PDA

View Full Version : Use a holster! Don't be like this guy!

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-23-2010, 02:28 PM
Shot himself!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2011994648_accident31m.html?prmid=obinsite

44fanatic
06-23-2010, 03:03 PM
If for some reason I happen to pull the trigger with my HOLSTERED gun, im only gonna loose some flesh off my butt...no big loss, my wife chews it all the time.

HeavyMetal
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Gotta wonder!

I'm only guessing but will suspect he had no holster at all. Might hav been "stashed" in a pants pocket an auto pistol that the safety got swiped off or a revolver that got "cocked" on the pocket liner.

Either way if he started looking for his Keys or cash by "patting" his front pockets, Hey I've done that!, and set off the gun!

He's already paid a higher price for this action than the "Man" will ever sentence him to!

I will try to follow this story.

Doby45
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I wear mine everyday on my strongside hip with nothing more than the clip that came with it. Would not carry it any other way. Key here is keep your stinkin finger off the trigger. If it "accidently" went off with out the trigger being massaged it would have done the same thing in a holster. Better yet, DON'T APPENDIX CARRY!

Edubya
06-23-2010, 03:25 PM
If for some reason I happen to pull the trigger with my HOLSTERED gun, im only gonna loose some flesh off my butt...no big loss, my wife chews it all the time.

But, if we find out about it we'll laugh and point fingers at you :kidding:

EW

deltaenterprizes
06-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Ouch!

Three-Fifty-Seven
06-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Now I know what people say about assuming . . . but it does say he just tucked in his waist band . . . most guns don't just go "boom" for no reason, just like ammo doesn't go off sitting on the shelf . . . he more than likely was trying to get something out of his pocket, and got the trigger!

If he was trying to draw it, it would not be labeled as "accidental" if he squezzed the trigger on purpose he is nutz! Well . . . maybe not plural!:veryconfu

A holster will not stop a round from penatrating, but if it is a smart design, it will prevent trigger access.

Oyeboten
06-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Like all well made and reliable Machinery - Guns do exactly what we ask of them.

Suo Gan
06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Poor guy probably had to sell the holster to be able to buy ammo. Damn Murphy!

mtnman31
06-23-2010, 05:14 PM
Not to sound callous, but it sounds to me like fate's way of keeping this poor guy from reproducing.

Just beacuse someone has the right to own a firearm, doesn't mean that we all have the smarts or responsibility to own them. Same with reproducing, just because you can make babies doesn't necessarily mean you have what it takes to be a parent.

Okay, maybe that is a bit callous...

rtracy2001
06-23-2010, 06:01 PM
Should he happen to join this forum, the moderators better make sure his handle is "Lefty", or worst case "Noble"

I read a similar story in a gun rag. in that case a small swiss army knife on a key ring slipped inside the trigger guard. When the keys were pulled out of the pocket...

No one hurt, and no one even realized what had happened until at home when a hole and an empty was noticed in the pocket.

Mumblypeg
06-23-2010, 10:05 PM
I would guess he was in the hardware dept.... looking for bolts and nuts. Well at least after the gun went off.

44fanatic
06-24-2010, 07:27 AM
I would guess he was in the hardware dept.... looking for bolts and nuts. Well at least after the gun went off.

[smilie=l:

Now if ol buddy were adjusting his pistola in his waistband, and either the gun were not on safe or did not have a safety, does anyone see the possibility that the corner of material where your fly comes together/buttons caught the trigger?

I can see the possibility this happening with a stiff enough material and light trigger pull.

SharpsShooter
06-24-2010, 08:30 AM
[smilie=l:

Now if ol buddy were adjusting his pistola in his waistband, and either the gun were not on safe or did not have a safety, does anyone see the possibility that the corner of material where your fly comes together/buttons caught the trigger?

I can see the possibility this happening with a stiff enough material and light trigger pull.

I can see that happening especially if it is a glock type trigger safety. I had a Glock 21 but could never get comfortable with waistband carry for fear of just what you describe. I'll stick to my 1911.

SS

cptinjeff
06-24-2010, 08:43 AM
I can see that happening especially if it is a glock type trigger safety. I had a Glock 21 but could never get comfortable with waistband carry for fear of just what you describe. I'll stick to my 1911.

SS

I'm pretty sure Plaxico Burress "used" a glock 27 to shoot himself (pocket carry no holster). It can happen and it cost this man a lot!

I am very comfortable with glocks....but I would never concelled carry any gun without a holster. Especially a glock.

Ed K
06-24-2010, 09:04 AM
If you have some time to kill the comments in the news thread are hilarious.

shooting on a shoestring
06-25-2010, 10:46 PM
I won't carry a striker fired pistol due to the possibilty of the striker slipping the sear. I think it happens more than people want to believe. This could be one of those cases.

Need more details.

crabo
06-25-2010, 11:02 PM
I've told this story here before, but back in college I had a friend put a cheap 25 auto in his pocket. It went off, went through his right leg, his middle leg, and stopped in his left leg. He wanted to show me the damage but I didn't want to look.

His girl friend had a mean streak, and would come in and get him worked up. The cathiter caused him quite a bit of pain. She thought it was funny.

DCP
06-27-2010, 10:41 AM
In the early 70s a Chief of Police in a small town in IL.
Accidentally Shot himself in the groin in the front seat of his police cruiser.
He didn't make it. He bleed to death.

It was a 1911 and he was carrying in his front waist ban.

This guy is lucky

steg
06-27-2010, 10:52 AM
I pocket carry, but I don't trust safties all that much, I just don't keep a round chambered..........steg

leftiye
06-27-2010, 04:03 PM
If you've got a 10" barrel, you can leave it sticking outta your fly. That way it'll only get you in the knee (maybe). :kidding:

Dale53
06-29-2010, 08:05 PM
>>>This guy is lucky <<<

Duh-h-h, I don't think so...:veryconfu:veryconfu

Dale53

DCP
06-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Duh-h-h

That's right Dale very lucky AND Duh-h-h
Gee whiz, just being shot is A LOT luckier than being shot and bleeding to death Duh-h-h
I would guess you never spent any time in combat.

If your going to make a post like this don't cut the whole story

In the early 70s a Chief of Police in a small town in IL.
Accidentally Shot himself in the groin in the front seat of his police cruiser.
He didn't make it. He bleed to death.

It was a 1911 and he was carrying in his front waist ban.

This guy is lucky

>>>This guy is lucky <<<

Duh-h-h, I don't think so...:veryconfu:veryconfu

Dale53

Dale53
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
dcp;
Just funnin' but lucky would be not being hit by the bullet. Losing ANY part of your equipment is NOT lucky.

However, I guess I subscribe a bit to the theory of natural evolution "improving the gene pool", too.

Dale53

DCP
06-29-2010, 08:51 PM
We are in total ageement

"However, I guess I subscribe a bit to the theory of natural evolution "improving the gene pool", too."

dcp;
Just funnin' but lucky would be not being hit by the bullet. Losing ANY part of your equipment is NOT lucky.

However, I guess I subscribe a bit to the theory of natural evolution "improving the gene pool", too.

Dale53

buckbeans
07-06-2010, 04:09 PM
One less gun "nut"

Heavy lead
07-06-2010, 04:41 PM
One less gun "nut"

OMG, now that's funny.

Hickory
07-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Not to sound callous, but it sounds to me like fate's way of keeping this poor guy from reproducing.
Just beacuse someone has the right to own a firearm, dosen't mean they should.

Maybe we should have a Darwin forum to put this kind of stuff.
Should fill up fast.