PDA

View Full Version : To users of electronic powder dispensers

ghh3rd
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I use an RCBS electronic powder dispenser that trickles the last few grains. I spoke to someone at RCBS and got the steps to adjust it and make it run even faster.

Now I found a way to go to the next level. I adjusted my Lee Perfect Powder Measure to just under the desired weight, drop a charge into the pan and let the RCBS finish with a couple of seconds of trickling while I'm busy handling the prior case. I'm getting trickled charges as fast as I can handle them.

Randy

HammerMTB
06-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Now take it to the next step:
Set that Lee Perfect to the exact weight you want. Weigh 10 (or 100!) charges and see how much variation you get. Then try a few of those at the range, and see if there is any practical difference in POA or accuracy.
I have done this with both pistol and rifle loads and found no appreciable difference.
Do keep in mind that some of the larger granuled powders will have more variation.
Now I load on the progressive press and look in every casemouth to see the charge volume. That is my assurance of consistency in powder charge.
Do note that if you are riding the ragged edge of a max load, you will still want to weigh. I seldom load max charges anymore, they don't seem to be as accurate most of the time.

MT Gianni
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
For most cartridges I use a turret press. By the time I get around to filling the case after seating the previous bullet, crimping, inspecting, placing a new cartridge in the shell holder, de-priming and priming I am not waiting on the LY1200.

ghh3rd
06-25-2010, 10:24 PM
It seems like common advice not to worry so much about being exact with handgun powder loads. I've been being as close as possible while having fun with my .44 at 50 yards, trying different things to get better groups... so far 3 or 4 of 5 in the 2" ring, on a good day. I figure if the powder is consistent from round to round, that's one variable eliminated.

It's not a quick process, but it's the labor of love :-)

gray wolf
06-25-2010, 10:45 PM
I use an RCBS electronic powder dispenser also, it is a nice tool.
BUT I have to ask, if you are using the Lee scale to get close and then using the C/M to trickle up the load--that must mean you trust the C/M scale for your last look at the charge weight. Why not just go with a full run on the C/M, or set it to one tenth under and then trickle it up ? I don't understand you logic on this one.

Lloyd Smale
06-26-2010, 06:54 AM
used to do that with my old pact because it was so slow. MY new lyman dispensor and my newer pact are fast enough that if I get into a rythm of seating a the bullet in the full case while the next charge is being dispensed i dont wait a bit.

Rocky Raab
06-26-2010, 10:07 AM
My original PACT/RCBS dispenser just died after ten years or so of excellent service. I never had a problem with it being "slow". In fact, it was faster than using a manual measure, then trickling every load up on a beam scale. MUCH faster.

My new Hornady digital dispenser unit is at this moment sitting in my local UPS depot, because they don't deliver on Saturdays. By Monday evening, I'll post my initial observations.

ghh3rd
06-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I use an RCBS electronic powder dispenser also, it is a nice tool.
BUT I have to ask, if you are using the Lee scale to get close and then using the C/M to trickle up the load--that must mean you trust the C/M scale for your last look at the charge weight. Why not just go with a full run on the C/M, or set it to one tenth under and then trickle it up ? I don't understand you logic on this one.

By C/M do you mean the electronic dispenser? I am setting the Lee 1 or 2 gr under and letting the electronic dispenser trickle the last bit of powder, while I'm busy elsewhere. Although I could be seating a boolit while letting the dispenser go through the full process, sometimes I just use the manual/automatic dispenser combination and quickly block 100 rounds and just seat all of the boolits as a separate step, at my leisure.

I guess I just like to change thigs up once in a while to see how I like it.

uscra112
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
These electronic dispensers depend on an electronic scale, (at least the modern ones do). I have yet to find an electronic scale that will maintain its' zero for more than five minutes at a time. They drift 2 or 3 tenths of a grain in my experience. This is a big percentage of most pistol charges. Does anyone else notice the same thing? Meanwhile, I'm back to using my Ohaus for any and all powder charges, with an old RCBS hand trickler to follow up an RCBS measure.

Storydude
06-26-2010, 10:11 PM
Rocky, call PACT. That device, although green and branded RCBS is still honored under PACT's lifetime warranty.

I sent mine back a few years back because I left unique in it for like a year..made the plastic all squishy.

IIRC, it was 20 bucks in shipping an zero charge. they sent me a brand new grey one.

ghh3rd
06-26-2010, 11:50 PM
I have yet to find an electronic scale that will maintain its' zero for more than five minutes at a time.
I've been checking mine against my Lee scale. Keeps dropping the same charge, each time.

I believe it was a little bit of W296 that I left in my RCBS for a couple of days -- sort of stuck and had to be rubbed off. It did leave a black color on the plastic with lots of tiny dimples. I can see how leaving it there for a year could turn it to mush.

Rocky Raab
06-27-2010, 10:11 AM
I may just ship it to PACT, and then sell the rig - or give it away. I still have the original boxes, books and all for both the scale and the dispenser (I'm like that).

oldtoolsniper
06-27-2010, 10:47 AM
I will toss in a good word for PACT as well, they have fixed two estate sale scales for me for the price of shipping both ways. I like to pass on the savings to the kids I teach to reload.

As for the exactness of a powder charge. I took 3 different charges 23gr 23.5gr and 24gr plus some factory rounds I shot 20 rounds of each in to 3 five round groups and there is no noticeable difference in the point of impact at 100 yards with a .223 for the last group I mixed 5 of each load along with 5 factory loads into my magazine after mixing them in my hat and I was still able to put all twenty mixed rounds into an 2 inch group at 100 yards rapid fire prone. My goal was to use a progressive press with it's variations in powder drops and to also be able to shoot off the shelf ammunition accurately.

