PDA

View Full Version : Wife's - Just gotta love them!

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-25-2010, 08:27 AM
This morning I opened my email and found this:

------------------------

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob83.html

Thought you might like this for a few reasons: not that you need another gun: L.O.L.
However, if it is ideal, then why not.

UR Wife 4 Life,
Cyndi

-------------------------

I don't have a 1911, but . . . you just never know . . . I never really had much interest in them . . . I don't even have the last TWO guns I bought on gunbroker in my hands yet!

Charlie Sometimes
06-25-2010, 08:56 AM
Well, if you've never had much interest in one, I wouldn't get one. Get something that you WOULD like better and is comfortable to your hand. It is about fit and control. If you don't practice much, one that does the first, will do the second much better. If YOU don't like it for ANY reason, you won't be happy.

A double action revolver is much more reliable in a pinch- a single action revolver is even better. Stay cool and make shots count (head shots, if necessary), and you won't have to worry about reloading. A fight shouldn't last for more than the initial loading/magazine anyway. Someone or something should be down and out before a reload is necessary.

45 ACP is a proven manstopper- but, if I were you, I'd get something with sufficient power that you can properly place your shots with as above. Not knowing your build, and skill level- I would suggest at least a 357 Magnum with HP loads, or a larger caliber 44 Special to 45 Colt.

In Ayoob's words at the end of the article- "the 1911 .45 auto is better suited to the skilled and dedicated practitioner than to the amateur."

crabo
06-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Well, if you've never had much interest in one, I wouldn't get one.

I wouldn't get one for another reason. It's hard to stop at one!

thegreatdane
06-25-2010, 09:49 AM
on a separate note, you seem to be quite the lucky man. go 10mm

BruceB
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Y'know, there's no doubt that I fall well-within the envelope of those called "old timers", although I don't really consider myself in that light.

However, I've been a serious student of guns and shooting for upwards of fifty years. In that span, I've probably owned, handloaded-for, and FIRED (a lot) virtually every major rifle and handgun system that's come along since the dawn of the metallic cartridge.

Having done this fifty-odd-year "test", my personal "using" battery has cooked down to a relative few guns. Service-type rifles include the FAL, Mini-14, M1, M1A and AR-15. Hunting rifles (centerfire), run the usual gamut from .223 to .416. Carry-type handguns embrace several 9mms, a .45 SIG 220.....and THREE 1911 .45s with a fourth under very serious consideration. Plus a few S&W revolvers, of course.

It's my firm belief that there is simply no better personal-defense pistol than a 1911. Some may be just as good (see that SIG 220) but in owning hundreds of guns and firing many thousands of rounds downrange, I have found nothing better. Yes, I've tried the plastic-fantastic creations of the last several decades, but at least for *me*, the 1911 works wonderfully. The latest one I'm considering is an original aluminum-frame Commander from the 1950s. It weighs and bulks the same as my SIG, but....go figure!

Anyone who hasn't given a 1911 a good, honest trial owes it to himself to do so, if only so he knows what the rest of us are talking about. You might even fall in love with the old girl, as millions already have done!

gray wolf
06-25-2010, 10:50 AM
It's my firm belief that there is simply no better personal-defense pistol than a 1911. Some may be just as good (see that SIG 220) but in owning hundreds of guns and firing many thousands of rounds downrange, I have found nothing better. Yes, I've tried the plastic-fantastic creations of the last several decades, but at least for *me*, the 1911 works wonderfully. The latest one I'm considering is an original aluminum-frame Commander from the 1950s. It weighs and bulks the same as my SIG, but....go figure!

Anyone who hasn't given a 1911 a good, honest trial owes it to himself to do so, if only so he knows what the rest of us are talking about. You might even fall in love with the old girl, as millions already have done!

I could not agree more +1 for the 1911

82nd airborne
06-25-2010, 11:31 AM
+2 for the 1911. even though that first shot should count...when your heart is beating 1000beats per minute, sometimes it just doesnt connect. that second thru 8th shot is comforting.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
06-25-2010, 11:54 AM
John Moses Browning is my hero. The 1911 is my favorite sidearm. Tried and True will always out perform New and Improved on the battlefield.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-25-2010, 12:30 PM
I just never shot one . . . don't quite under stand the "cocked and locked" phrase . . .

I've been very happy with my Ruger Blackhawk and SP101 in 357 mag, also got a Super Redhawk Alaskan in 44 mag . . .

