PDA

View Full Version : Need help please!!

glock19stang
06-25-2010, 03:50 PM
Hey guys

This is my first time reloading. [smilie=s: I have a Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL356-124-TC 9mm Luger, winchester brass and winchester primer. [smilie=w: I just received 1 pound of titegroup. I know some do not recommend using it since it burns fast. This is all I have and this is what I will be using so please do not recommend other powders!!!

My lead is not very hard. I have pure lead at the moment but I will be adding WW before I begin casting. I'm not worried about the hardness since I am mostly concerned with the size of the bullet for leading purposes. (slugging the barrel)

:violin:.....

Now on to my question that I need help with. What is a good load? And what is a good overall length? I am using this ammo for the range only. I am using a Glock 19 with a Lonewolf barrel.

Thanks in advance guys!

Moonie
06-25-2010, 03:55 PM
4gr should give you about 1,100fps

glock19stang
06-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks a lot moonie. What is a good OAL?

knifemaker
06-25-2010, 05:49 PM
Lyman's 49 th. reloading handbook list a starting charge of 3.3 gr. for Titegroup and a max of 3.7 gr. for a velocity of 1109 fps. This is with a 120 gr. TC boolit using #2 alloy. They list a OAL of 1.110 for that boolit.

Shiloh
06-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Seat NO deeper than the minimum length. I would seat as far out as would chamber and still cycle. See to it that you can extract a loaded round.
Deep seating of fast burning, high pressure rounds is a pressure splike waiting to happen.

Shiloh

fredj338
06-25-2010, 07:23 PM
A good reloading manual, like the Lyman #49, is your friend. Well, I am going to tell you to shelve the TG & start w/ a more reloader friendly powder & diff. bullets too. There is no room for error w/ TG, not in charge wt or OAL. Approach that 4gr TG load w/ extreme caution. Medium burners like WSF or Unique are much safer to work w/ for a newb & often give better results w/ lead bullets. Lead bullets & the 9mm are probably the toughest combo to get good results from, even for exp reloaders.
As a newb, you should not be shunning advice from more exp reloaders. JMO, get a can of WSF & 1000 jacketed bullets to start with. After cutting your teeth & understanding the process, then look to lead bullets & if you just have to use TG, then try it. Again, JMO, but hey, what do I know, I have only been doing this for some 33yrs, 28 diff calibers & more than 150K rounds.:veryconfu

ph4570
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Well, I am going to tell you to shelve the TG & start w/ a more reloader friendly powder & bullets too. There is no room for error w/ TG, not in charge wt or OAL. Approach that 4gr TG load w/ extreme caution. Medium burners like WSF or Unique are much safer to work w/ for a newb & often give better results w/ lead bullets. Lead bullets & the 9mm are probably the toughest combo to get good results from.
As a newb, you should not be shunning advice from more exp reloaders. JMO, get a can of WSF & 1000 plated bullets to start with. After cutting your teeth & understanding the process, then look to lead bullets & if you just have to use TG, then try it. Again, JMO, but hey, what do I know, I have only been doing this for some 33yrs, 28 diff calibers & more than 150K rounds.:veryconfu

Good advice -- take it!

lwknight
06-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Fred covered the powder topic and I might add that in my experience 9mm is hard to prevent leading and you need fairly hard boolits to work best in a 9mm. So with that I would say at least do not mix any soft lead with your wheel weights and do add 2% tin to the mix.

Wheel weights are at best 3 to maybe 4% antimony which is barely up in the significant hardening range. Thats why water quenching and heat treating are so popular around here cause so many folks don't want to spend the $$ to get the antomony up.

Edubya
06-25-2010, 09:08 PM
stang, if you ain't got at least three loading manuals and go by their listings only.... DON"T LOAD ANY KIND OF BULLET OR BOOLIT!
I am saying this so emphatically because I know of one fella that did not heed this warning and will not forget it for the rest of his life (broken gun and shrapnel permanently injured his best friend!)
EW

gray wolf
06-25-2010, 10:36 PM
Lyman's 49 th. reloading handbook list a starting charge of 3.3 gr. for Titegroup and a max of 3.7 gr. for a velocity of 1109 fps. This is with a 120 gr. TC boolit using #2 alloy. They list a OAL of 1.110 for that boolit.