I was surprised at how little the powder variations mattered.

Hardcast416taylor
06-27-2010, 02:43 PM
I must be VERY old school. I hand scale each rifle cartridge charge on my Dillon electronic scale. I check the zero measurement on it for every load. It has a tendency to let you weigh 4 or 5 loads then jump up several tenths of a grain in weight by itself. Dillon states their scale is +/- several tenths of a grain normally. Almost wish I still had my RCBS 505 scale that I gave to a newbie just starting. I use ball powders for my pistols. After setting the powder drop on my Hornady I check every 4th drop till I`m done loading that batch of shells.Robert

gray wolf
06-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I guess I use my set up a little different then some. I trust my 505 RCBS scale, I know it is accurate.
So I made up a bunch of sample weights from an Aluminum can. 1 grain up to 50 grains,
I guess I have about 25 of them in a little jar. After I zero the 505 I give it a little check with a couple of the weights. I do the same thing with the charge master. After I am sure they both read the same, I set the C/M for my desired weight, and set the 505 for the same weight.
I let the C/M drop the powder and then put the pan on the 505 to confirm the weight.
I use the 505 scale pan. I would say that 60 out of a huned will be within a half a tenth and they get loaded. 30 or so may be a tenth low, never any more. These go back on the C/M and get a little trickle and then a recheck on the 505. With this set up I can say my loads are dead nuts on according to the 505.
I do this now and kinda like it, Is it a little slow ?--yes a little but I don't mind at this point in my reloading game. It's relaxing.
I can drop 1.7 grains of tite group on the C/M for Julies 32 auto and recheck on the 505
and almost all are right on, and I feel comfortable doing it that way. 1.7 grains of anything
is a small amount.
I have an RCBS uniflow and a Hornady powder dropper and at this time they are in a drawer.
I load for the 45 ACP like this also--4.7--4.8 and 4.9 of tite group, depending on the bullet.
I hear a lot about the cheep electronic scales and even some of the 100 dollar ones, most of it not to good. I will say that the scale that comes with the C/M is a very good scale.
I almost never have to calibrate it, and if the 505 shows it's drifting a little all I do is re zero the pan.
Lets face it any electronic scale without enough decimal points like the ones we use
can not do charges better that 1/10 --the trip point in the scale that goes from 1/10 to the next 1/10 has to be set to trip up to the next 1/10 someplace in the middle.
I like the charge master but would not use it without the 505 right next to it.
For the speed freak people I would say you may find it a little slow, about 15 seconds to drop a charge--be it 5 grains or 45 grains of lets say H4831.
I use mine for the rifle shells also.

Sam
according to the 505

Rocky Raab
06-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Sam, my friend, while I applaud your methodicity, I have to smile wryly. Brother, it simply does NOT matter if you get to the nearest tenth. Really. In truth, getting to within 1% of the desired charge weight is more than good enough. Again, really. There are so many other variables involved between each and every shot that small powder charge variations are buried in the noise of everything else going on. Really and truly.

Go ahead and trim the last powder kernel to weight if you choose to, but also realize that the amount of fouling in the barrel from shot to shot has more influence than that degree of precision in the charge.

gray wolf
06-27-2010, 10:01 PM
ROCKY RABB

I give you no argument about what you are saying. I always used to use a powder dropper
and never complained. I just like doing it my way, I don't say it's a better way, it's just the way I do it now and I enjoy it.
People have one many matches before the charge master and will win them after it is gone.
Good shooting.

pjh421
06-28-2010, 09:02 AM
Don't put any AA9 or similar "dust" powders in your C/M. They work really well in the Uniflow but will bind up the C/M in short order.

Paul

mdi
06-28-2010, 11:00 AM
ROCKY RABB

I give you no argument about what you are saying. I always used to use a powder dropper
and never complained. I just like doing it my way, I don't say it's a better way, it's just the way I do it now and I enjoy it.
People have one many matches before the charge master and will win them after it is gone.
Good shooting.

Yes sir! I handload because I like to, and I don't have a quota or a time limit. I like to be exact as I possibly can, so weighing every charge isn't troublesome for me. I know a 1% to 2% variation isn't noticable as far as accuracy goes (especially with large bore handguns). If I had to load up xx number of rounds in xx time, I'd prolly just buy some. Reloading (I prefer "handloading") is fun, and very satisfying, so if my fun is extended 35 seconds on each round by weighing each charge, GOOD! If someone wants to load 1,000 rounds in an hour with a plus or minus 2% tollerance, GOOD.

Rocky Raab
06-28-2010, 11:32 AM
I also have no quibble with anyone who choose to be ultra-persnickety with their powder charges. It cannot hurt anything, and if it makes you more confident, then it certainly helps YOU, even if it doesn't really help the load.

This is a hobby, and the way one chooses to pursue it as important as anything else.

Rocky Raab
06-28-2010, 11:35 AM
BTW, and just in case somebody gives a hoot, the difference beween "reloading" and "handloading" is simple.

If you are loading ammunition using new, unfired cases, that is HANDloading (as opposed to machine loading).

If you are loading ammunition using previously fired cases, that is REloading.

But hardly anybody will object if you use either term for whatever it is you are doing.

winelover
06-28-2010, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=Lloyd Smale;931250 MY new lyman dispensor and my newer pact are fast enough that if I get into a rythm of seating a the bullet in the full case while the next charge is being dispensed i dont wait a bit.[/QUOTE]

I use the same method as Lloyd does, except that I use a RCBS Chargemaster. Never did have a use for loading blocks. Even when I threw charges, I seated a bullet right away. An added plus, is that the CM's keep a running total of weighted charges. You will know if you missed a case, if the numbers don't jive, at the end of a batch. Best thing since sliced bread IMO.

Winelover