PDA

View Full Version : To Pan lube or to Lyman-sizer

mongo-az
06-25-2010, 11:35 AM
OK - need some poll results....

I've been reloading for years, got hooked onto casting. Like most people, I'm still hit by the budget crisis, so money's always an issue. And I'm a low volume caster/reloader, only doing about 100-200 boolits at a time every few months - here's the question - should I bother to try to save the dough for a Lyman sizer/lube, stick with Alox for everything, or keep with what I'm doing now?

.45ACP - Lee .452 230gr 2 Ogive - Lee Alox for lube in 2 butter bowls

.380 auto - Lee 102gr .356 - pan lube

.45 colt - Lee .452 255gr FP - pan lube

I've been thinking the next one I want to cast for is .457 for my .45-70 - hence the quandary on the Lyman sizer-luber. :groner:

Time is not an issue - whether shooting, casting, sizing, lubing - it's all good times. :-P

Moonie
06-25-2010, 11:53 AM
Actually my vote for alox is really more for 45/45/10. Faster and easier than pan lubing and much less expensive than lubesizer. I do both 45/45/10 and panlube, never had a lubesizer.

qajaq59
06-25-2010, 12:02 PM
I voted for the lube-sizer because I've had one for years and like it. But if you are only doing a very few of them, maybe you can just go the other route. I should have read how many you do before I voted.

pistolman44
06-25-2010, 12:17 PM
I pan lubed in the begining but it got messy at times. So I bought a new Lyman 4500 last month. It sure beats pan lubing in my book. I also did the Lee Alox too. Alox is ok if you dont size your Boolits.

ghh3rd
06-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I bought and am using a Lyman 4500 for my .44 boolits with Felix lube - no leading issues. My .38's and .40's are TL design, and I've been using Alox for those - no leading on those either.

I tried pan lubing, but found a deal on the 4500 and jumped on it.

sergeant69
06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
i voted for more beer and less talk ( and here i am the one that asks the most questions!)

HeavyMetal
06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
The big hold up with shooting cast is the time it takes to make them!

As I started casting to feed an IPSC habit 200 every other month wasn't gonna git it done!

As I got into it I realized that time saved was time better used else where, like loading brass prep, dating and shooting!

What ever lube sizer you end up with I garontee you will shoot more, and say that you should have made the move to a sizer years ago!!!

geargnasher
06-26-2010, 12:32 AM

I've been reloading for years, got hooked onto casting. Like most people, I'm still hit by the budget crisis, so money's always an issue. And I'm a low volume caster/reloader, only doing about 100-200 boolits at a time every few months - here's the question - should I bother to try to save the dough for a Lyman sizer/lube, stick with Alox for everything, or keep with what I'm doing now?

I've been thinking the next one I want to cast for is .457 for my .45-70 - hence the quandary on the Lyman sizer-luber. :groner:

Time is not an issue - whether shooting, casting, sizing, lubing - it's all good times. :-P

Since you gave us your overall approach to the hobby in that last line, I will offer this: You can tumble lube and push-through size ANY and ALL of the above with 45/45/10 with pretty good results. You say you think the .45/70 may push you over the top to buying a lube/sizer, but IMO that caliber would be THE ONE that I would pan lube for, since big boolits with deep grooves work well with that method, plus you're not likely to shoot 200 in a weekend unless you're a lot tougher than me :razz:

Keep in mind that if you go with the lube/sizer, you have to buy a $20+ die for each size, plus an $8 top punch for each particular boolit, and that's on top of the cost of the machine, the bench space, the cost, space, and tooling required to make lube or just the cost if you're buying commercial lube, et cetera. Don't get me wrong, the lube/sizer, especially the Star, can't be beat, but is just not necessary for what you're doing. When you start shooting 500-yards with a .30-'06 using gas-checked, water-dropped boolits and lube that is harder than hammered cat poop, THEN you really need the machinery.

