PDA

View Full Version : Houston

crabo
06-26-2010, 09:52 PM
I am going to Houston for 5 days in a couple of weeks. Anything I should do while I am there? I'll have one day and some of the evenings free.

Thanks,

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Stay inside the a/c, it's gonna be hot and humid! :kidding:

fryboy
06-26-2010, 10:02 PM
take a side trip to san antonio and go see the alamo or to waco for the ranger museum !
actually google is our friend ( most of the time )

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Texas/Houston-878298/Things_To_Do-Houston-TG-C-1.html

http://www.visithoustontexas.com/visitors/
the only thing i can say u should do is have fun ;)

Charley
06-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Will be really hot and humid, as stated above. Much as we'd like you to come to SA, check out the San Jacinto battleground, and take a tour of the USS Texas. Much closer to Houston.http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/san_jacinto_battleground/

Echo
06-26-2010, 11:13 PM
USS Texas, WWI dreadnaught, 10 14" rifles, bombarded France on D-Day.

And the San Jacinto monument is 5' taller than the Washington monument - Texas, you know... The star on top shows 5 points no matter where you view it from.

And Scholes Field @ Galveston has a very good Air Museum.

(Dreadnaught, from Jackie Fisher's family motto - 'I shall fear God, and Dread Naught'. He was First Lord of the Admiralty, and commissioned the building of HMS Dreadnaught, the first all-big-gun battleship)

crabo
06-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm actually going for a vocational instructors conference. I was thinking about going to American Shooting Center and shooting some skeet, trap or sporting clays. Any other good gun stuff to do?

JIMinPHX
06-27-2010, 12:06 AM
The space center is worth a visit if you have time.

There's a real good Brazilian all-you-can-eat steak place there called Fogo De Chaio. It's a bit expensive, but it's really good. go hungry, real hungry, & don't get too tempted by the salad bar. I know that sounds stupid, but you haven't seen their salad bar.

lwknight
06-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Use the toll roads. The price you pay in tolls will save you a lot more in gas and time sitting is gridlock traffic.

S.R.Custom
06-27-2010, 02:15 AM
Take your Gold Bond powder.

crabo
06-27-2010, 02:22 AM
I've been to Houston a number of times. It's just like Dallas but worse.

chaos
06-27-2010, 07:18 AM
I've been to Houston a number of times. It's just like Dallas but worse.

Houston is the ARMPIT of Texas, followed closely by the D/FW metromess.

We should give both locations back to MEXICO.

Char-Gar
06-27-2010, 02:45 PM
Collector's Firearms has a wonderful gun store with anything and everything in there you could want. Prices are high, but they will dicker. Just fun to wander around and see all the goodies.

Houston is on the Texas Gulf Coast and is indeed hot and humid, but it is a very pretty place with all of the attractions and down sides of any major large city. It is far from being an armpit.

I lived in Houston for several years and my son lives there now. Dallas is another major large city and I enjoy visiting there. My daughter lives there.

Both my kids live in large cities, because that is where their work is. I prefer small towns, but enjoy a trip to the big city ever now and then.

Town and city size is a matter of personal preference. Many love big city life and others don't. It is sort of like green jello. If you don't like green jello that is fine, but don't spit on it, as the next fellow might have a craving for green jello. Folks who condem what they don't like, just show the narrowness of their thinking.

RP
06-27-2010, 03:14 PM
If you take the toll roads watch out for uninsured drivers losing control and sliding backwards hitting them at 75 mph will total a full size truck. Checking out the flea market is not a bad ideal.

Echo
06-27-2010, 03:43 PM
There is an indoor shooting range (Shilo Indoor Range) on the far NW side, owned & run by my cousin Steve. Good guys, and good place.

And +1 for Fogo De Chao - $50 for dinner, but great, and completely worth it for the experience. You will not be disappointed. On the West side, on Westheimer Rd. I haven't been to that one, but have been to the one in Dallas.

(Born & Raised in Houston)

wills
06-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Collector's Firearms has a wonderful gun store with anything and everything in there you could want. Prices are high, but they will dicker. Just fun to wander around and see all the goodies.

Collectors has a website worth perusal http://www.collectorsfirearms.com

If you are going to live in a city, Houston is the one to live in. It is easier to find your way around than in Dallas, and the traffic is not as bad as it used to be.

Drive the Loop 610 bridge over the ship channel.

Last time I looked the original Ninfa’s on Navigation was still open.

felix
06-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Hy 6 and Westheimer, major intersection in west Houston, has a large gun range on northwest corner of intersection. It replaced the southwest rifle range located about 5 miles south at least 10 years ago. I shot at that range for 5 years before I left town. ... felix

geargnasher
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
You really ought to check out the Johnson Space Center like Jim said if your free time permits, even if you have no interest in space exploration you most likely will when you leave!

+1 on Gold Bond and the toll roads.

I've used the range Felix mentioned, it remains the only indoor range I've ever been in, Mom used to use it some when she lived in the Alief-Clodine area.

Gear

David2011
06-27-2010, 05:21 PM
All good advice. Ignore the armpit comment. Chaos means well but there's a side of Houston most visitors miss. My favorite area is the Seabrook/Kemah/ NASA/ Clear Lake area. I grew up in Houston and it will always be home. It is one of the truly great cities in the world for the quality and variety of cuisine. Most of my favorite places to eat is anywhere around Clear Lake and Kemah in particular. There are a bunch of waterfront restaurants with a nice view of the channel between Clear Lake and Galveston Bay. All of the pleasure boat traffic accessing the bay goes past the restaurants. When I worked on an article for SAIL magazine a few years ago that area had more boats than anywhere but Miami or Fort Lauderdale. There is still a huge collection of pleasure boats. Kemah is a tiny place so the waterfront is easy to find. It's just 10 minutes from Johnson Space Center. If you ;like tall ships there's the iron barque Elissa in Galveston, not far away. The Battleship Texas was restored a few years ago and is a must see if it interests you. It and the San Jacinto Monument are on the grounds where Sam Houston defeated Santa Ana. Oh, if you want a unique floating bar and grill experience then go to the Turtle Club, in Seabrook down the street from NASA.

David.

chaos
06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
All good advice. Ignore the armpit comment. Chaos means well but there's a side of Houston most visitors miss.

David.

Well, I guess I am just more of a country boy than most posting here. You fellas are correct In that I don't like big cities. More power to you guys . Enjoy.

Houston is the dampest, hottest/ most humid cess pool in the state.
It is indeed the ARMPIT of this great state.

Google up Houston or Harris county crime rates. Then when you get done, try Denton, Tarrant, and Dallas counties or D/FW.

You fellers are correct, it's pure paradise. I retract every negative comment

wills
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.amshootcenters.com/

http://www.psc-range.com/

lwknight
06-27-2010, 09:43 PM
If you take the toll roads watch out for uninsured drivers losing control and sliding backwards hitting them at 75 mph will total a full size truck. Checking out the flea market is not a bad ideal.

Luckily , most of the uninsured motorist kind of people are too cheap to use the toll roads.

MT Gianni
06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
I would try Papa Deoux for seafood, and Clark County BBQ ? for eats. Papa Deoux has a mexican chain that I was not impressed with.

wills
06-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Luckily , most of the uninsured motorist kind of people are too cheap to use the toll roads.

They just drive thought the EZ tag lanes, or whatever they are, without an EZ tag, or drivers license, or immigration papers.

tonyjones
06-28-2010, 02:14 PM
Crabo,
I live in Houston and have since 1956. If you wish, PM me with contact info and I'll help out in any way I can.
Regards,
Tony