PDA

View Full Version : A very short Mauser

XBT
05-10-2005, 12:12 PM
Pictured below is one of my more interesting ex-military rifles, shown with a standard 98K to illustrate the size difference.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/retiredBT/gun3.jpg

This gun was built by F.N. and has the usual F.N. markings. I believe it was made post war, possibly for the Colombian police. It has a 17 ¼” barrel and is chambered for 30-06. The exposed bluing is turning brown and the stock has many light dings. The bore is bright, with “like new” rifling. Overall the rifle has the appearance of a gun that has been “handled much and shot little.”

It’s light and handy to carry, and is a pleasant cast boolit shooter, but I wouldn’t want to shoot ball ammo in that seventeen inch barrel.

If anyone can tell me more about this rifle, please post it here.

Thanks, Jim

trooperdan
05-10-2005, 04:09 PM
XBT, is there any crest or markings on the reciever? I once had a Mexican shorty; that thing had only (barely) a 16" barrel It was a 7x57 and I loved it! I think it was a model 1924 but also model 1910 keeps popping up in my mind.

I was told it was used by Mexican horse calvary; I don't know for dead certain but I DO know there was a bunch of roan colored horse hair in the barrel channel the first time I took it down! :)

XBT
05-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Dan,
I believe it had a crest that was carefully removed. If you look very closely you can see the signs of removal. Someone took great care in removing it. It is also marked “.30” on the receiver bridge.There are no other markings besides the F.N. stuff on the left side.

I’m not sure about the Colombian connection; it’s just something I read about a similar rifle on another board.

P.S. I checked the barrel channel….no horsehair!!

Jim

Buckshot
05-11-2005, 05:08 PM
...........I'd heard about these very short carbines, the Columbian in particular. I could appreciate the muzzle blast a 30-06 would produce! I know that FN also made a model 1922 for the Brazilian government in 7x57 which had a 20" barrel.

Apparently they made a BUNCH of the barrels as in the early-mid 90's it seemed several surplus dealers were offering the barrels in the white, fully chambered and threaded for $19. I bought 2 of'em and now wish I'd have bought a couple more (with all these small ring actions I have on hand):grin:.

I used one to make a 7x57 sporter for my daughter and the other to create a 1895 Chilean cavalry carbine. These barrels have popped up from time to time but not at $19[smilie=b:

That's a very nice specimen you have there.

................Buckshot

jh45gun
05-11-2005, 10:38 PM
...........I'd heard about these very short carbines, the Columbian in particular. I could appreciate the muzzle blast a 30-06 would produce! I know that FN also made a model 1922 for the Brazilian government in 7x57 which had a 20" barrel.

Apparently they made a BUNCH of the barrels as in the early-mid 90's it seemed several surplus dealers were offering the barrels in the white, fully chambered and threaded for $19. I bought 2 of'em and now wish I'd have bought a couple more (with all these small ring actions I have on hand):grin:.

I used one to make a 7x57 sporter for my daughter and the other to create a 1895 Chilean cavalry carbine. These barrels have popped up from time to time but not at $19[smilie=b:

That's a very nice specimen you have there.

................Buckshot

I made a Spanish 7x57 from parts. A buddy orded some cheap barreled actions (Mod 93 Spanish) We bought used bolts from Springfield sporters and I bought a used barrel as at the time there were no new ones available and really have not been for a while. The barrels in these were pretty much shot even with electro cleaning they still were bad. My buddy bought the 7.62x39 kit and I opted to stay with the 7mm. IF I knew then what I know now I would have bought a new in the white 6.5x55 which was available then but not no more. :( The barrel I did get from Springfield Sporters is not bad it was dark but the rifleing is good in it not excellent but still good enough to work as a hunting gun. I got really lucky put it all together and it headspaced perfect. Pretty weird considering the barrel, bolt and reciever are all nonmatching. There still are some pristine mausers out there my Gunsmith just bought 7x57 and a 3006 that are really nice. A old guy gave him a 7x57 29 inch barreled one too that is about next to mint.

Four Fingers of Death
05-12-2005, 08:26 AM
It looks like the Columbian mausers which were on sale here in Australia (and no doubt everyelse) some years ago. They were as cheap as chips and a very popular pig gun. Probably deafened almost as many aussies as columbians. As far as I can remember evry one I saw was a FN.
Mick.

The FAMAGE mausers were around at the same time and they were all standard length and also were remanafactured FNs. I mention it as they were both popular surplus rifles around the same time. I have a stock off one of these in my basement and it broke at the wrist and I replaced it before selling it. It is walnut with a striking tiger stripe/fiddle back pattern through it. My friends used to joke that it had been the Fuhrer's rifle it was so striking. I have been going to make a couple of pistola grips out of it, but never got around to it.