PDA

View Full Version : Rifle scabbards for saddles?

2ndAmendmentNut
06-19-2010, 07:44 PM
My apologies if this is in the wrong place.

For those of you that carry a rifle while on horseback; what do you like and why? (Pictures would be most appreciated)

I ride a lot and would like to try hunting in areas where I can really only get to (and out of) on horseback.

I have tried a few designs with poor luck. One hung the rifle almost straight down from the rear of the saddle, it flapped and the weight of the rifle actually cocked the saddle sideways. Another design went under my leg and was very uncomfortable. Have you all got any ideas? Maybe something that straps across the pommel?

The rifles I would consider using would all have barrels no longer then 24” and most likely be scopeless, however I would like to see some scoped scabbard ideas also.

Thanks for any input.

Bret4207
06-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I know the ones that go under your leg stink.

waksupi
06-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Kind of depends on your use. If you are riding in the flatlands, most anything you like will work.
I like under the leg, with the rifle on the left side of the horse, butt forward. The stirrup leather must be let out, to ride properly. Trying to carry one butt to the rear, lots of them get slicked out of the scabbard on brush, and you will find yourself back tracking looking for your rifle. Carried on the right side butt forward, you need to go around your horse to get the rifle out. No good. Trying to carry across the pommels may be ok if you are riding the prairie, but I found it was in the way.
If you are covering 25-30 miles a day in the mountains on horseback, you will be hurting, anyway, so may as well carry it where you know where it is when you need it!

Buckshot
06-20-2010, 03:31 AM
...............I made my own rifle scabbard to carry my scoped Ruger 30-'06 after looking at several designs. It rode butt rearward and under my right leg. I'll have to take a picture of it. I dropped my old camera and a new one is on the way. The butt is exposed and the flap goes down behind the scope and bolt handle to snap to the scabbard.

The end of the flap with the snap was just under the stirrup fender, just aft of and slightly above your knee. With the flap behind the scope and bolt handle, and with the sirrup fender plus your leg right there, the rifle won't get pulled out by brush or anything else either. You want the muzzle end to be at or just above the animal's elbow so if you come to a good stepdown it isn't going to plow into the ground. Rigged this way (right side, butt aft) you may also dismount with your rifle.

................Buckshot

scrapcan
06-21-2010, 11:47 AM
It also depends on the type of rifle you will be carrying in it. I have three types. one is verticle and mounts just ahead of the stirrup leather on the right side for the 30-30 carbine. It is very easy to grab on the dismount. it does hang up a bit in timber, but you as the rider will also be getting the timber marks if you are in that tight of spots.

Second is an under the leg that can be used on right or left side. I like facing back when in in timber or brush as it prevents hangups. It is a bit more prone to stock scratching though as it is not a full flap. It has a quick release strap that goes through a type of fixed d placed behind the bolt handle slot in the scabbard. it is easy to manipulate on either side.

And third is one with an almost full flap that is used on the left side under leg with bust stock to rear. When you dismount you are in the proper position to open the flap and pull rifle out.

Generally it has been my experience that one uses the scabbard to get into the country you are wanting to hunt and then hunt on foot. You can then use the horse to pack out. But I have had many horses that just had to see what you were going to shoot at and would want to be right there with you, where you are standing, some didn't even mind the shot going off. It was and is easier for me to not have them trying to sight the rifle for me.

2ndAmendmentNut
06-22-2010, 08:04 AM
But I have had many horses that just had to see what you were going to shoot at and would want to be right there with you, where you are standing, some didn't even mind the shot going off. It was and is easier for me to not have them trying to sight the rifle for me.

That is exactly the way my little appaloosa is (14 and 1/2 hands for the horse people), he just has to see what I am doing, and he hardly bats an eye to the “BOOM!”

The rifles I will be using most likely will be scopeless Marlins in 30-30 or similar calibers.

I suppose I should also mention that I prefer to ride in my German made Courbette dressage saddle, I used to have a number of high end Western saddles but they killed my knees and lower back, a simple switch of saddles made all the difference. However the lack of a horn should make things interesting when it comes to attaching a rifle scabbard.:grin:

scrapcan
06-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Not a problem with the flat saddle. Most will have numerous places to attach straps. I also like to ride the all purppose and the dressage Stubbens that we have. It is nice to just toss that light small package up there and go to it. Not much for packing though.