I know there is a lot of interest out there in a .45 1911 . . . just never got around to it . . . yet . . .

The only auto hand gun I have had (sold it) was a Glock 19 . . . I really like my revolvers, and could not see the benefit of 16 rounds of inferior power and loss of accuracy . . . so I sold it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU :mrgreen::Fire::Fire:

Maybe I just need to try one . . . what is a good example to try . . . I have big hands! (lets say for under $1000) That is why I like my Alaskan . . . My little SP 101 needed new Houge grips to make it work . . . I don't practice as much as I should, but I try to send out a few hundred rounds a month, once in awhile it is close to 1000.

Of course you know that this will mean that I will need to buy even more molds (got three ordered now . . . two from Mihec, one 359 and a 434, plus a 314 from Swede) and of course dies, and more powder . . . and make a holster for it . . .

My "build":
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Tombstone082600.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hunting002.jpg

captaint
06-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Well, I haven't read anything on this post that I can completely disagree with. I will say this - I just bought my 4th 1911. It's of course a real sweetheart. I own other semi auto pistols and a raft of revolvers. Maybe this recent 1911 will be my last. But then I said that after the one before!! enjoy Mike

Forester
06-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I have put something around 100,000 rounds through 1911s and had the good fortune to have one handy during a more serious "social situation".

I like my revolvers, and other guns, and the plastic guns have their place but nothing feels quite like that old pair of gloves, or well worn shoes when I pick it up like a 1911 does. Add to that stellar accuracy and easy to carry and I really can not find much not to like!

WallyM3
06-25-2010, 01:16 PM
I always had a theoretical fondness for the .45 1911A1 until late one night many years ago in Charleston, SC. After that, it was a practical confidence (and gratitude).

He fired 5 times, missing. I fired once, missing. Well, at 40 yards and at night, whatduyahwant?

Mine was the last shot of the debate. The explosion that echoed off the buildings and burst of blue-yellow flame that looked about 8 feet long convinced all involved that further examination of the issue would not prove of profit to instigator.

Things were quiet in that neighborhood for weeks thereafter.

casterofboolits
06-25-2010, 02:22 PM
1911 pistols are addictive. :bigsmyl2: I used to have twelve, but hve trimmed them back to only five.[smilie=l: I have never had a malfuntion that wasn't caused by my trying to use the 45ACP cases too long. Up to fifty reloads will severly deform the rim which will not let the rim engage the extractor.

I used the 45ACP in IPSC for twenty years.

I have collected about 10,000 rounds of brass over the years and have 10,000 large pistol primer and fourteen pounds of 231, so I'm set for whats left of my life.

The downside of a 1911 is that you need a competent pistolsmith do a trigger job and tune the recoil system. Altho, I understand that the newer, non Colt versions are ready to run out of the box.

Char-Gar
06-25-2010, 02:43 PM
A little over 50 years ago 1911A1 was my first only centerfire pistol. It remained such, for four very active years. With it, I learned how to shoot, reload and depend on a handgun. It sided me many nights in the West Texas deserts and mountains. It killed lots of critters and got me out of one very tought social situation.

Today, I have all manner of handguns, but the 1911 still is at the top of my list. I learned it's virtues early on in life and have not forgotton those lessons. Today, I have three of them, and one of them is the first one I pick up. The myriad of other pistols get less and less use these days, and I find myself becoming a one gun (well three) man all over again.

The 45 Automatic is not the perfect gun for everybody, but for me it is as close to perfect as I have found. It feels like an extension of my body and I trust it far more than any human being.

Over the years, I have learned to work on them and they are just like a T model Ford in simplicity once you get the hang of it.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
I was just poking around on gunbroker . . . seems that the rock island and citadel are the bottom of the heap . . . would they be a gun worth looking at? Or will they not give me a clear accurate view of what a 1911 is all about?

Seems that some new S&W's are in my price range . . . and some colts, I think this looks like a decent colt http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=175412904 a few kimbers are under $1000 . . . we just got back from getting groceries, and were talking during the 30 min ride about this . . . Cyndi was saying that if it would be a good gun to have we should get one . . . even though they don't hold a lot more rounds than my 44 mag it might make the difference . . .