My advice would be to let your needs and budget dictate your equipment, rather than letting the equipment dictate your needs. Like Heavy Metal pointed out, your shooting volume will increase exponentially with every improvement in casting/loading efficiency. One thing leads to another, that's how I went from a single-cavity .358" mould, iron saucepan, ladle, and push-through sizer with pan to six-cavity moulds, multiple progressive presses, lots of R&D with tumble-lube, and a pair of 20lb bottom-pours pots in less than 20 years!

Gear

EMC45
06-26-2010, 07:14 AM
I pan lubed all my bullets for about the first year. realized it was not for me and me and MGD45 went in halves on a 4500. Haven't looked back since. I still tumble all my bullets in Alox after lubing though,

qajaq59
06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm a little surprised at those results so far. I read so often about people spraying Alox on that I thought I was in the minority for using the lube-sizer.

DLCTEX
06-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I have and do use them all, but I prefer to use lubesizers. I have a Lyman 45 and an RCBS and used them both this morning (different lubes).

Ed Gallop
06-26-2010, 04:29 PM
I have always used a Lyman Lube Sizer but when I heard good reports on the Lee Alox sizing process I bought one for my 38, 9mm, and 45. I didn't like messy bullets, especially the 9mm and 45 but did use Alox on several hundred 38/357 that I shot out of the box. Wouldn't want to put them in a bag, pocket, or magazine. I even gave up on the 38/357 and the three Lee Alox systems have been sitting on the shelf for over a year. I much prefer and use the Lyman Lube Sizer exclusively. Ed.

Ausglock
06-27-2010, 07:51 AM
G'day All.
I use a Lubesizer for 9mm and 40S&W cast bullets.
Tried Pan lubeing but it was too slow and messy.

My lube is parrafin, Vasoline mix. No leading in G34 with storm lake barrel and a G35 with Glock factory barrel.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-27-2010, 08:06 AM
I started out less than a years ago . . . I started with xlox (from our own Lars45, same stuff as Lees Alox) tumble lubing, then mixed in some mineral spirits, then started cooking in some Johnson Paste Wax (JPW), recently I went to pan lubing with Emmerts lube I made with 50% bees wax, 40% crisco, and 10% canola oil, the lube worked good, but was still messier than I liked, and took some time, just recently I bought a new RCBS LAM, although not as fast as I thought it would be, it is still about the same time as using a lee push through sizer, plus it s lubed!

But for you, I think pan lubing would be good . . . get two pans, one bigger than the other to make a double boiler, melt some lube, and pour.

I shoot mostly 38 spl. 357 mag, 44 spl, 44 mag . . . but I'm in the process of casting for my 270 and 7.62X39, and that AK likes boolits! I can shoot 1000 a month . . .

I voted pan lubing for you. Even though in a year or two you may be buying a lube/sizer!:bigsmyl2:

[smilie=s:

Seth Hawkins
06-27-2010, 08:09 AM
Get a used luber-sizer. Doesn't have to be Lyman. Shouldn't be hard to find used dies for those calibers, either.

qajaq59
06-27-2010, 08:44 AM
I shoot cast primarily in my rifles so the lube-sizer is a good tool. It sizes, lubes, and seats the gas check in one pull. I bought it used way back in the 60s so it doesn't owe me anything. However, I'd hate to have to buy a brand new one now as it would probably cost a fortune.

35 Whelen
06-27-2010, 01:23 PM

Get a lubrisizer! I understand the money issue. I've been reloading for 30+ of my 47 years and most of the equipment I have was used when I acquired it. For some reason, people new to handloading think they have to buy new equipment. Quality used equipment will outlast most of us.
A couple of years ago I got an old Lyman #45 lubrisizer in on trade. I've been using an RCBS that was handed down from my father for years now with no issues. But I set up the Lyman to use with soft lube and I actually prefer it over the RCBS. They occassionally sell for less than $50 on eBay.
35W

