PDA

View Full Version : 170 gr. FP Hardcast NON gas-checked....in 8 x 57JS ?

lcg119
08-14-2006, 01:31 AM
I have found a really good deal on these bullets....so I am looking for a good load for them. I have read the thread about the "Yugo M48" (this is what I shoot also). I have a few questions....

1) Would a load of roughly 27 grains of IMR-4895 necessitate the use of filler, in order to be safe ?

2) How about 18-20 grains of 2400 ? Filler needed ?

3) How about Accurate 8700 ? Anybody try this low-density powder with cast loads ?

4) Obviously, with a NON gas-checked bullet, I will need to keep velocities quite low....which is fine by me....as long as I can get accuracy. Am I barking up the wrong tree ? The bullets in question, Hunter's Supply #0145517043, are said to be safe to push up to 1600 fps, without excessive leading. Brinel hardness is listed as 15. Is this reasonable to believe....or a bit of an exageration ? I am seeking only a relatively accurate, yet cheap target load....so I really don't care what the velocity will be. I am thinking that I will need to keep the velocity more in the 1200 fps range (or less), with a NON GC bullet. Any thoughts ?

5) I had thought about re-lubing the bullets, using something like Lee Alox, to further reduce the possibility of leading. The bullets are pre-lubed, but I thought that this might be a good idea. Does this make sense ?

I would appreciate any information you guys could provide. Thanks.

Buckshot
08-14-2006, 11:49 AM
..............One of the Burrito-isto's used some 32-40 slugs unsized at .323" in a 8x57 Turk with I think it was 10.0grs of Unique and it shot extremely well. If it wasn't 10grs it was maybe 12? I recall he shot some over my chrono and they were up about 1400 fps. This was sometime back, but I was impressed.

There was some pretty fancy shooting done with plain based boolits long before GC's and the alloy was comparatively soft too. Tumbling them in Lee LA might not be a bad idea, but I wouldn't do ALL of'em in case your rifle has an issue with the extra lube. If it works, then lube'em up!

8700 is pretty slow and a partial load wouldn't be worth spit. You'd have a barrel full of powder. If not Unique you mention 2400 and I'd try 14 grs to start and go from there. I generally do use a dacron filler with it, especially in my 38-55 (16.0grs / 2400).

..............Buckshot

Larry Gibson
08-14-2006, 01:26 PM
I have found a really good deal on these bullets....so I am looking for a good load for them. I have read the thread about the "Yugo M48" (this is what I shoot also). I have a few questions....

1) Would a load of roughly 27 grains of IMR-4895 necessitate the use of filler, in order to be safe ?

2) How about 18-20 grains of 2400 ? Filler needed ?

3) How about Accurate 8700 ? Anybody try this low-density powder with cast loads ?

4) Obviously, with a NON gas-checked bullet, I will need to keep velocities quite low....which is fine by me....as long as I can get accuracy. Am I barking up the wrong tree ? The bullets in question, Hunter's Supply #0145517043, are said to be safe to push up to 1600 fps, without excessive leading. Brinel hardness is listed as 15. Is this reasonable to believe....or a bit of an exageration ? I am seeking only a relatively accurate, yet cheap target load....so I really don't care what the velocity will be. I am thinking that I will need to keep the velocity more in the 1200 fps range (or less), with a NON GC bullet. Any thoughts ?

5) I had thought about re-lubing the bullets, using something like Lee Alox, to further reduce the possibility of leading. The bullets are pre-lubed, but I thought that this might be a good idea. Does this make sense ?

I would appreciate any information you guys could provide. Thanks.

I used to get 160 gr PB FP .325 bullets from Liberty Bullets (retired - out of business now) unsized and unlubed. Their lubed and sized ones (hard red wax lube) leaded like crazy of which many say "without excessive leading". I would run them through the .325 H die and lube them with Javelina or tumble lube with LLA. I pushed them to 1500 fps with Unique without leading and they shot about 2" at 50 yards with a M48 with Lyman aperture rear sight. However, I soon discovered a wonderful small game and plinking load that would shoot into one ragged hole of less than 1" at 50 yards all day long with zero leading. I used well fire formed cases with the flash holes drilled out with a #28 drill. The load is 6.5 gr of Bullseye for 1134 fps out of my M48. Noise is very low, accuracy is great and it thumps squirrels and rabbits like my .32 H&R magnum.

Larry Gibson

NickSS
08-14-2006, 01:59 PM
I have used Unigue for a loading for several rifles in the 30 to 45 caliber range and it works very well for plinking loads and small game loads. I use 15 gr in my 30-06 and get groups of under 2 inches at 100 yards using a plain base 169 gr bullet. I have also used a 200 gr custom LBT bullet that I originally bought for a 32- 40 rifle in an 8 MM 24/47 Yougo I have. I cast the bullets and sized in a 323 sizing die and loaded them over 12 gr of Unique. I got under 2.5" grpops at 100 yards with it.