PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of my second cast session

oldracer
06-26-2010, 02:26 AM
I posted earlier that I has started casting some 148gr DEWCs and there was a request for some picts. I did a second session this afternoon and did 526 boolits in about 1 1/2 hours. I had to throw about 20 or so back and the others came out okay. They all have a sort of an inverted "U" shaped mark in the side away from the handle just enough to see the mark, so I thought it might be cold metal, no, so I tried 850 degrees or whatever the Lee pot goes up to and that wasn't it, so I tried casting real fast to get the mold real hot, that wasn't it so I tried letting the mold cool off a bit and that wasn't it either? I cleaned the cavities very well and looked at each with a magnifying glass and there were no marks of funny things in the cavities? So if anyone has seen this please let me know what you think might cause the marks?

I tried shooting some of the 1st batch and they all shot fine with the marks and everyone has them? Anyways here are some picts.

oldracer
06-26-2010, 02:28 AM
About the marks, I tried taking a closeup but the flash tonight did not let the marks show so I'll try tomorrow.

bruce381
06-26-2010, 03:13 AM
maybe from dropping from the mold they hit the sides of the mold and get a mark while still soft?

Bret4207
06-26-2010, 07:33 AM
Look at the mark with a magnifier. If it appears to be a fold or wrinkle then yes, the mould was too cold or better put, not hot enough- in that area. Sometimes it seems you ahve to get the mould, especially Lee's, rather hot for a casting session or two to get things working right. IME it seems some moulds take a few casting sessions to get working right. I'm not sure if it's me or the mould but something changes over time.

If it's a little, barely noticeable wrinkle they will still likely shoot fine.

jmsj
06-26-2010, 10:06 AM
oldracer,
I read that your lead tempature was 850 degrees but what was your mold tempature?
In my experience Bret4207's advise on getting the mold tempature up and Lee molds needing a few castings to break in is spot on
I find the best way to clean a new Lee mold is to put in boiling water w/ dawn dish soap for few minutes, take it out and scrub it real well w/ an old tooth brush and then boil it again and scrub it again. I think the hot water and soap lets the pores in the aluminum release the manufacturing oils.
To get the mold up to tempature I found that using a hot plate works best, especially on the Lee 6 cavity molds.
Welcome to madness and good luck !!

JesseCJC
06-26-2010, 12:08 PM
You may not be temp matching the mold. 6 cavs I usually bring up each chamber to temp individually and have never had luck by pre-heating on top of ol drippy. Try a hot plate next time if you can to heat it evenly and with great efficiency than the top of the pot resting.

captaint
06-26-2010, 01:42 PM
racer - for me, the cheap hot plate was a gotta have. Things work so much better. It may not get your mold completely up to temp, but it'll get there much quicker and easier. Generally, mold temp is way more important than melt temp. Fun, though, huh?? enjoy Mike

oldracer
06-26-2010, 02:04 PM
Thank you for the replies. I also dug through an issue of Handloader magazine and there was a good article on casting and there were picts of different problems. One of the picts had what was called an overlap and the writer noted the mold was too cold and that comes right in with what you all have said. Looks like today's big trip will be to Walmart for some of those little $1 ice cream sundays my wife likes and a hot plate for me. I cleaned the mold but will do the boiling water/dish Dawn clean out this afternoon.

Again thanks for the replies everyone.

RKJ
06-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Thank you for the replies. I also dug through an issue of Handloader magazine and there was a good article on casting and there were picts of different problems. One of the picts had what was called an overlap and the writer noted the mold was too cold and that comes right in with what you all have said. Looks like today's big trip will be to Walmart for some of those little $1 ice cream sundays my wife likes and a hot plate for me. I cleaned the mold but will do the boiling water/dish Dawn clean out this afternoon.

Again thanks for the replies everyone.

Racer, If there is a Walgreens nearby go over there and get your hot plate. $10.00 for a single 1000W burner. The cheapest I've found at our Walmart was $38.00 (I might be off some on the price, but it was pricey. It looked nice though too nice for me to use on my casting bench) :) Just an idea.

oldracer
06-26-2010, 05:26 PM
Just got back and Walmart had a wide one since I have a 6 cavity mold I wanted lots of room and it was a "RollBacK" at $15! I should be getting more lead this week so I'll try it in a week or so. The bullets with the marks seem to shoot fine so I'll use them as is for now. My daughter runs through 300+ in an afternoon easily so they'll disappear!

Echo
06-26-2010, 06:55 PM
OR, it sounds like you raised your daughter right!