You might look up the rifle boot concept that was used with the McClellan saddles.
Here is some info on McClellans I think there is a picture of the rifle boots, really just a small tube that the rifle went into when it was attached to the rifle should sling and sling hook. You might be able to fashion a small boot to go on the flat saddle.

http://www.militaryhorse.org/studies/mcclellan/

also you will have to decide if you want the toe of the butt stock up or down if using under your leg. I prefer toe down as then it slides out and is ready from either a vertical or a buttstock back configuration. You will see a lot of scabbards that have the straps on and then the toe is tipped up, these are more than likely meant to be used in the vertical position just ahead of the riders right leg. then you can grasp the rfle as you dismount and it is ready to come up when you hit the ground.

And one more idea would be to look at the australian stock saddles and how they carried a long gun. I have not idea but I bet some of our brethern can help out.

scrapcan
06-22-2010, 11:38 AM
here is a picture of the australian light horse scabbard with what looks like a SMLE on board.

http://www.lighthorse.org.au/resources/manual-for-dress-equip-and-conduct/manual-for-dress-equip-and-conduct-8.-pictorial-saddlery-and-equipment#rifle

Bret4207
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
We have a Indian/Paki made Australian knock off. I tell ya, it's a great saddle. My knees love that saddle, so does my pelvic area. Put that on our little one eyed Arab and it feels like you're riding a bike compared to a western saddle. Lots of rings on an Aussie too.

skeettx
06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Hello
I use an old leather 412 Hunter scabbard, on the left side, with the butt to the rear and the sling taken off the butt of the rifle so a limb does not pull it out. Quick detachable swivels make that easy.
Rifle is carried scope down.
I do not use a hood.

Waksupi, this was taken in the Little Belt Mountains east of Great Falls in the early 1970s.
OLD picture when I was younger, and TALLER , with 16 1/2 hands pinto, with long army blanket for warmth, with scabbard.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/MVC-010S22.JPG

In this way the gun is protected and available as I dismount, rein in left hand and gun in right if speed is an issue

http://www.huntercompany.com/guncases.html

Mike

MtGun44
06-22-2010, 11:07 PM
I have spent long days with a bolt gun under my left leg, butt fwd scabbard. Boy that
does a number on your knee after riding literally from dawn to after dark in the Rockies.
We rode horses places I had no idea a horse could go, let alone horse with rider. In any case,
I now understand why a FLAT levergun was the favorite for saddle scabbards in the old
west. The width of a bolt gun under your leg twists the knee enough that at the end of
a long day it is painful.

Bill

2ndAmendmentNut
06-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys you all have been very helpful.

c3d4b2
06-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Here is a link to a very comfortable saddle. They do not spread your legs quite as much as western saddles and they are suspended so they are easier on body. The picture also shows how we carry the scabbard.

http://haggissaddles.com/

There are other brands, this was the first one I found. We have two of the trooper saddles and they are both great to ride though each one fits you a little different. If you are going up and down hills I would recommend one that has some height in front

waksupi
06-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Here is a link to a very comfortable saddle. They do not spread your legs quite as much as western saddles and they are suspended so they are easier on body. The picture also shows how we carry the scabbard.

http://haggissaddles.com/

There are other brands, this was the first one I found. We have two of the trooper saddles and they are both great to ride though each one fits you a little different. If you are going up and down hills I would recommend one that has some height in front

That is the kind of scabbard set up I found best to use in the mountains.
I'd have to try the saddle to form an opinion. I used a McClellan riding in the Wind River Range years ago, and it will never be my favorite mountain saddle. This must be the Canuck version?

waksupi
06-23-2010, 12:50 AM
Hello
I use an old leather 412 Hunter scabbard, on the left side, with the butt to the rear and the sling taken off the butt of the rifle so a limb does not pull it out. Quick detachable swivels make that easy.
Rifle is carried scope down.
I do not use a hood.

Waksupi, this was taken in the Little Belt Mountains east of Great Falls in the early 1970s.
OLD picture when I was younger, and TALLER , with 16 1/2 hands pinto, with long army blanket for warmth, with scabbard.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/MVC-010S22.JPG

In this way the gun is protected and available as I dismount, rein in left hand and gun in right if speed is an issue

http://www.huntercompany.com/guncases.html

Mike

Good memories. I like the Little Belts. Too darn many people around in hunting season now!

I have noticed I started liking shorter horses as years went by!

cajun shooter
06-25-2010, 09:24 AM
I have owned several different Quarter horses. I have also ridden in and around the Grand Canyon area, the Durango, CO. areas on horseback. That saddle appears to me to be too flat and level for any rough terrain type riding.I can see me trying to find something to get a grip on when my butt heads for the tail. I don't think that the mane in the withers would be long enough.