XWrench3
06-27-2010, 05:18 PM
i am a simial situation, except i shoot/cast more than you. i am on a fixed income, and there isnt much left at the end of the month. i am, and have used lee liquid alox, pan lubing, painting on lube with a paint brush, applyint with my fingers, etc., etc., etc.. i am of the opinion that as soon as you can afford one, buy a lube/sizer. even if it means buying used. the chances of buying a bad one are slim, and a used one should do the same job as a new one. just make sure you can buy the top punches and sizing dies for what you need. all of the other methods are either a P.I.T.A., or work marginally.

jh45gun
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Lubrisizer Get one used if need be after doing the lee method and some pan lube method its the best and easiest way to go with the I think nicest results.

Adam10mm
06-29-2010, 12:56 AM
Pan lubing is for survival stuff. I could not imagine doing it for normal stuff. A Lyman is to slow, I'd get a Star.

blikseme300
06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
For almost 30 years I used tumble lube for my hand gun boolits. When I switched to a Star it was as if the light was turned on!

Get a lube sizer and enjoy shooting more.

Bliksem

Casting Timmy
06-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I voted for the Lyman. Buy the master casting kit and sell off all the other components that you don't want to get a cheaper sizer than buying it alone.

mpmarty
06-29-2010, 07:22 PM
I've got a Lyman 45 and a Star. I find it's faster and easier to just tumble lube with 50/50 LLA/JPW and my 45acps and 45/70s don't know the difference. Good accuracy and no leading. I do use the LEE push through sizer to seat gas checks on some of the 45/70 stuff but also shoot the 350gr Ranch Dog without a check over around 40gr of Reloader 7.

Bass Ackward
06-30-2010, 07:02 AM
And I'm a low volume caster/reloader, only doing about 100-200 boolits at a time every few months - here's the question - should I bother to try to save the dough for a Lyman sizer/lube, stick with Alox for everything, or keep with what I'm doing now?

If you are 85, probably not. If you are 25, then why not? I am down to 4 lubricisers. Most expensive was $65. But before you feel too badly for me, it came with 6 sets of dies. If I sell those some day for $10, I will feel that I made out.

Catching the drift here?

You look at casting equipment in terms of boxes of bullets that you are using whether that is boxed cast or jacketed, not dollars. How many boxes of either cast or jacketed will something cost for me to break even. Regardless of the answer, it will make sense for you and you will draw the correct conclusion .... for you.

The only time you think in dollars is when you sell.

Recluse
07-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd rather dip my tallywhacker in honey-butter and stick it in a fire-ant bed than go through the rigors of pain-lubing.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=67654

Easy, cheap, very effective, very simple, no mess.

I also use a lubesizer on various boolits, but I could live without it--especially with the calibers you listed.

:coffee:

redbird1976
07-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I'd definitely get a lube sizer. Pan lubing is messy.

MtGun44
07-12-2010, 04:03 PM
Pan lubing is slow and messy, but works just fine. I used it for a couple years when I was
too poor to afford my first lubrisizer.

Hours and $$ are directly interchangable commodities. Then I had time and very little
money. Now I have more money and much less time.

Only YOU can decide the relative availability of each of them and therefore set the
"exchange rate".

A Lyman or RCBS will be ideal for what you are doing. IMO a Star (I have two each of
Star and Lyman/RCBS types) is for a single design that you load in LARGE batches like
500 minimum unless you are very well off financially. Wonderful machines but not best
for a beginner with low volume, many different boolits and a $$ shortage. All three are
poor matches for a Star.

Bill

knappy
09-12-2010, 07:54 PM

I would go with lube/sizer I have tried the other ways but find the lyman is the best way to go.

Fly-guy
09-12-2010, 08:36 PM
I've pan lubed, lyman 450'ed many, many, and am currently sold on 45/45/10++++. it's easier, faster and soooo much more fun! I first used the cool whip tub and they when my wife wasn't looking got one of her tupperware bowls. The snap on lid increased my tumble lubing enjoyment emensley!:cbpour: