PDA

View Full Version : 1874 Sharps To Buy or Not To Buy

giz189
06-22-2010, 01:32 AM
I am NEEDING an 1874 Sharps. Only problem I have is not enough cash on hand. But I have been considering getting out of the AR-15 business. As I have 2 AR's several 20 and 30 round magazines and around 7 - 8000 rounds of factory ammo, I feel like I could get there if I decide to sell out. My question is, "Should I Do It?" What do you guys think?:confused:

Andy Mac
06-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Owning and shooting a sharps is great,it's a whole hobby on it's own but i couldn't get rid of my other guns.In the UK we had a hand gun ban in 1997 and I still miss my semi auto's.I think you might miss your AR-15's if you have had them a long time.

NickSS
06-22-2010, 04:19 AM
If you sell one of your ARs and add a little cash you should be good to go and still have an AR.

Bad Ass Wallace
06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Had the same problem some years ago, whether to keep the mil surp's or buy a sharps. Danged near got as many Sharps as I used to have mil surps!

Buy one, you know you want to[smilie=s:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture001-2.jpg

Hip's Ax
06-22-2010, 07:24 AM
If it were me I would just save up for the Sharps. Any time I ever sold anything off I wound up regretting it.

In my experience the taste is even sweeter once the desired rifle is purchased.

I saved for 4 years for one rifle in particular and every time I see it I get goose bumps. :bigsmyl2:

Freightman
06-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Put the down payment down and figure what the remaining 24 months will be in monthly payments and put it into an account, then when they (Shiloh) says your rifle is ready you will have the money.

LIMPINGJ
06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll second what Freightman said. That is if you are ordering one.

Freightman
06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
PS then go get it makes a fine vacation!

RMulhern
06-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Put a smile on your local bankers' face!!

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
I own black rifles for when and if the SHTF, I myself would not sell them this day and age and I would keep building on the ammo supply. I would wait and save the money for the sharps I think a person could regret selling the black rifles and the ammo you might just want them. just my 2 cents
Charlie

Mumblypeg
06-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Yea, you might just want to hang on to at least one of those AR's... I've got four.

GeneT
06-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I shoot my AR's a lot more than my (only) Sharps. That said, I love them both and wouldn't be without either by choice. I'd suggest some savings and patience...

GsT

giz189
06-22-2010, 10:56 PM
Decisions Decisions Decisions....and to think I sold my Browning 1895 Hi Wall in 45-70 to buy one of my AR's.

RMulhern
06-22-2010, 11:42 PM
I don't own ARs!! I have four Brown rifles....two NM M1 Garands and two NM M14s...if the SHTF!! If I shoot something....I want it to STAY SHOT!!

Yellowhouse
06-22-2010, 11:46 PM
Dump one of the AR's while the gettins good. You'll have enough cash to buy a good used Pedersoli or make a great deal of headway toward a basic Shiloh. Everyone needs a standoff rifle!

If I regretted getting rid of every gun I've ever let loose I'd be in the looney bin!:confused:[smilie=w::violin: So go for it!

GeneT
06-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I don't own ARs!! I have four Brown rifles....two NM M1 Garands and two NM M14s...if the SHTF!! If I shoot something....I want it to STAY SHOT!!

While I own AR's it's good to see that some people still have their priorities straight. The AR is NOT a battle rifle - it's a target / varmint gun...

GsT

cajun shooter
06-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I always get a grin on my face when people ask this question. They want to blame everyone else if it goes sour for them. Not a person here including myself can say what you might enjoy the most. They are basing their answer on how they would feel. You might sell your AR's and never look back and get on the wire every day talking about the 1874 or you might shoot it 5 times and say this is not for me. Being a former military man who served during Vietnam and also a former police officer for 15 years people forget about something when the SHTF. During WW11 we dropped thousands of stamped metal single shot 45 ACP's pistols with 5 rounds in the handle. These were not meant as basic fighting weapons. They were meant to use once on a German soldier and take his gun and ammo. If I only had my 1874 Sharps and had to go into combat I would not feel the least bit out gunned. There are plenty of weapons that I could get with my one shot. By the way I sold one of my AR's to buy it. I no longer have any. Later David

Kenny Wasserburger
06-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I have AR's M-1's and M1A's, and 5 Shilohs, I plan on keeping them all. Just use my Bonus or save up for the next one. I quit chewing many years ago. Hell I know guys that spend 2 shilohs a year on smoking??? yet whine that they can not aford a shiloh????