I am thankful to Knifemaker for posting for you what came out of a loading book.
and disappointed that you had to ask.
How do you think we get our information?
you have been given some excellent advise from some pros. Please take it.
If you had a reloading book/books you would have these answers.
We are not playing games here, we try to enjoy a hobby in a safe way, and always try our best to help with sound advise.
Please do some reading about what you plan to do, read until it makes sense.
Then come back and ask about what parts you don't understand.
I can't understand how some folks think they can by a bullet mold some powder, a press
and become an instant reloader, and then tell us what and what not to tell them.

captaint
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Edu - that is very good advice, my friend. Stang, heed the advice. When I started out, it was on Hornady .38 wadcutters. Nearly pure lead and dry lubricated. Low velocities, always. Don't jump till you know how to walk. My .02. enjoy Mike

Echo
06-25-2010, 11:03 PM
Ditto.

06-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Glock19stang,

...please do not recommend other powders!!!

Kind of hard to help you when you've already made up your mind and are therefore unwilling to listen to the voices of experience and reason.

Lyman's Reloading Handbook 48th edition lists up to 14 different powders for 9 MM, depending on boolit weight, and you want to experiment with only one. That's not how it's done.

If you don't already have a copy, you need to get at least one of Lyman's 49 editions or one of the three editions of their Cast Bullet Handbook. Then follow Gray Wolf's advise.

mtgrs737
06-26-2010, 12:59 AM
I just got the hardcover edition of Lyman's 49th load book, it was well worth the price paid. I would also add that their Pistol and revolver handbook appears to have the same info in it that the 49th edition does only no rifle data.

Midway's July sales flyer has the paperback version of Lyman's 49th edition on sale for less than $20, which is a good price.

Keeping good up to date loading manuals is a must in a hobby that can kill you if you mess up too much. Buy, read, and follow reloading manuals recomendations, otherwise you could be touching off a bomb inches from your face! Don't let me scare you, but heed the advice given here.

geargnasher
06-26-2010, 01:07 AM
I am thankful to Knifemaker for posting for you what came out of a loading book.
We are not playing games here, we try to enjoy a hobby in a safe way, and always try our best to help with sound advise.
I can't understand how some folks think they can by a bullet mold some powder, a press
and become an instant reloader, and then tell us what and what not to tell them.

Thanks for saving me the rant, GW!

Stang, we're not trying to discourage you, but if you've read this far please go back and read everyone's two cents again and let it sink in, it may be the best advice you ever get in this hobby.

Gear

Whitespider
06-26-2010, 08:05 AM
It's not that I'm trying to pile on, but you would've had to work pretty hard to choose a more difficult combination to start with. And, again not trying to pile on, it's obvious by your question(s), or more so by the way you frame them that you don't fully understand what you're about to undertake.

Good overall length? The importance of cartridge length, especially in the 9mm, is three-fold.

1) The "length" affects proper functioning of the auto loader pistol. Too short or too long and it won't feed properly and/or jamb the mechanism. The "good overall length" will vary with bullet shape/style and may vary from pistol-to-pistol.
2) The "length" also affects proper clambering of the cartridge, and if you don't get it right it can create a seriously dangerous condition.
3) Last-but-not-least, the "length" also affects pressure. The smaller the cartridge the greater the affect (the 9mm is very small), and when you add the use of fast burning powder... well you're just asking for trouble if you don't understand what you're doing.

Reloading manuals list the "length" because you need this information. If you load to a different "length" the data in the "book" becomes next to useless because pressures will change. The listed "length" applies to the listed bullet only; if the data uses a Speer bullet and you substitute a Hornady of the same weight... well you're on your own and must draw from experience.

But you're gonna' add even more to the issue; you wanna' load cast boolits. If the Lyman manual lists x-amount of Y-powder with a 124gr cast at Z-length it DOES NOT APPLY TO A CAST BULLET FROM A LEE MOLD!!! Forget the mold for a second; just changing the alloy will affect pressure. You must draw from experience.

This "experience" I keep talking about comes from reloading for, and shooting, your particular pistol over time. You begin by using "starting" loads built exactly as they're listed in the "book". Over time a certain "feel" for the pistol develops and your confidence (and experience level) builds to the point where you are ready to step outside of the exactly by-the-book stage.

The best advice I (we?) can give you is rethink your plan, get two or three reloading manuals (read them), buy some jacketed bullets (that are listed in the manuals), and begin with "starting" loads exactly as they're listed in the "book".

But what do I know? I've (also) only been doing this for over 30 years.

