PDA

View Full Version : New FP .45 Mold; Is This Load Safe?

Josh Smith
06-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Hello,

I bought a new mold for my .45acp and I was able to get some casting done today.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/reloading/874271fa.jpg

I figure on driving this anywhere from 850 to 900fps and using it as a woods load.

However...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/WabashShootist/Guns/reloading/ace9d6e0.jpg

Though it's supposed to be a 230gn bullet, it these bullets, cast from wheel weights and reclaimed lead from my range, weigh in at anywhere from ~235gn to ~240gn, but average out at ~238gn.

My preferred powder of the moment is Accurate Arms #2. It drives 230gn LRN very nicely with a charge of 5.6gn.

The seated depth of these loads will be the same as the LRN: The bullet will be seated about .31" into the case.

These are all hard bullets (why, I'm not sure; just wheel weight stuff) and it takes a bit more of a charge to keep the leading out.

If I use my Lee auto disk thrower, I have a choice of 5.0 or 5.6gn. I will go to the 5.0gn loading, but only if I have to because of the leading issue and the fact that I'm attempting to duplicate a Jeff Cooper load as closely as possible using cast boolits.

So, in your opinion, would a 240gn bullet over 5.6gn AA#2 fired by a Winchester LPP be a dangerous load? I do not think so. I think it would be warmish, but not dangerous.

I'm still consulting my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, but it has no Accurate Arms information in it.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you,

Josh

Cherokee
06-21-2010, 08:40 PM
My AA manual says 5.2 AA#2 max for a 250 cast SWC, 4.7 start. Sounds like 5 gr would be OK, but that is up to you. IMHO 5.6 would be over max for 240 gr bullet in 45 ACP.

35remington
06-21-2010, 08:52 PM
Well, the 8 grain increase in weight isn't of any huge significance; it's more important that the data for the load you're using take into account the exact bullet's seating depth and bearing length as it affects pressure.

FWIW, I have the same bullet. Using it at an overall length of 1.220", I get perhaps 20 fps more velocity with the same powder charge than the Lee 230-2R due to fractionally deeper seating.

I'd start with your planned 5.0 grain load and trot out the chronograph to see where you're at. If the velocity's in the range of what you desired I'd call it good.

Excellent bullet, by the way. Good general purpose bullet for the 45 ACP.

A 250 SWC may be an apples to oranges comparison as many of them seat very deeply in the case and require a considerably reduction in the powder charge. Your current plans sound prudent for this truncated cone shaped bullet.

I wouldn't get too upset over the eight grain weight difference. You've allowed for it with the slight load reduction, and knowing the actual velocity produced will tell you whether the powder charge is right or not.

850 is doable without high pressures with this bullet. It will still be in the standard pressure range at such a speed.

MT Gianni
06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Get the micro adjustable adaptor for your lee disc kit.