PDA

View Full Version : Controling boolit size

DCP
06-19-2010, 05:02 PM
I need a .314 32 acp boolit

If using pure lead out of a .311 mould, what size should it be (about)

ww out of the same .311mold should be (about)

So how does WW or pure lead affect size

temp of ww lead is about 700 degrees

I am get anywhere between .312 to .315 with WW out of the same mold so I am doing something wrong.

They look good but all different sizes

SO how do I control boolit size consistantly

Thanks

RobS
06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Well no mold is guaranteed to be as stated unless you have yourself a custom mold maker as those individuals actually cast with such mold and have the exact measurements.

Here is a good read and if you scroll down to "Shrinkage - Bullet Diameter, Inches" etc you'll have some working knowledge to give yourself and educated guess.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

gray wolf
06-19-2010, 06:39 PM
You say that your bullets are dropping be-tween .312 and .315. So that tells us you can achieve what you want from your mold.
The thing to figure out is what is inducing the variable.
When a mold maker states the size of a mold it has been my understanding it is the size that the bullet can be sized to, not always what it should drop to. Some Lee molds, I believe the tumble lube molds may be advertised as the size they will drop.
But in order to do this the mold maker must choose an alloy made up of a know list of constituents, TO SAY--Lyman #2, hardball, 20-1, 30-1, or WW metal.
At that point he knows that under the correct heat conditions ( alloy Temperature ) and with a known alloy the bullets should drop a certain size.
The alloy mixture can influence the bullet size, It is my understanding that with an increase of antimony bullet size can grow, Increases of tin may also aid in the increase size but perhaps to a lesser degree. The mold temperature and alloy temperature will also have an effect on the bullet size as dropped from the mold.
So much for that--If you are using pure lead we can eliminate the alloy mixture from our little equation since pure lead is what it says or at least what it 's implying ( no other metals )
This would indicate to me that we should look at mold temperature and or metal temperature. You say you are casting at about 700*, I am thinking that is a little low for pure lead, not to say you can't melt lead at that temperature and cast with it.
But to maintain that Temp. in your pot and keep the mold at the exact correct Temp. may be a little difficult to achieve.
It sounds like you could work with the bullets that come out .315, they could be size to you desired .314-- If you are trying to shoot as cast and want to drop them at .314 you may have a hard time maintaining such a close tolerance in alloy Temp. and mold temp.
Why don't you try a little higher metal Temp. and a steady casting cadence and see if that stabilizes your dropped bullet size. You could always raise your metal temp. a little at a time.
You may also find that a little Tin in your mix may help you out, 2 % addition of tin would lower your melt/casting Temp. , and improve fill out.
In short I would raise my pot temperature a little and be watchful that you mold stays hot.
Sorry to be so long winded, but you did ask a for an answer to some multiple questions.
If any of my facts are off a little--stay tuned and I am sure someone will jump on me and offer more help.
??? Why the pure lead ?? and did your pistol bore perhaps slug to .311 0r .314 ??

DCP
06-19-2010, 08:25 PM
[ ??? Why the pure lead ?? and did your pistol bore perhaps slug to .311 0r .314 ??[/QUOTE]

OK

Thanks for all your answers.

wow what good info http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

For clarification

I am using a lee .311-100-2r mold 90301 with WW

I am making a reduced load for a 303 that slug at .313

So I need about .315

I have a 762 x 54r that slugs at .3125

I use the smaller ones and sized to .309 (no .310 sizer) and 2 grains of 700x for 800fps for 30-06

Will work also in 30 carbine or 308

44man
06-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Gray wolf, nobody is going to be able to jump on that! It is about the best I have read.