Cactus Farmer
06-26-2010, 08:36 AM
No responce from the newby. Did he already go boom?

gray wolf
06-26-2010, 09:43 AM
I have seen new folks come on this forum and start right out with a little attitude.
If one looks into the matter and can read between the lines--sometimes we find
the poster has already had a hard time on another, or some other forums.
Some people just got attitude. I am not saying this is what is going on with the OP. Just an observation, I hope this is not the case here. I would also like to say
on behalf of the forum ( If I may ) We do not ruff ride a new person, but on the other hand we are not fools either.
It is easy to spot a problem in the making and trying to stop it before it gets a foot hold
requires a little firmness at times.
I enjoy as my other brother casters do a wonderful hobby that lets me spend hours of time
doing something that is rewarding and fun.
I also hope the OP will re read the post here and understand we are trying to be helpful and not hurtful.
I have gone over the replies and I think everyone gave good advise and was as tactful as necessary.

Sam

mdi
06-26-2010, 10:02 AM
In my opinion the OP has 3 things going against him for a new reloader; No manual, limited himself to one powder, and reloading for a 9mm w/lead.

I would suggest to him The ABCs of Reloading, Lymans 49th, one or two from powder manufacturers, one or two from bullet manufacturers. Read 'em first then get components. From the manual I'd pick a powder and bullet that is close to factory ammo (after all, most factory stuff is popular for a reason). Prolly not what he wants to hear...

largom
06-26-2010, 10:14 AM
An accident looking for a place to happen!

glock19stang
06-26-2010, 10:37 AM
No responce from the newby. Did he already go boom?

HAHA no thankfully I have not.....

You guys are awesome. thank you for the advice. I have just ordered the lyman manual. and I currently have the Lee manual. Any other recommendation? I'm trying to gain as much knowledge as possible so I don't make any BIG mistakes (everyone makes mistakes regardless).

glock19stang
06-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I have seen new folks come on this forum and start right out with a little attitude.
If one looks into the matter and can read between the lines--sometimes we find
the poster has already had a hard time on another, or some other forums.
Some people just got attitude. I am not saying this is what is going on with the OP. Just an observation, I hope this is not the case here. I would also like to say
on behalf of the forum ( If I may ) We do not ruff ride a new person, but on the other hand we are not fools either.
It is easy to spot a problem in the making and trying to stop it before it gets a foot hold
requires a little firmness at times.
I enjoy as my other brother casters do a wonderful hobby that lets me spend hours of time
doing something that is rewarding and fun.
I also hope the OP will re read the post here and understand we are trying to be helpful and not hurtful.
I have gone over the replies and I think everyone gave good advise and was as tactful as necessary.

Sam

No thankfully I'm not one of those types. I love new knowledge I just realized a lot of threads tend to go down the wrong path. So I was hoping to get my direct response before it changes topic. I love casting. Even though I'm new I have considered it my know long lasting hobby.

glock19stang
06-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks a lot guess. I think I'm going to put the cast boolits aside and look for some store bought bullets (not lead). I'll keep you guys posted and I'll definitely keep asking for more info later down the road. (you can never kno everything) haha

Crash_Corrigan
06-26-2010, 11:10 AM
I have been in this game for 16 + years. I have loaded and shot thousands of 9 MM round. The only calibre that is worse than the 9 MM is the .40 S & W.

Recently I took the SWMBO out the range to try out her new 9 MM pistola. The loads that I had made were just too hot for this gun. Too much recoil and threw the empties 30 feet behind us. I stopped the shooting and went to another calibre.

A week later we come back with a new batch of reloads. Now they are shooting like pussycats and dump the empties just to the right and 6 feet behind us. Oh Joy.

Then the SWMBO fires off a mag full. On the last round the gun goes KABOOM! And stuff is all over her face and hands. No damage to her but the gun is kaput.

Seems as though the next to last round was a squib load and had no powder. Of course she ignored my warnings about squib loads and promptly pulled the trigger on a full power load that promptly blew up the barrel of the gun.

I had told her again and again about what to do if the gun fires weakly, produces little recoil or makes a pop instead of a boom. Naturally she ignored me instructions and proceeded to fire off that last round.

Luckily she suffered no damage but people in Italy want $ to replace the barrel.

Seems as they found two boolits in the barrel and the barrel is split to the muzzel. Thank you for a decent steel slide that held the thing together and cause no serious injury.

glock19stang
06-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I have been in this game for 16 + years. I have loaded and shot thousands of 9 MM round. The only calibre that is worse than the 9 MM is the .40 S & W.

