PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a Flat rate USPS box to send ammo with UPS?

Muddy Creek Sam
06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
May be a dumb question, but they are the only boxes I have.

Sam :D

obssd1958
06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Sam,
The packaging actually states -

"This package is the property of the U.S. Postal Service and is provided solely for use in sending Priority Mail shipments. Misuse may be a violation of federal law. This package is not for resale."

If you turned it inside out, or completely covered the outside so that no U.S. Mail marking is showing, you might get away with using it - but no guarantees!

Best answer I can come up with, for what it's worth!!

Take care,

Don

testhop
06-23-2010, 09:11 PM
i dont think you can ship ammo by mail .
it is under the heading of hazart meteral.

frankenfab
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
"hazart meteral":drinks:

Yup, thaswhat we callit. Sameting.:mrgreen:

Blackhawk Convertable
06-23-2010, 09:17 PM
The inside of the box ALSO has the USPS markings on them...

Storydude
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
I doubt the Mail cops are going to come a knocking.

pmeisel
06-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Don't know about loaded ammo, but I just got some bullets that way. Box is still sitting here...

Nice looking bullets too. I am not a caster, at least yet. Sorry, "boolits"....

BoolitBill
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I used the boxes to ship ammo through UPS . I just cut up brown paper bags from the super market and covered over the USPS boxes. You do have to place an ORD-M sticker on the box also.

http://www.type03.net/ammo/orm-d-white-sheet.pdf

I believe both Fed Ex and UPS will ship loaded ammo but UPS is easier:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=133&t=372846

MT Gianni
06-23-2010, 10:37 PM
The boxes are not free they are provided for the use of customers. I might justify it if they were used but that would be the only way.

Springfield
06-23-2010, 10:48 PM
To answer what I think your question was, no, UPS will not care. Have had things sent to me this way.

Dennis Eugene
06-24-2010, 12:04 AM
The fact is the boxes are provided to USPO customers for use in USPO mail any other use is dishonest. Now can you live with being dishonest? Even if it's only a lil bit dishonest? No one can answer that question but you. Dennis

Echo
06-24-2010, 02:24 AM
I agree with the above, all of it. I got yelled at by the dragon in the satellite PO, even though the box was wrapped in brown grocery bag paper and going overseas. 6x6x6 box was just too obvious, I guess.

On the other hand, I have re-used the Flat Rate boxes, and felt no guilt. Used w/USPS, though...

44fanatic
06-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Im inclined to think that USPS is providing a great service w/ the flat rate boxes and I dont want to abuse it, they delivered 25 FR boxes to my house. I would look at other alternatives for a shipping box, you may be able to get a box at walmart or UPS.

RayinNH
06-24-2010, 10:53 AM
Staples sells boxes. I believe Wally Mart does also...Ray

Muddy Creek Sam
06-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Guess I'll have to break down and go to town, 50 mile round trip in either direction.

Adam10mm
06-24-2010, 11:30 AM
US mail will not accept loaded ammunition and it's a violation of postal regulations to mail ammunition. Component brass and bullets are fine. Loaded ammo must go UPS or FedEx Ground ORM-D.

higgins
06-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Whether the mail cops come knocking or not, the UPS store I was in the other day accepts USPS shipments too, So there's no telling how it may get (mis)handled if it's a USPS box with a UPS mailing label. I wouldn't risk it getting lost or otherwise mishandled, even if I walked into the customer counter at a UPS hub. I also wouldn't rely on what a counter person says since it will go through other hands before it gets to the destination.

Suo Gan
06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
I used the boxes to ship ammo through UPS . I just cut up brown paper bags from the super market and covered over the USPS boxes. You do have to place an ORD-M sticker on the box also.

http://www.type03.net/ammo/orm-d-white-sheet.pdf

I believe both Fed Ex and UPS will ship loaded ammo but UPS is easier:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=133&t=372846

No sticker, Just ORM-D Cartridges, Small Arms inside a rectangle. I just put it on the package with a marker.

Suo Gan
06-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Guess I'll have to break down and go to town, 50 mile round trip in either direction.

Sam, Just cover the box with paper. No big deal I don't think.

sleeper1428
06-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Depending on your location - in regard to the nearest UPS Customer Center - FedEx may actually be easier to use since they require that the package containing the ammo be picked up rather than brought into one of their shipping centers. The procedure is rather simple - just apply for a no-cost FedEx account and once you have an account number just plug it in and arrange for an appropriate pickup time. It will speed things up if you have the package dimensions and weight on hand when FedEx comes to pickup up the package and of course you'll need to have ORM-D labels affixed to the package, indicating that the package contains small arms ammo. Considering the fact that I live quite a distance from the UPS Customer Center, FedEx pickup is much easier for me but of course if you happen to live just down the block from a UPS Center then you'd probably want to go with them.

sleeper1428

cajun shooter
06-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Office Depot, Wally World, and any office supply will sell boxes. All those Mail Box stores do to but they are three to four times higher than the others. If the USPS wanted to make a case to show others then it would be able to put you in some legal **** that is FEDERAL!!!

wiljen
06-25-2010, 09:15 AM
Considering you posted the question online and it does say "Misuse is a violation of federal law", I'd say somewhere they have a lawyer with nothing better to do who is already reading this and wondering if he can find your info.

I'd buy another box.

Storydude
06-26-2010, 10:45 AM
No offense, but misusing the milk crates my ingots are in is against the law too....

:)

EDIT: That said, I've received stuff in USPS boxes from UPS. I don't do it, but it seems other people do.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Well, Ammo was shipped in the box that Katie's horse rope came in. Plain brown cardboard box that was cut down to fit.

Dennis Eugene
06-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Good on you Sam. And Storydude you are correct and I guess that I'm in the wrong by useing the very same said milk crates. Dennis

MT Gianni
06-26-2010, 08:42 PM
No offense, but misusing the milk crates my ingots are in is against the law too....

:)

EDIT: That said, I've received stuff in USPS boxes from UPS. I don't do it, but it seems other people do.

I would agree that unless you purchased them it is against the law.

rondog
06-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Jeez, like empty boxes are so hard to find.....