PDA

View Full Version : Off topic-knives

sergeant69
06-25-2010, 01:47 PM
i didn't see a heading for knife discussions so i'll just put it here and see what happens. phone call went like this...."oh by the way i forgot to tell you last weds. that peter and i got married. i didn't tell you guys b4 cause w/moms heart transplant i know you can't afford to pay for a wedding so we just did it". still don't know whether to be grateful or ring her neck. wifes ready to implode/explode all at the same time. ANYWAY............. she wants a set of kitchen knives for a wedding gift. anyone here know a good quality brand etc for around $200? i can find em on evil bay all day long but don't know junk from good stuff. THANKS

Hardcast416taylor
06-25-2010, 03:14 PM
In terms of cost . Victorinox (Swiss army knives brand), Chicago Cultery, Hen and Rooster and J.A. Henckels. All have sets under the 2 bill limit, depending how many different knives are in each block set.Robert

zac0419
06-25-2010, 03:27 PM
+1 on the Henckels, I had no idea there was such a big difference between average and quality cutlery. There's usually 20% off coupons for Bed, Bath and Beyond in the paper. (or they used to)

OLPDon
06-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Henckels are top quality, the price is a bit high. I have Chicago Cultery and by far as to price and quality are outstanding hold a good edge and are easy to sharpen.

Best to you and your "Change Of Command"
Don

sagacious
06-25-2010, 03:35 PM
The JA Henckels knives are well-designed, made from good steel, and hold up well to heavy use. Great tools for the kitchen. The other brands listed are excellent too.

Better to have a few good knives than a whole herd of so-so or marginally-useful knives. An 8" and 6" chef's knives do the overwhleming majority of our food-prep chores. Those are sizes that are easy to work with, and handle both large and small tasks.

Congrats on the daughter's wedding! There are worse alternatives, so it's definitely a time to be happy. :)

Hardcast416taylor
06-25-2010, 04:24 PM
No humor intended. A meat cleaver is an excellent addition also along with a honing rod.Robert

Johnch
06-25-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a set of Victorinox knives that I have abused for ....10 or so years

I can highly recomend them for the price

John

RayinNH
06-25-2010, 09:02 PM
Cutco. Made in USA. Guaranteed forever.

http://www.cutco.com/home.jsp

captaint
06-25-2010, 11:28 PM
Cutco knives are excellent. I'm not sure about the 200 bucks thing, but they are great. Henckles are great too. My son got them and he's real happy with them. enjoy Mike

blackthorn
06-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Quote: "No humor intended. A meat cleaver is an excellent addition also along with a honing rod.Robert "

+1---Include a diamond "steel" and a good heavey cleaver.

If you want good servicable knives, check out someplace that sells comercial cutlery!

c3d4b2
06-26-2010, 10:01 AM
still don't know whether to be grateful or ring her neck.

Only one choice. Be grateful!

Spector
06-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Victorinox does fine for me in the kitchen.......Mike

stocker
06-26-2010, 11:20 AM
You won't go wrong with the Victorinox knives with the black Fibrox handles. They are widely used by meat cutters (my original trade) chefs and householders. Cost will range from 25-60 dollars depending on model. Basic list would be a paring, stiff boning, carving and chef's knives. Their bread knife is also a worthy inclusion. That list would come close to the budget you mentioned. Beyond that you might consider a quality steel from a good butcher supply house and good set of stones. Those would add another $150.00 at minimum.

Over the past 55 years I've worn out my original Henckels and have replaced them with Victorinox with complete satisfaction. My set is expanded to include a flexible boning (great for fowl and fish) a 10" breaking knife and a 12" steak (scimitar) blade and a larger than usual paring knife with full size handle. One day I'll spring for their Santo type knife as well but they are pricier, nearer to $100.00.

I don't hesitate to say avoid Cuisinart and Kitchenaid knives as the samples I've tried are inferior steel in my opinion. Useable but not lifetime tools.

