PDA

View Full Version : Special order 6.5 Swed ??????

leadhead
08-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey Guys,
Was wondering if the new 6.5 swed bullet would work in the
6.5 Carcano? Read somewhere here I think that the carcano
has a bore dia. of .268 So, would this work, or is the weight
to heavy?
Thanks for any replies,
Denny

swheeler
08-15-2006, 11:58 PM
LH; no idea yet, but I just got done slugging my Carcano, .269 groove and a terrible long throat, I won't be abvle to reach the rifling with this bullet. Probably be a couple weeks before I get to try anything in it, my mold casts .269/.270 depending on the alloy, so I will seat a GC and try some as cast.

Buckshot
08-16-2006, 02:48 AM
................If you mean the 6.5 Kurtz 6 cavity deal (135gr), it will work in a Carcano. It drops from the cavities with harder alloy (at least mine, so I assume they all will) at .270+".

My copy of the Oldfeller Cruise missle @ 172grs (Now only special order form Mid-South) also drops around .270".

Both these shot well from a M91 Moschetto TS carbine.

http://www.fototime.com/53D2620532682B9/standard.jpg

...............Buckshot

Oldfeller
08-16-2006, 06:25 AM
The trick we developed with the shorter Kurtz that allowed it to shoot well in large long throats was to just lube it and let the throat size the first few bands upon loading. The bullet and the necks were long enough to slide the bullet in and out of the case neck to suit the individual rifle's throat condition on loading with the bullet basically unsized but lubed. (you gotta customize your sizing die to do this, lapping out sizing dies and and your bullet seating dies is REQUIRED for working in the 6.5 caliber).

By sizing to the throat, you get your good initial alignment on loading the case, the bullet moves forward upon firing into a 100% supported condition in the throat before it ever feels the rifling. IT GETS CUSTOM EXTRUDED IN THE THROAT to be a perfect mate to your rifling. Nice slow powders do this part the best.

Now shoot it between 14,000 and 16,500 fps and nice things happen at the target.

Go faster than 20,000 fps and the swishing whip magic begins to happen .... you'd have to make up a good Italian name for a real cute all dressed in red leather short small statured dominatrix vixen (armed with a whip).

Buckshot used the long bullets differently sometimes, he sized to the bore plus a bit and seated the bullet way way out to get to the origin of the rifling. He got good results with longer bullets that way. Shorted bullets have to run off the throat walls as they can't reach the rifling, so they have to be bigger in diameter.

Oldfeller

45 2.1
08-16-2006, 07:08 AM
The trick we developed with the shorter Kurtz that allowed it to shoot well in large long throats was to just lube it and let the throat size the first few bands upon loading. The bullet and the necks were long enough to slide the bullet in and out of the case neck to suit the individual rifle's throat condition on loading with the bullet basically unsized but lubed. (you gotta customize your sizing die to do this, lapping out sizing dies and and your bullet seating dies is REQUIRED for working in the 6.5 caliber).

By sizing to the throat, you get your good initial alignment on loading the case, the bullet moves forward upon firing into a 100% supported condition in the throat before it ever feels the rifling. IT GETS CUSTOM EXTRUDED IN THE THROAT to be a perfect mate to your rifling. Nice slow powders do this part the best.

Now shoot it between 14,000 and 16,500 fps and nice things happen at the target.

Go faster than 20,000 fps and the swishing whip magic begins to happen .... you'd have to make up a good Italian name for a real cute all dressed in red leather short small statured dominatrix vixen (armed with a whip).

Buckshot used the long bullets differently sometimes, he sized to the bore plus a bit and seated the bullet way way out to get to the origin of the rifling. He got good results with longer bullets that way. Shorted bullets have to run off the throat walls as they can't reach the rifling, so they have to be bigger in diameter.

Oldfeller

Gadds, he is still doing it. Just look at those velocities will ya.

BABore
08-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Where can I get me one of them 6.5mm rail guns.:)

Larry Gibson
08-16-2006, 01:34 PM
Where can I get me one of them 6.5mm rail guns.:)

It is no wonder the italians dropped them rifles instead of shooting them! Wow, the recoil must have been horrific.......LOLs at Oldfellers expense.

Larry Gibson

StarMetal
08-16-2006, 01:48 PM
The recoil was horrific, but the muzzle flash would blind the shooter temperaryly, and burn the eyebrows off troops over 50 yards away. :Fire:

Joe

swheeler
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Dang OF, slow down a bit, your'e going way too fast!

Oldfeller
08-16-2006, 06:03 PM
reminder to self -- more coffee and less zeros

Buckshot
08-16-2006, 11:42 PM
http://www.fototime.com/B55472729A707A9/standard.jpg

The 135gr 6.5mm Kurtz on the left. The OF Cruise Missle on the right. At the OAL shown. both boolits are engraved in my M96. The throat on my M96 is .268" and sizing to that diameter at the shown OAL will allow extracting. The boolits show a bit of 'wipping' from the throat.

...............Buckshot

mosin9130
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
"The recoil was horrific, but the muzzle flash would blind the shooter temperaryly, and burn the eyebrows off troops over 50 yards away"

Yes, I was told that same tale and believed it untill I start to shoot my Carcano rifles an carbines. The recoil is much more mild than a standard 30/06 in my 1903 Springfield (that isn't "horrific") and, believe it or no, with the right bullet my M41 Carcano is second in accuracy only to M28/30 Mosin.