PDA

View Full Version : hollow point mold ?

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Boollits sticking to hollow point pin,s, I have candled them and it helped on 1 or 2 cast and then right back to sticking any suggestions and input would be gladly accepted.

Thanks Charlie

26Charlie
06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Moulds seem to differ on this. I try to have the moulds and pin up to temp, even dipping the pin in the lead to heat it if necessary. I pull the pin right after cutting the sprue. Then open the mould and drop the bullets. Pin requires a certain amount of taper and smooth surface.

Blammer
06-19-2010, 09:48 PM
I pour boolit, twist HP pin, and pull out a bit, cut sprue, dump boolits, reset pin upon closing mould.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-19-2010, 09:54 PM
this is one of mp mold the pins stay in the mold

Charlie

parrott1969
06-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Ruger1965 I think the problem is that you are running your mold too cold. I run my pot at max setting with the mold setting on top until everything is well melted, then remove to flux, set the mold back into the lead for a couple of minutes and then start casting. After a couple of drops I cut it back to 9 everything drops like butter. I forgot to mention that I smoke the snot out fo it with wood matches before I start.

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-19-2010, 10:13 PM
parrott about what temp do you think that might be I cast over propane burner

thanks Charlie

bigboredad
06-19-2010, 10:16 PM
parrot
Today is the first time I've used a miha mold and a hollow point mold so I learned a lot by trial. What worked best for me was to have the lad as hot as possible and keep your mold as hot as possible and they slid right off when I tried slowing down or lowering the temp on the lead the boolits would stick to the pins. Hope this helps

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-19-2010, 10:20 PM
Guess I need to crank up the heat and try that and I might be a little slow casting this is my first hp mold

Thanks Charlie

bigboredad
06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
yeah I was pretty slow and careful with everything sliding in and out and being new to hollow points myself. However I hear you can cast quite speedy with this

damron g
06-19-2010, 11:35 PM
Erik at hollowpoint mold service has reworked a few of the "MIHI" molds for people.There are a few small problems he fixes and once tuned up they work much better.

The two cavity 22 HP he did for me with his new "inset bar" and extractor link is the fastest two cavity i have ever used HP or otherwise.

George

outdoorfan
06-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Erik at hollowpoint mold service has reworked a few of the "MIHI" molds for people.There are a few small problems he fixes and once tuned up they work much better.

The two cavity 22 HP he did for me with his new "inset bar" and extractor link is the fastest two cavity i have ever used HP or otherwise.

George

Is this a cramer conversion? If so, which mold is it?

waksupi
06-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Deacon, they pretty much have it. You need mucho heat. If you can't get it working, you may need to make a road trip down here for a session!

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-20-2010, 07:59 AM
I am going to try it again today with more heat and try to speed things up alittle see if that helps. if not might be making that road trip

Thanks for the help
Charlie

damron g
06-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Is this a cramer conversion? If so, which mold is it?

yes its a Cramer with his inset bar conversion.Mold is an rcbs 55fn.

see examples below

George

Edubya
06-20-2010, 04:12 PM

George

George, you have obviously not been introduced to the MiHec HP mould. I don't believe that Erik has had to work over any of them.

EW

Dennis Eugene
06-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Wow! That Cramer conversion with the inset bar and extractor link is sharp looking. What a great Idea, I bet that baby works slick, man oh man I want one. Any chance of getting a video of it in action, I'd love to see it work. What does it cost to have one converted like that? Inquiring minds want to know. Dennis

damron g
06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
George, you have obviously not been introduced to the MiHec HP mould. I don't believe that Erik has had to work over any of them.

EW

yes he has.He just doesn't advertise it.

George

damron g
06-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Wow! That Cramer conversion with the inset bar and extractor link is sharp looking. What a great Idea, I bet that baby works slick, man oh man I want one. Any chance of getting a video of it in action, I'd love to see it work. What does it cost to have one converted like that? Inquiring minds want to know. Dennis

About $120,and worth it.Don,t have a way to video it,but I'll try.

George

Charlie, AKA The Deacon
06-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Got things fired up and going yesterday, turned up the heat a little and done a couple other things different and turned out some nice Boolits. thanks for the help and advice.:drinks:

Charlie

Dennis Eugene
06-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Ruger glad to hear you got her straighted out and running. Damron,Thanks for the quick reply and info. Dennis