I have a friend (yes I do too!) that I think has a couple of 1911's . . . I do believe that he showed them to me one day, showing me what a good light trigger was all about . . . one was some special kimber, the other was a wilson something or other, both much more money than I want to spend at this time . . . ($3,000 - $5,000!) I don't want to shoot his expensive models as I'm sure I would never then be happy with a "regular" one!

[smilie=s:

82nd airborne
06-25-2010, 04:04 PM
123, if you have big hands the para double stack feels nice, ive got one and it shoots with any other 1911 ive had my hands on.

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-25-2010, 04:27 PM
I say I have large hands, but I really only take a "large" or "XL" size glove, I do have long fingers . . . well . . . most of them anyways! I got the middle finger on my right hand amputated, so I'm missing from the last joint on . . . I have seen much larger hands which dwarf mine!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Hand.jpg

I do have small wrists, which makes my hands seem larger!

If I were to buy a gun, I'd want stainless, and a decent gun, that if I decide I don't care fore it, I can sell it easily, and not loose my shirt!

82nd airborne
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
heres a good 1911 for big hands, holds 13 +1 of the nasties. one of my home defense guns.....

Caster Blaster
06-25-2010, 06:42 PM
123, I have a Colt XSE govt model (full size model of what you linked) that off-hand, will put 40-50 rounds in a paper plate, at a moderate pace, at 25 yards every sunday morning. It is absolutely my "go-to" gun.

BruceB
06-25-2010, 09:37 PM
On the subject of wives, I came home from Reno last week and told my wife about the SWEETEST #1 Ruger I have ever laid eyes upon in all my born days. This was a #1A in 7x57 at Scheel's, with a stock made from what looked like exhibition-grade Circassian walnut....it was an INCREDIBLE piece of wood!

The price wasn't bad, but I didn't think I should pay it right then.

SO, as stated, I mentioned it to my wife, who happened to be going to Reno on Wednesday. Turns out that she went to the store, intending to buy it and stash it for me until next Christmas! Sadly, it was gone....but she's pulled this act in the past with guns I wanted, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to find if it was REALLY gone, or she's just funnin'. How long to Christmas, anyways???

(Hope, hope, hope)

mroliver77
06-26-2010, 04:26 AM
I didnt think it got any better than my SA "Loaded" 1911.
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/mroliver77/M1ANM019.jpg
Then A buddy picked me up this Colt Commander at a gun show for a really great price
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo189/mroliver77/1991A1001.jpg
The Commander is my "battle pistol" it goes where I go. It is just enough smaller that it carries much easier than a full sized 1911 (and I have little complaint about carrying a "full size" 1911)
Jay

Charlie Sometimes
06-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Say what you want about the 1911's- having one is better than having nothing at all.
I still stand by my original post.
The Ruger single action in an appropriate caliber is sufficient for ANYTHING that will present itself under any conditions, and they can be had in 45 Colt & 45 ACP as well. The 1911 and it's variants can not do that. They can be fired as fast or faster than an auto, in trained hands. But we are not talking about that here.
I have XL or better hands, and I prefer the SA over any auto.
I would add that I find the Ruger P90, Para-Ordnance P14, and SIG P220 to be comfortable in my hands. But they are not as "fitting" as an New Model Ruger (pre cowboy action influenced changes).

And, you can buy TWO Ruger SA for the price of most autos- maybe THREE, depending on what you get.

Just my view from this front porch.

Charlie Sometimes
06-26-2010, 11:17 AM
On the subject of wives, I came home from Reno last week and told my wife about the SWEETEST #1 Ruger I have ever laid eyes upon in all my born days. This was a #1A in 7x57 at Scheel's, with a stock made from what looked like exhibition-grade Circassian walnut....it was an INCREDIBLE piece of wood!

The price wasn't bad, but I didn't think I should pay it right then.

SO, as stated, I mentioned it to my wife, who happened to be going to Reno on Wednesday. Turns out that she went to the store, intending to buy it and stash it for me until next Christmas! Sadly, it was gone....but she's pulled this act in the past with guns I wanted, so I'll have to wait until Christmas to find if it was REALLY gone, or she's just funnin'. How long to Christmas, anyways???

