PDA

View Full Version : Made jump to rifle boolit casting today!

Three44s
06-21-2010, 12:39 AM
I have been casting for revolvers for quite a while .......

But I made the jump to rifle boolits ........ today!

Cast up some .338's in a new Lee mold to be used in a .338-06

A member of this forum was gracious enough to send me a bunch of his boolits of the same flavor (in addition to some from an RCBS mold that's been discountinued) as well as a bunch of gas checks.

My rifle liked those Lee's and I snagged that same mold from Midway and just ordered 2K checks from Midsouth (.338 checks take some searching sometimes).

Rifle boolit flipin' here we come!!!

[smilie=w:

Three 44s

RobS
06-21-2010, 01:21 AM
Very cool................glad that you are enjoying the new addition to your casting endeavors. Keep us up on how they shoot for you.

Three44s
06-21-2010, 01:29 AM
If my cast boolits don't shoot with the ones that a gracious member sent me .......

....... I'm going to be .......... vwery quiet about it! ........ LOL!!

Regards

Three 44s

ghh3rd
06-22-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm looking forward to getting into casting/loading rifle boolits someday. I'm glad that I started off with handgun boolits, as there is so much to learn about them, and even more when it comes to those for a rifle.

Three44s
06-22-2010, 01:35 AM
ghh3rd,

Don't limit yourself by avoiding the rifle casting. I probably stuck with just revolver casting longer than I should have so I should "talk".

Looking back, I'd say that the thought of leading a long gun and a long laborious cleaning job probably gave me the excuse to just cast for handguns (easier to de-lead).

I can tell you from recent experience that when members tell you to clean the your old J-word fouling out, heed that advice. I got in a hurry and fired one boolit ....... after all, What could just one hurt?

Lots more work ...... that's all! LOL!!

That experience "built character" however and now my rifle is on it's way to being a "boolit" shooter.

Three 44s