red dot sight

Johnch

versifier
08-17-2006, 10:45 PM
I have an older Aimpoint that sits sometimes on a 98Mauser on a scout mount. I like it a lot. I have had it on various handguns also with good luck. As long as you are hunting deer at reasonable ranges I think you will really like it. I think of it as an electronic peep sight, you keep both eyes open and retain your depth perception. I think it would be useless for small targets and/or shooting at longer ranges, but they aren't supposed to be for varmints, you know? I don't know if it would be any good for silhouettes, never tried it on that kind of target, just shot to 150yds with rifle, 100yds and less with handguns. It ought to work just fine with your Contender for deer hunting.

ANeat
08-17-2006, 11:05 PM
If you want a quality dot sight get a Ultradot from Larrys guns. They have a lifetime warranty. You can get 1" or 30 mm tubes. They also have models with adjustable size dots.

If you dont like the magnafication of some of the scopes but are a little leary of trusting a battery on a hunting rig burris make a few different handgun scopes with no magnification that are very nice.

Ive had good sucess with a 2X handgun scope on the 44mag contender Ive hunted with.

Adam

db2
08-18-2006, 09:46 AM
I use a Leupold Gilmore LG-1. It is an older sight (I think it is discontinued) with a 1" tube. It is mounted on my SRH. For deer hunting I use a 9" paper plate, and my max range is when I can keep all six shots on the plate. This sight has doubled that range for me. Now, I am not a master with a pistol so, I will take all the help I can get ;)

Dale53
08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
I have several dots and several handgun scopes on hunting revolvers. My favorite sight is a Burris 2 Power with a rather large dot (as originally furnished exclusively by Gil Hebard Guns for handgun target shooting). The dot seems to draw your eye naturally to the proper place on the deer. I have taken a number of deer with this combination.

I have two Ultra Dots (red dot sight). One is the standard and is used for NRA Bullseye Pistol. The other is an Ultra Dot with adjustable dot size and is used on my S&W K-22 ten shot revolver. The red dot sight works well for handgun sights in general but I personally prefer the Burris 2 power scope.

Keep in mind that this is a PERSONAL decision and YMMV.

Dale53

lovedogs
08-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks for all the input, fellas. As stated, I was wanting info on this specific optic but was glad to hear comments on others as well. It sounds like this red dot thing may be worthwhile after all.

A brief note to dale clawson... living in Montana and being a prairie dog addict I feel I can advise on scopes for that endeavor. My favorites for "poodle popping" are Contenders in .223. They will shoot as far as most of us can hold accurately with a pistol. I know there are some super shooters out there but I have a hard time reaching past 300 yds. with a pistol. The .223 does that easily with less noise and greater efficiency than anything I know of. My favorite scopes in this area are Leupold 2.5X8's and Burris 3X9's. Both have done right well for me.

Regards to all, Mike

BOOM BOOM
08-21-2006, 03:01 PM
HI,
I tried a 1 x scope on my ML ,due to ageing eyes.
I then got a chance to shoot a colt anaconda equiped w/ a red dot.
Now the ML has a bushnell red dot w/ adj. recticals. I like it.

canon6
08-27-2006, 02:34 PM
I have used red dots on AR"s and KelTec 223's I found them to be fine for what they are designed.The smaller dot sizes are probably best for Long range shooting Doug

bobthenailer
08-27-2006, 03:26 PM
i have owned perhaps 30 or so red dot sights! still have about 20 different makes & models on my guns with a few in back up reserve, i have been useing them since they came out and i love them, my son in law has the bushnell with variable reticle patterns its ok but i would not be my choice , ive used the most expensive to the cheapest . i had 4 leupold pistol scopes converted from duplex to a dot by premeir reticle in virginia thats how much i like a dot ! black or red

centershot
08-27-2006, 04:46 PM
Bob, I've been considering putting one on my .357 this year for deer hunting (old eyes!), how well do the less expensive models hold up? Most of them look to be the same sight with different names! i'm cvonsidering the one marketed by Tru-Glo (the fiber-optic sight people) simply because they offer it with flip up lens covers included in the price ($39.99). Any advice is appreciated!

centershot

bobthenailer
08-28-2006, 07:39 PM
i only had the truglow that looks like a tasco optima[TERRIBLE] i would recommend a tasco pro point TS there $112.46 from midsouth shooter supply. also get a 3- 4 or 5 min dot and stay away from self adjusting scopes for brightness there allways to bright reguardless of make. on a 357 mag almost any brand will hold up . well my eyes are also old 58 this mounth . if you gave me another brand & your price range i could perhaps give you a better choice BOB

Larry Gibson
08-29-2006, 01:52 PM
This is a little off the ordinary subjects discussed here but it's gun related so maybe you'll forgive me.

Just put a Bushnell 1X30 Trophy Red Dot sight on a Contender 'cuz I've been curious about them for a long time and I thought it might make a good whitetail rig. Both the sight and the .44 are short-range propositions.

Anyone out there have any experience with this sight? I'm particularly interested in this specific model as they all vary somewhat but will listen to comments on others, also.

Thanks fellas!

Mike

I've got one of the old Bushnell Phantom scopes that I've used over the years on a couple handguns. Also a Bushnell 1.5X with a power booster to 3X (I think). Also a Tasco 6X target handgun scope. The latter two I use on Contenders with very good success. I used the 1.5X scope and a Tasco pro point red dot scope on a .357 barrel with very good results even off hand. Took a little getting used to the reticle moving around. Once you get used to it Accuracy was excellent.

I have the Tasco Pro Point mounted on a Destroyer Carbine ala scout style and I like it quite well but unfortunately the wife likes it better (I get to reload for it and clean it, she shoots it). I also have an EoTech which I've used extensively on an M16A2 and now my own AR. I've recently moved it over to the M1A and it's doing well there.

I've been looking at the really small, light weight dot sights (JPoint Micro or Zeiss Z Point) for use on my Ruger Bisley .41 with 7 1/2" barrel. I carrey it in a shoulder holster and would really like the dot in a big game hunting situation. Anyone have any experience with them?

Larry Gibson