PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Ammo via Fed-Ex

deltaenterprizes
06-20-2010, 07:52 PM
Is Fed-EX stupid about loaded ammo like UPS ? Can ammo be shipped through a shipping center?

NSP64
06-20-2010, 07:55 PM
Sorry, I have only used UPS and never had an issue.

Tom-ADC
06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Fedex gave me a hard time about shipping ammo but UPS was a breeze just have to have an ORM-D label think thats right, no special handling charges or hassle.
Labels can be printed here: http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/topic/19328/t/ORM-D-Labels-for-Shipping-Ammo.html

anachronism
06-20-2010, 08:59 PM
I've shipped a lot of ammo. UPS handled everything perfectly, without a hassle. ORM-D & adult signature.

44fanatic
06-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Shipped out ammo 3 times by UPS, black sharpie on the side of the box "ORM-D", no problems or hassels.

JIMinPHX
06-21-2010, 04:33 AM
I've received ammo via UPS & FedEx from ammo retailers. I've sent defective ammo back to Winchester after they sent me a call tag. That when UPS with an ORM-D label. My local UPS barn accepted it with little hassle.

Adam10mm
06-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Never had issues with FedEx or UPS.

sleeper1428
06-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Sent 1K reloads to my son via FedEx less than a month ago. Only three basic requirements for shipping. First is, of course, the ORM-D labels while the second was that I could not bring the box in to the local FedEx shipping office but had to call for home pick-up of the package. No real problem there since it was fairly simple to arrange home pick-up of the box via the Internet and as others have pointed out, the labels can be downloaded from any number of sites. The third and last requirement was that an adult had to sign for the box at the delivery point. No really difficult hoops to jump through but you should be aware of the fact that in order to set up the home pick-up of your package/box you will be required to set up a no-cost account with FedEx. That takes just a couple of minutes and after that all you do is put in your account number and schedule a home pick-up time. The home pick-up will go smoother if you weigh and measure the package/box before hand and have this information ready for the FedEx driver when he/she comes to pick-up the package/box.

Note - the above information is for ground shipping only! If you want to send ammo via air carrier, you'll be filling out forms for a week before you get anywhere near sending the ammo!! Courtesy of our radical jihadists who have pretty well made flying, either personal or freight, a real nightmare!!

Haven't tried UPS but I'd suspect that they have pretty much the same set of basic requirements.

sleeper1428

Adam10mm
06-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Adult signature is not a requirement for either FedEx or UPS.

StarMetal
06-21-2010, 03:03 PM
From Fedex's website:

Signature Releases (http://fedex.com/us/services/terms/#app39)

Shipments with a declared value of less than US$500 may be delivered and released without obtaining a signature when the sender has authorized a release or, at our sole option, upon oral or written instruction from the sender or recipient. A shipment may also be released without a signature if the recipient has provided authorization by signing the Release Delivery Authorization and Indemnification Agreement for Recipients (obtained through your local FedEx World Service Center or your FedEx account executive). We may authorize shipments released without signature to those with accounts in good credit standing and to those who otherwise have established a satisfactory payment history. We also reserve the right to release packages at residential delivery locations without obtaining a signature, provided that none of the restrictions below apply.
At our sole discretion, some shipments may not be released without a delivery signature even when release is authorized, including, but not limited to:

Bill-recipient shipments when the recipient's FedEx account is not in good credit standing or is not indicated on the airbill.
Damaged shipments.
Dangerous goods shipments, except those with dry ice as the only dangerous goods in the shipment.
Firearms.
C.O.D. shipments.
Indirect deliveries.
Shipments billed to an invalid or missing credit card number.
Alcohol or tobacco shipments.
One or more packages in a multiple-piece shipment if all packages cannot be safely released.
The delivery location or circumstances are unsuitable for release without signature as determined at our sole discretion.

At our sole discretion, shipments having a declared value of US$500 or greater may not be released without a signature even where the release is otherwise authorized.
Choosing one of the FedEx Delivery Signature Options will override a signature release.

Ammunition falls under dangerous goods and firearms.

Adam10mm
06-21-2010, 03:10 PM
Right, and if you reread my post, it says "requirement". Nothing in the FedEx policy that you have posted states it is a specific requirement as in "you must do this". It is not a mandate, ie not a requirement. Like I said.

StarMetal
06-21-2010, 03:13 PM
Number 2 says at their sole discretion. That means if they want it that's the way it is going to be. They also said on their website that all the outlets aren't the same. You were just fortunate where you live that your Fedex didn't require it. Have you shipped through all Fedex outlets throughout the entire U.S.?

Adam10mm
06-21-2010, 03:26 PM
If they have discretion, then it's not a mandate.

S.R.Custom
06-21-2010, 05:04 PM
If they have discretion, then it's not a mandate.

Indeed.

What I've gotten from from reading and participating in these shipping/banking/licensing posts over the past year or so is that nobody's experience is the same as anyone else's; these shippers/banks/regulating entities are so damned big and convoluted with regulations --internal and otherwise-- that nobody within really knows what the hell is going on.

To wit: Even though we are a licensed MFR, FedEx absolutely will not pick up or ship any ammunition from us until we get certified as a HazMat shipper, and that was told to me directly by the honcho of HazMat shipping at FedEx.

UPS requires the same thing, but "our current policy is not to verify the certification status of the shipper if the labeling on the package is correct." Again, straight from the mouth of their Hazardous Materials director.

While we can sit here and argue regulations and/or what works until we're blue in the face, the truth of the matter is "it depends."

So for that reason, I'll refrain from participating in any such discussions in the future, as my experience will most certainly be in direct contradiction to someone else's, and arguing about it just wastes everyone's time.

StarMetal
06-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Indeed.

What I've gotten from from reading and participating in these shipping/banking/licensing posts over the past year or so is that nobody's experience is the same as anyone else's; these shippers/banks/regulating entities are so damned big and convoluted with regulations --internal and otherwise-- that nobody within really knows what the hell is going on.

To wit: Even though we are a licensed MFR, FedEx absolutely will not pick up or ship any ammunition from us until we get certified as a HazMat shipper, and that was told to me directly by the honcho of HazMat shipping at FedEx.

UPS requires the same thing, but "our current policy is not to verify the certification status of the shipper if the labeling on the package is correct." Again, straight from the mouth of their Hazardous Materials director.

While we can sit here and argue regulations and/or what works until we're blue in the face, the truth of the matter is "it depends."

So for that reason, I'll refrain from participating in any such discussions in the future, as my experience will most certainly be in direct contradiction to someone else's, and arguing about it just wastes everyone's time.

Right on...and that's what "at their discretion"means.."depends".

Eagles6
06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
I guess it's up to the local franchises.<p>
Around here UPS absolutely refuses to ship loaded ammo. One time they did and the manager lady told me to just say it was "parts" next time.
The local Fedex doesn't have a problem and when I called their 800 number they said just make sure there is nothing on the outside of the package denoting that ammo is enclosed.

Adam10mm
06-29-2010, 12:54 AM
This is what happens with large corporations and its bureaucracy. One hand doesn't know what the other does.