(Hope, hope, hope)

Me, I'd have to get it myself. The wife will not buy me anything- ANYTHING even closely relate to firearms. Says I'm too picky, and she is not at all interested in helping me sooth my afflicition. :sad:

You got a keeper there, better keep her! :smile:

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Charlie,

I picked my Alaskan in 44 mag because I like revolvers, and I like the 2.5" snub nose barrel, which you won't find on most single actions, and I can reload easier and faster, it has a quick second shot with a choice of single or double action . . . Once I get a holster made for it, I plan on CC it. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87268 I had thought of buying a single action Ruger in 44 mag 4 5/8" barrel, which I could find a good used one for less than half what my Alaskan cost new (which was HARD to find!) I quite often have carried my 6.5" Blackhawk 357 mag all day in a shoulder holster, that is heavier than my Alaskan.
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Ruger%20Alaskan/New002.jpg

My mid 1980's "new model" had the worst walnut grips . . . the were thin, and way too short . . . the grips went at a 45 degree angle down to the frame at the bottom, and left my pinky hanging, bought a pair of Houges, and much better fit, doesn't look as "traditional", but I can shoot it now! Isn't that the purpose of a gun?!!
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Guns037.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Guns038.jpg

The auto's have an advantage of more shots, but . . . do I (or most people) really need more than six rounds? I hope not! And auto will not be as "fat" as a 44 mag revolver's cylinder. I hope and pray I never have to draw on a human, worse yet shoot them, however if it is me or them, I will draw and fire, one shot should take care of that, I hope.

However . . . here is an opportunity that does not exist everyday, when my wife says, go ahead and buy another gun . . . now if I do decide to buy one, I'd buy one that has decent resale value . . . I plan on talking to my friend at church tomorrow, and see if I can play with his (if he has a "regular" one!) at least run a box through it to get an idea if I want to buy a gun, dies, moulds, brass, holster . . .

I'm not really a "auto" guy, even though I do have the 10/22 (which is gonna be for sale soon!) The two guns coming are older Rem 511P's one for me, and one for Cyndi! I like older simpler, reliable things, one reason I drive an 1982 Mercedes Benz diesel:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Mercedes%20Benz/82%20240D/82MBAtStrongholdRanchs.jpg
I was thinking about "What if the end of the world as we know it" happens"? Would I be as well off with my scoped Remington 700 BDL .270, or should I invest in a "auto"? I decided that if I needed it, it would be good to have a semi rifle with a few big mags, so . . . I bought a AK47, one for me, and another for my favorite wife, along with 20 mags and thousands of rounds! The Rem could pull sniper duty over 200+ yards, and the AK's will work up closer. The reason I'm saying all this is that I have over looked some things before, and the old saying of "It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it" One of the reasons I have 5-6 months of food stored up at my house (want over a year . . .)

Charlie Sometimes
06-26-2010, 11:01 PM
I hear ya! :smile:
I do own ONE semiauto pistol- Ruger KP90D in 45 ACP.
It belonged to my Dad- one of his favorites, so-so to me.
I shoot it occasionally- I hate to chase the brass! :twisted:

I drop my ACP cylinder into my Blackhawk ocassionally too, but otherwise I just stick with 45 Colt.

I just put my pinky underneath the grip- short of like sitting the revolver on a rest! :grin:

Thumbcocker
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
For me the 1911 and the contender are in the same boat. I have a lot of respect for them but I can not love them. I am pretty much a wheel gun person for a lot of reasons. During the 1980's all the gunzines were talking about the 1911. The upsohot of most articles was that they took a brand new gun and then spent the cost of another gun to make it "street worthy". It was sort of like lifting up the front sight and putting a new gun under it.

Since then I have gotten a better idea of what a 1911 was made to do. Make big holes in bad guys at gunfight ranges. For a cover my backside gun I could see a 1911 but I still love revolvers the most.

mroliver77
07-01-2010, 02:00 PM
I do love my SA and DA revolvers! I love most all gun types. I carry the Blackhawk in .45 Colt around the place with me for the occasional chuck or coydog etc. The 1911 has dispatched many unwanted critters also. The 1911 carries much better than the others for ME. It is more user friendly to me and can put quite a few accurate rounds downrange in a hurry if needed. The 1911 does handle quite a selection of calibers and can really become an earschplittenloudenboomer in some of the offerings. Neither of my 1911 guns have much done to them and they work just dandy.
I carried a Rock Islan Armory 1911a1 that belonged to a friend for awhile. It never hicupped or had any issues. It was $250 brandy new when they first came around. I would carry another an feel well armed.
If you can give one a try goe for it!
Jay

Three-Fifty-Seven
07-03-2010, 09:34 AM
So . . . I made a $500 decision! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=87798 [smilie=1:

:Fire: