PDA

View Full Version : cheap boxer 7.62 x 39 ammo

JIMinPHX
06-27-2010, 12:11 AM
I stopped by Cabella's this evening. they had a bunch of Herter's (sp?) brand ammo on special up front. It all looked like cheap steel cased stuff that had been brand labeled. There was also a table full of MFS brand 7.62 x 39 ammo that wasn't labeled as to the type of case or primer. I popped open a box & low & behold it was brass cased. At $7/box, I figured that it was probably Berdan primed, but I bought 1 box anyway, just to try. When I got home, I pulled 1 round apart. It was Boxer. I'm pretty happy about that.

$7/box Boxer primed rifle ammo, it was just like Christmas...except for the 108 degree weather.;-)

PMC .223 ammo was about $6.50 too.

nicholst55
06-27-2010, 03:02 AM
If Cabela's has anything that you could ever conceivably need at a bargain price, you'd best stock up!

NoDakJak
06-27-2010, 07:30 AM
nichols 55 is right about Cabelas. I first began dealing with them about thirty years ago as a walk in customer. At that time they were still based in a single store that was a converted old brick railroad warehouse in Sidney, Nebraska. Prices were higher than Herters but much cheaper than most other competitors. Customer service was great, both fast and friendly. Then they decided to expand and have become the octopus that they are today. Prices skyrocketed to cover expansion cost. I won't even discuss the poor to non-existent customer service that i have encountered in the new Sidney store and the even newer Mitchell, SD stores. Admittedly it was early in the day before the tourists were up and about but darn, iff you are open for business you should have more than a checkout clerk on the floor. I have shunned Cabelas for more than fifteen years. That is my rant and I'm sticking with it! Neil

3006guns
06-27-2010, 08:18 AM
First of all, congrats on the ammo find.........although they probably forgot to add a "1" to the price, making it $17 a box!

I've never actually been inside a Cabellas, just got their catalogs and wasn't really impressed with their prices which could be beat just about anywhere. I did drive by their "world headquarters" in Nebraska years ago though. Looked like it was located in the middle of nowhere.....just some modern buildings with a tall water tower and NOTHING around it that I could see. Location, location, location.

They have some good quality products, but it looks like anything they stamp their name on instantly goes up in price......

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-27-2010, 08:26 AM
It's on line also for $6.99 . . . but I gotta pay both shipping and tax . . . not sure if I'm gonna do it . . . does the brass look decent?

JIMinPHX
06-27-2010, 10:51 AM
The MFS brass LOOKS ok. I haven't fired it yet. It's made in Hungary. The bullet is an open base FMJ.

I agree about the majority of Cabella's prices being a little high. Most ammo there was rather expensive. There were a few good deals mixed in if you looked for them. Their shelves are back to being pretty full. A few calibers, like .38 special & .380 still have limited selection & high prices, but they seem to have at least a little bit of just about everything. Their powder & primer selection is back to about 3/4 of what it was before the mad rush began.

The situation is similar at Sportsman's Warehouse, but not quite as good. their shelves have filled back up for the most part. Powder & primer selection is about 2/3 of what it was. Ammo is pretty expensive, but they are back to having 80% of the calibers that they used to carry. .22lr is about a buck cheaper here than at Cabella's. A small local shop is another buck cheaper yet.

There seems to be plenty of guns in stock at the stores again.

Gar
06-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Yup, Cabella's has plenty of guns in stock at the Glendale store, but at the prices they are asking I can see why.
Looked at a Remington 700 ADL last week, Cabella's $487.00 new, the used gun rack also had two 700 ADL at the same price as the new ones ????
Sportsman price was $399.00
Cabella's has priced themself out of my league.

JIMinPHX
06-27-2010, 01:49 PM
700ADL?? Somebody told me that they had stopped making the ADL grade. I guess that was just a bunch of bull. I recently looked at a CDL grade, which I thought was pretty nice. It used to be that you just had the ADL & BDL to choose from, but I guess that was a long time ago. I had a 700-ADL in .30-06 that I had bought new, many years ago. I sold it, back in the late '80s. That was a mistake. It was the best shooting -06 that I ever fired. I wish that I still had that gun.

Gar
06-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Jim, I had heard the same thing, ADL's were discontinued, but Cabella's and Sportmans both have several ADL's in different calibers. The CDL's are just a pretty satin wood and mat blue finish other than that, it's a BDL. Since I was going to trick it out anyway, I can't see spend the extra cash for the finish and a floor plate.
BTW, did you hit those 7.62x39mm with a magnet (just in case they brass plate :^)

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-27-2010, 10:51 PM
The online ad says:
Our worldwide search for sources of high-quality ammunition uncovered another gem in these new-manufacture 7.62x39 rounds. Manufactured to C.I.P. standards in Hungary by MFS 2000, this ammunition meets our requirements for quality, reliability and value. The 124-gr. full-metal-jacket bullets are perfect for plinking and high-volume practice. Noncorrosive rounds are boxer-primed with top-quality reloadable brass. 20 rounds per box.

Found here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0073966217157a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCHFEAT_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&Ntt=7.62x39+ammo&Ntk=Products&N=0&Nty=1

I like my stainless BDL . . . :mrgreen:

JIMinPHX
06-28-2010, 08:10 AM
BTW, did you hit those 7.62x39mm with a magnet (just in case they brass plate :^)

I didn't hit it with a magnet, but I'm pretty sure that they are good soft brass. I tried to reassemble the cartridge that I had pulled apart, but I had my seating die set wrong & I crushed the case neck up like an accordion. I then emptied out the cartridge again & ran the case through a sizing die. It came right back to shape. It handles like Spanish brass (SB).

Balade41
06-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi Jim, what is "Spanish Brass" and where can I buy it? if it is cheap I am looking for some 284 WIN to convert to 7.5X55.

Gar
06-28-2010, 08:55 AM
I then emptied out the cartridge again & ran the case through a sizing die. It came right back to shape. It handles like Spanish brass (SB).

Cool, I'll let my shooting partner know, he's been buying Fiocchi @ 9.98 a box.

bruce drake
06-28-2010, 09:22 AM
(SB)
Sellier & Belliot or Santa Barbara?

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I just ordered 10 boxes!

+10.95 shipping & $4.96 tax = $85.81 for 200 or $0.429 per round . . .

JIMinPHX
06-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Spanish SB = Santa Barbra.

Back before I found out that I could get 9-largo brass from star line, I used to convert SB Berdan brass to use Boxer primers. SB is real nice brass. I never had any of my converted SB cases split, fail to fire, or fail in any other way. It's very ductile & forms wonderfully.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Jim how did you convert your berdan?

I've seen a few things on the web . . . I have a bunch of my yugo brass saved . . .

JIMinPHX
06-29-2010, 07:13 AM
This thread - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50789 shows how I did the Berdan to Boxer conversion on some rifle brass. For the pistol brass, I didn't need to press fit a ring. I just smooshed a Boxer primer into the Berdan pocket after drilling out the flash hole. This worked on the SB pistol brass, but may not work on other types. Unlike Boxer, Berdan primers come in many different sizes. The pockets in the SB were a little bigger in diameter than a small pistol primer, but also a little less deep. A small pistol primer smooshed into the pocket acceptably, not good, just acceptably when I couldn't get proper brass. It was a better than nothing type scenario.

The conversion for the rifle brass that I did is much more reliable. In both cases, I would not use full power loads because of the increased open area between the primer pocket & the powder chamber.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=50789

cajun shooter
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I was in our Cabela's just yesterday and it had the Russian steel ammo for $3.99 in .223 and also cases of Russian, Yougo, and Herters 762.39. My wife who does not notice these things said look at all the ammo they have here. The most I have seen in a store in a very long time.

JIMinPHX
07-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Well that didn't last long.

I went back to Cabella's today to get some more of the $7 MFS ammo. The price had jumped to $11. I left empty handed. The only semi-reasonable deal that I saw was PMC .223 for about $6.50/box.

JIMinPHX
11-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I've been seeing the same brand of ammo in Sportsman's Warehouse lately for about the same price. Unfortunately, It's steel case. The boxes that it comes in are about identical.

buck1
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I got some of that MFS stuff steel/fmj for 7.62x54r . It was junk about 60% misfires. I thought my gun was broke but all was well . the winchesters fired %100 and were brass boxer.

101VooDoo
11-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Cabela's has the brass cased MFS on sale again:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/MFS-2000-762x39-Ammunition/731964.uts

Just picked up 10 bx at the Reno store. It wasn't marked as on sale, but it rang up at $6.99.

Jim

deadwood55
02-16-2011, 03:12 AM
Good brass too. I've reloaded mine four and more times using cast lee 312-160 TL boolits with Harris loads and they are still holding up. I shoot them in my VZ58 as that mangles only rarely (unlike my Romy SKS). I got 200 rounds of the MFS when they were on sale last November and still have 100 unshot.