Recently I took the SWMBO out the range to try out her new 9 MM pistola. The loads that I had made were just too hot for this gun. Too much recoil and threw the empties 30 feet behind us. I stopped the shooting and went to another calibre.

A week later we come back with a new batch of reloads. Now they are shooting like pussycats and dump the empties just to the right and 6 feet behind us. Oh Joy.

Then the SWMBO fires off a mag full. On the last round the gun goes KABOOM! And stuff is all over her face and hands. No damage to her but the gun is kaput.

Seems as though the next to last round was a squib load and had no powder. Of course she ignored my warnings about squib loads and promptly pulled the trigger on a full power load that promptly blew up the barrel of the gun.

I had told her again and again about what to do if the gun fires weakly, produces little recoil or makes a pop instead of a boom. Naturally she ignored me instructions and proceeded to fire off that last round.

Luckily she suffered no damage but people in Italy want $ to replace the barrel.

Seems as they found two boolits in the barrel and the barrel is split to the muzzel. Thank you for a decent steel slide that held the thing together and cause no serious injury.

I'm glad to hear everyone is OK. Experiences like that are what I am trying to avoid and I'm coming to the experts for info. I don't want to "ASSume" anything and end up hurting myself. Keep the info coming guys I'm open to suggestions I got good info for my first question so let the other recipes roll in. lol

06-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Glock19stang,
It's very encouraging to see that safety and good sense has prevailed, by your taking to heart the centuries of advise that has been offered. Everyone is here to help in the best way possible. We all learned to walk before we ran, and casting and reloading is no different.

Prior to starting casting, I spent a lot of time here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/f-8.html

Also, don't forget the many stickies.

glock19stang
06-26-2010, 12:13 PM

I was not telling anyone what they can and cannot say. I simply said I want to know about the supplies I have currently in stock. I figured since this is an open forum ANYONE can ask anything they want. You don't have to answer if you do not like my question. thanks for the advice though. I'll keep it in mind next time I decide to ask a question. I don't want to commit another crime.

Wayne Smith
06-26-2010, 12:31 PM
HA! I won't tell you to get another powder, OK? If you really want to shoot cast, get another GUN! Yes, you can show your wife this.

Seriously, a .38 Special or a .44-40 or a .45 Colt revolver will make shooting cast a whole lot easier and easier to understand. If you are wedded to the semi auto get a 45ACP. Low pressure loading and lead go together a whole lot easier than high pressure loading and lead.

wmitty
06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Are you in Antartica and can't get a different powder? None of my business, I know, but I shoot this boolet in a Hi-Power lubed w/ liquid alox and have had good luck with it. I took the load from a Lyman manual (a starting load for this boolet weight 'cause the Lee boolet ain't the Lyman boolet.

I commend you on your attitude toward the suggestions made in the previous posts. Shows good common sense!

glock19stang
06-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Are you in Antartica and can't get a different powder? None of my business, I know, but I shoot this boolet in a Hi-Power lubed w/ liquid alox and have had good luck with it. I took the load from a Lyman manual (a starting load for this boolet weight 'cause the Lee boolet ain't the Lyman boolet.

I commend you on your attitude toward the suggestions made in the previous posts. Shows good common sense!

haha thankfully no. I'll get another powder as soon as I can and try to find a way to get rid of this one. I rather do that then risk something harmful. Once again thanks a lot you guys. please keep the good info coming.

fredj338
06-27-2010, 01:13 AM
HA! I won't tell you to get another powder, OK? If you really want to shoot cast, get another GUN! Yes, you can show your wife this.

Seriously, a .38 Special or a .44-40 or a .45 Colt revolver will make shooting cast a whole lot easier and easier to understand. If you are wedded to the semi auto get a 45ACP. Low pressure loading and lead go together a whole lot easier than high pressure loading and lead.

Ha, didn't think of that one, but very true. If you want to shoot lead bullets exclusively, there is nothing better in a semiauto than the 45acp. It's all my various 45s see is lead bullets, but even I won't load TG. Too fast, too small a charge, burns too hot & too steep a pressure curve. Get a # of W231/HP48 or Unique (I love Unique in the 9mm). It nearly fills the case & the medium pressures work well w/ cast bullets, when you get to the cast bullets. WSF is another good powder choice for he 9mm.