KW
Dast Lunger

runnin lead
06-23-2010, 01:17 PM
You don't want one , it would be too much fun.

giz189
06-23-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't own ARs!! I have four Brown rifles....two NM M1 Garands and two NM M14s...if the SHTF!! If I shoot something....I want it to STAY SHOT!! RMulhern, I happen to have 1 Garand and 1 M1A so I might still be covered there too.

Freightman
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I During WW11 we dropped thousands of stamped metal single shot 45 ACP's pistols with 5 rounds in the handle. These were not meant as basic fighting weapons. They were meant to use once on a German soldier and take his gun and ammo. If I only had my 1874 Sharps and had to go into combat I would not feel the least bit out gunned. There are plenty of weapons that I could get with my one shot. By the way I sold one of my AR's to buy it. I no longer have any. Later David
Good point, if you shoot someone with a 500g LFP boolit you are not going to ask where you hit him I bet.

docone31
06-23-2010, 03:43 PM
I coveted, lusted after, stayed awake at night, for a real Sharps.
I got one.
It did not fit right no matter what I did.
A rolly block fit me like a glove, I have Mausers now.
That Sharps was the most beautiful rifle I had ever seen. The detail was amazing. The fit was miserable.
I am a Lefty, and real long and gangly.
Rugers #1, Rolly block, Hawken Wannabes great. The Sharps never fit, not the Sharps fault either. It was just the way it was.

bob208
06-23-2010, 05:15 PM
selling a firearm after you own it, is a idea totaly out of my thought process.

Freightman
06-28-2010, 09:56 AM
I coveted, lusted after, stayed awake at night, for a real Sharps.
I got one.
It did not fit right no matter what I did.
A rolly block fit me like a glove, I have Mausers now.
That Sharps was the most beautiful rifle I had ever seen. The detail was amazing. The fit was miserable.
I am a Lefty, and real long and gangly.
Rugers #1, Rolly block, Hawken Wannabes great. The Sharps never fit, not the Sharps fault either. It was just the way it was.
I agree that my RB is far and away a better fit for hunting and general shooting, but I have a Shiloh long range express big heavy accurate and some times unhandy but it isn't going anywhere it is paid for. I have found out something in my 71 years selling stuff that is already paid for to get something else seldom works and brings regrets most of the time.

yarro
06-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Unless it had something wrong with it, most of the guns I have sold I ended up buying another one since I later missed it. I have a Pedersoli that I bought used, and it shoots plenty good enough to kill deer at the 200 yard max where I hunt. If I was going to compete at 1000yards, I would buy a Shiloh, but I don't. If I had a lot of money, I would buy a Shiloh. Would like to get a second Sharps to put a Malcom scope on, but haven't come across the right deal yet. Of course, my percusion Sharps woudl feel put out, and I would have to buy a second and scope it then too.

I have three Rolling Blocks right now so they are leading 3-2. I think that they actually better as an all around gun. Saving is good. I saved up for three years to buy my first gun that wasn't a gift. It was a 1911, and it was worth it. I value that gun a lot due to the sacrifice it took to get it.

-yarro

Lead pot
06-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Over the last 56 years it has been like a sine wave with me as far as the shooting sports.
It started with a .22 rifle than a roller in .43 Spanish.
I traded and sold many fine old original black powder rifles for modern rifles and hand guns.
I most always regretted selling the black powder cartridge rifles and the front stuffers but when I sold my M-1's NM and M1-A's NM rifles and the SP-1 and the flat top to this day I have not missed them.

RMulhern
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
In my opinion the AR is the biggest *** that ever came down the pike to be called a Service Rifle!! But it makes a fairly good 'turtle gun'!!

Jbar4Ranch
07-03-2010, 01:36 AM
During WW11 we dropped thousands of stamped metal single shot 45 ACP's pistols with 5 rounds in the handle. These were not meant as basic fighting weapons. They were meant to use once on a German soldier and take his gun and ammo.

There is absolutely no evidence that we dropped ANY Liberators in Europe, and they held ten rounds of FA42 head stamped .45 acp in the grip, not five. (I've got two of them) We did, however, dump thousands of them in the ocean, along with hundreds of tons of other unwanted surplus war materiel.