PDA

View Full Version : Best All Around Pistol Lube Under 1000 fps

WBH
08-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I am looking for an all around bullet lube for my .45 LC that does not need to be heated. Using cast 200-255 grain wheel weights in a SSA clone under 1000 fps MV.

NVcurmudgeon
08-16-2006, 09:43 PM
I have used Javelina NRA formula Alox with complete satisfaction for rifle and pistol cast boolit loads since it was invented. Have also used Tamarack, which seems to be the same thing. NRA Alox lube (1968 +/-) and Lyman changing their boolit sizing dies from shearing to swaging (1966) are IMO the two greatest innovations in cast boolit technology since the invention of the gas check. I never could get rifle loads to shoot worth a hoot until these two breakthroughs ocurred, now it's easy!

44man
08-17-2006, 12:17 AM
I would use Felix or Carnauba Red. I have had poor accuracy and leading with Alox. I don't like the smoke and stink either.

Lloyd Smale
08-17-2006, 05:12 AM
another fan of javolina and another good one is lbt blue soft if you can find it. Really at those speeds almost any lube will work.

Junior1942
08-17-2006, 06:10 AM
For about a year I've been using two coats of Lee Liquid Alox for all of my loads.

Bass Ackward
08-17-2006, 06:48 AM
another fan of javolina and another good one is lbt blue soft if you can find it. Really at those speeds almost any lube will work.

Lloyd,

Veral told me that to make Blue Soft out of LBT Blue was to ad 1/4 teaspoon of vasoline per stick melted. It does work, but I go to 1/3 teaspoon for the consistency I want. If you get it too soft add parafin.

Another guy I know just melts one stick of LBT Blue to one stick of Lyman Super Molly. Options.

For less than 1000 fps, you can go with a poor lube and raise your bullet hardness if necessary for a rougher bore. Or you can go to a very slipery lube and shoot softer. There is a balance in there somewhere but highly dependent on bore condition. So it depends on a few variables as to what to recommend and shows you why you get so many different responses when lube questions come up.

WBH
08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the responses. I guess I could just use my BPCR lube at those speeds. It is in a minty bore, so roughness is not a problem. It sure would make life easier not to have to empty the sizer and refill each time for the .45 LC.

Bucks Owin
08-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I would use Felix or Carnauba Red. I have had poor accuracy and leading with Alox. I don't like the smoke and stink either.

Same here....(Although I haven't tried Felix lube yet)

FWIW,

Dennis :castmine:

44man
08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
The BPCR lube should work fine but please post the results for us.

omgb
08-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Under 1,00 fps in my 38 SP I get away with using either SPG or White Lightning. The only disadvantage is that it is greasy and leaves a "wet" mess all over the cylinder and barrel. It wipes up easy enough but remember, this stuff was designed to leave a grease film all over the bore and it definately will. That's no reason not to use it though; at least in a revolver. I think it would foul up most semiautos in a very short while.

KCSO
08-17-2006, 04:55 PM
I use my B/P lube in all my revolver loads with excellent, albiet greasy, results. Otherwise beeswax and allox worked just fine for the 100,000 rounds I shot.

Wayne Smith
08-18-2006, 07:28 AM
I have two sizers, one set up with BPCR lube and one set up with smokeless rifle lube. All pistol bullets are sized with BCPR lube. No leading.

WBH
08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
My BPCR lube it is then. Thanks for all the responses.

robertbank
08-18-2006, 11:05 AM
I now use Felix lube in all my guns. Works great in .45LC that I have. Going to add a pinch of carnuba wax to the next batch to harden it up just a bit. Otherwise it is good to go. No leading!

Take Care

Bob