PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Swage

joeb33050
08-15-2006, 06:47 PM
I'm looking for a bullet swage to be used in a press, with a tap-out top-punch.
This to bump up and down a 311299, up on the nose to .304", tapering on the bands from .3085" to 310".
Is there anyone out there who makes these?
Thanks;
joe b.

357maximum
08-15-2006, 07:46 PM
I would try CORBIN.

Maven
08-15-2006, 07:49 PM
The late Don Eagan (CBA) used to make these, but I don't know whether someone else is operating his business. Ed Wosika (CBA) also used to make these prior to selling his business. I suppose you can ask if he'll make you one. Also, why not ask Buckshot, whose workmanship is second to none?

StarMetal
08-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Corbin would be prohibitly expensive, that is even if he would make it. I made one to bump up a 7mm bullet. The hardess part is making a tool that will cut the exact same nose shape in the die. But I can't make you one, because I'm third to none, not second to none like Buckshot, so you should contact him.:drinks:

Joe

georgeld
10-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Joe:

Have you had any success finding what you need yet??

IF not, PM me, or e/m would be better.

For something simple like this. you guys with a lathe, and/or mill.

Turn the exact shape you want on the lathe from a piece of high carbon steel, or drill rod IF you have it.

Then either grind, or mill exactly half of it away leaving the full shape on the other half. Then temper it real hard, a good bright red before it gets to orange or yellow color. Then quench it til cold.

Once that's done, stone the flat surface til the edge's are nice and sharp. Pilot drill your die material to a close size, then by HAND turn the chuck and ream the hole out with this "hand reamer". This should make a decent tool for swaging, sizing etc.

I got a 3' section of all thread 7/8"x14 from Wholesaletools.com for $11.70 along with an order for other stuff. Just cut piece's off it for what ever I want to make.

Joe< I'd be willing to try making ONE for you with sample's of the bullet for a pattern. No guarantee how it'll turn out, or IF I can or not. But, I'd be willing to try it once.

Buckshot
10-13-2006, 01:23 AM
.............georgeld, just like 'D' reamer/single edge reamer or a form tool.

..............Buckshot