A full size cleaver is not too useful in a kitchen as a very solid counter (butcher block) is needed to get the best out of the tool. It is also heavy for the ladies. But, the Chinese style cleaver sees a lot of use in my kitchen as it's really more of a very wide bladed knife and is great for chopping vegetables, and meat without hard bones or fowl and you would be surprised how much chopped food you can pick up off the cutting borad and move to the pot on those blades. The one I have is one piece metal including the handle and will take a razor edge and hold it.

rbstern
06-26-2010, 12:07 PM
Cutco gets poo poo'd by the high end cooking crowd, but we've had a set for years and they are good quality.

Biggest problem most people run into is not keeping the knives sharp, usually through ignorance about how to do it. An easy to use power sharperner like Chef's Choice is a great addition to even low-end knife sets.

Centaur 1
06-26-2010, 02:05 PM
I really like my Cold Steel set of kitchen knives. They use a quality steel and a rubberized handle which helps when your hands are wet. It even comes with 6 of the best steak knives that you'll ever use.

http://www.coldsteel.com/kicl.html

Changeling
06-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Some of the major cooking magazines and Consumers picked "Victorinox", I've used them and they are good.

Rockydog
06-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Seargent 69, Ironically I had the same conversation with my daughter last week. Married at the courthouse, off to Cancun for a honeymoon. Baddabing!

By the way. I'd go with Chicago Cutlery. Takes an edge real easily and touches up with a steel as you work. RD

Mk42gunner
06-28-2010, 03:54 AM
My mom bought a full set of Cutco kitchen utensils in 1960. I still like using them when I amat her house.

Robert

StrawHat
06-28-2010, 05:33 AM
My eldest requested a set of knives when she set up housekeeping in college. She requested Wustof. Great choice and when see is a successful veteranarian she can buy them. I got her a set of Chicago Cutlery and sharpened them. She is quite happy.

Among the various price points for knives, I find the steel is similar enough to be called equal and the only real change is in handles. I sharpen knives 6 days a week and get to handle a variety of brands and custom made knives. Get the one, in the price point, that fits her hand comfortable.

My choice for a first set of knifes easy to maintain and sharpen is Chicago. Once she gets a few years behind her with those she can go on to the higher price point knives but Chicago Cutlery set should outlast her. I am using my set for 40+ years.

bigdog454
06-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Chicago Cutlery good steel, will hold and edge.

Butler Ford
07-04-2010, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=sagacious;930838]

Better to have a few good knives than a whole herd of so-so or marginally-useful knives.
QUOTE]

This point can not be over stressed!! My ideal starter: 8" chef, 5-6" santoku (sp?), 4-5" boning, 2 1/2 - 3 1/2" paring, Kitchen shears and a sharpening steel. The only reason to ever have to add to this is a specialty knife or two.

Congratulations on the addition to the family.

Tim357
07-05-2010, 02:45 AM
Old hickory RULES!!! I (we) got a set 30 years ago for a wedding present. The boning blade is now worn to about half its original width. Ya can't beat good carbon tool steel for a knife blade. Keep them out of the dishwasher and store them in a block and they will last a long time. Besides, the most expensive knife they sell is usually less than 20 bucks, how can you go wrong?

Tim sends

Bloodman14
10-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Old Hickory is the best I have ever used. When I find them in yard sales, I snap them up; now have two complete sets!

MoldyJoe
10-16-2010, 02:29 AM
First stay away from Stainless. High carbon, hold an edge much better, but don't stay as pretty. Most manufacturers have developed a high carbon stainless blend. I love Chicago and Old Hickory for the price, but try to stay away from wood handles. That being said I always say one of the reasons I married my wife was because she had a full set of Cutco stuff. You do get what you pay for, but it also pays to read what's stamped on the blade. Moldy

a.squibload
10-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Congrats!

They'll need a ceramic rod to touch 'em up with, especially if they have stoneware plates
which tend to dull an edge.
Our Victorinox steak knives have lasted through a lot of kitchen use, and
they were not expensive.