PDA

View Full Version : Heavy 375 Molds?

hansol
06-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting into casting for my 375 Taylor, as shooting jacketed is getting stupid-expensive. I already cast for my crazy shotgun loads, but casting for rifles is fairly new to me.

I'm looking for a mold that will throw 300 grain-or-heavier boolits, preferably with a wide meplat. Lyman makes a 335 grain roundnose that I am interested in, but it doesn't have a gas check. As I would like to get velocities between 2000-2200 fps, I'm assuming I need a gas check mold...?

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions or know where to look, I would certainly appreciate it. My rifle (fortunately) has a long throat/mag box, so longer bullets will work with my rig too. Best regards -Hansol

RobS
06-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Not quite 300 but BABore makes a really good 275 GC mold that is exceptionally accurate for my 375 H&H and another member here is trying them out in his 375 Ruger.

http://www.brp.castpics.net/R1.html

Another option is a custom mold maker such as MountainMolds or if NEI has cleaned up their molds by getting a new machinist then they have some good designs that would fit your bill.

Here is a nice article that has some description on those NEI molds if you go to the CastPics (bottom of the page here) and on the left look under the section "Articles by Members" then find the one titled "Cast in 375 H&H".

chasw
06-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I have an NEI 4-holer marked 375 290 GC for my Winchester M70 .375 H&H. It is one of NEI's DD designs (dual diameter) with a little ring up front to ride the bore and a small meplat. I got it back in the 1990s.

The driving bands come out of the mold at about .3775 using Lyman no 2 alloy. I size them to .376 with BAC lube. Weight is right at 300 grains with lube and gas check. Because of the DD ring, loaded cartridge OAL is 3.510" with the ring touching the lands.

I'm still developing my pet load, but I'm getting close at 36.5 gr of RL-7 with a .1 grain piece of dacron as filler. Velocity is right at 1700 fps. Zero leading. Next I'm trying 37.0 and 37.5 grains to find the sweetest spot, but so far its showing a tendency to group under an inch at 100 yds.

I can't imagine a company like NEI, with such a fine catalog of excellent boolit designs, would let problems with product quality persist for an extended period. Falling demand will eventually trigger a change of some kind. Do we have any reports from recent buyers? - CW