PDA

View Full Version : Mailbox Flag

hobbles
08-15-2006, 12:13 PM
I got tired of wonderin if/when the mailman was here, So, I have seen mail box flags on the net for $12, +, Then I thought,,, I could just make something to do the same thing, So I did, Now I don't have to walk up to the box or leave the door open to tell if the mail came, I know I'm being lazy, but it takes all my time,,,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/Mailbox1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/hobbles/mailbox2.jpg

Shepherd2
08-15-2006, 12:48 PM
We've had mailbox flag for 5 or 6 years and they are a wonderful thing especially if you live on a hill like we do. I think ours came from one of those gadget catalogs that come in the mail every so often. I've been looking for a spare to have on hand in case something happens to the old one. Don't want to be without one.

versifier
08-15-2006, 01:20 PM
I wish someone would come up with a mailbox design that wing-plow proof. To those of you who live in milder climates, a wing-plow is mounted on the (usually) right side of a plow-equipped dump truck with a sand/salt spreader in the bed. Set low, they create a wider swath of plowed road, and set higher, they trim back the snowbanks on the roadsides so there's somewhere to put the snow from the next storm. The problem is that this happens to be just at mailbox height. It is not uncommon for one's mailbox to vanish in January or February and be found after thaw in April a quarter mile or so down the road, often still attached to the post it was mounted on. Some mount them suspended from chains or with clever springy devices, there are even "impact proof" ones made out of rubber or memory plastic. None seem to be able to stand up to a season of wing-plow polo.
Me, I keep a PO Box. It avoids aggravation and there's a cute little hottie that works there. (Her boyfriend is a logger who doesn't bother with a jack to change tires on his pickup, but the view is still nice. :mrgreen: )

montana_charlie
08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
I wish someone would come up with a mailbox design that's wing-plow proof.
Our mailbox sits on one corner of an intersection where two of the roads leading away from it are dead ends. The main road turns at that point.
Our box sits on a 'rack' with three others, and it used to consist of two four-inch fence posts connected by a pair of two-by-fours.

The whole thing got taken out one day by the header of a custom cutter's combine as he tried to swing wide to make the turn.

Shortly before that happened, the power co-op had replaced a line of power poles, and the old ones were given to the landowners of the ground that each got pulled out of.

I had used mine, but still had two of those massive creosoted 'butts' left over.

It took some diggin' and packin' to get 'em set, but if anybody hits that new 'mailbox rack'...they are going to be fixing their equipment before they can cut wheat, or plow roads.
CM

David R
08-15-2006, 10:15 PM
A small bribe to the plow driver helps tremedously.

David

MT Gianni
08-16-2006, 12:07 AM
USPS does not deliver to our new digs and no one has hit the PO Box yet. Gianni.