PDA

View Full Version : You guys saved me!

LET-CA
08-13-2006, 11:12 PM
I was smelting a large batch of lead I obtained from a gentlemen who has given up the hobby and discovered two live rounds of ammunition in with his wheel-weights. It's only becuase I've read about primers, etc. falling into the lead pot that I even looked at the stuff before throwing them into the pot. My thanks to all for sharing their experiences (both good and bad) because I figure you saved me from a rather nasty experience today.

steveb
08-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Glad those didnt end up in the melting pot on ya.

44woody
08-14-2006, 10:00 AM
just rember that live rounds,primers,bugs,and some dummy spitting in your pot can have the same effect on you which as you have figured out is not good for you it a good thing that you check for these things and be careful and have fun doing you hobby :castmine: 44Woody

Buckshot
08-14-2006, 10:53 AM
...............Ah gee, you missed out on having the tinsel fairy pay you a visit! A couple weeks ago I was casting up a few slugs and a part of a sprue fell outside the box into a little water spot from when I poured some more water onto the damp rag. I casually picked it up and tossed it into the pot :-) . It went 'POP' and a little lead spot appeared on my shirt and a few more on the underside of the garage door, which was open and over the pot a couple feet.

Don't take much!

................Buckshot

1Shirt
08-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Shows to go ya, if Buckshot can do it anybody can. Have serious doubt that there is anyone who has done any appreciable amount of casting that has not had one or two run ins with the lead tinsel fairy. Along this same line, is the casting on a hot day and not changing out of short pants into long pants leg burns. I cast in short sleeves in my garage on hot days, but have come to expect one or two(small I hope) more lead burn scars on my arms. Tried casting with gloves one time, but it was kinda like showering in a raincoat, and was definately clumbsy.
Another thing that will get your attention real quick is to add a cold ingot of lead that has been out in the cold (say freezing) to a molten pot. That rapid condensation from cold lead will guarantee a visit from the tinsel fairy. Learned that lesson early on, but had on a long sleeved flannel shirt and long underware top. Got a few drops on the lens of my glasses, and a few small specks on hands forehead and cheeks. Taint foolish to check what goes into the pot, and taint foolish to thing twice about any phase of casting befor turning on whatever you heat source is.
1Shirt:coffee: :coffee:

LET-CA
08-14-2006, 02:50 PM
...............Ah gee, you missed out on having the tinsel fairy pay you a visit! A couple weeks ago I was casting up a few slugs and a part of a sprue fell outside the box into a little water spot from when I poured some more water onto the damp rag. I casually picked it up and tossed it into the pot :-) . It went 'POP' and a little lead spot appeared on my shirt and a few more on the underside of the garage door, which was open and over the pot a couple feet.

Don't take much!

................Buckshot

Yeah, I've tried the water in with the sprues trick. I just don't want to try the exploding bullet too.

Boomer Mikey
08-14-2006, 04:01 PM
Wow!

I thought I was the only one with these issues.

I was adding some lead from the reloading bench bucket to the add-to-the-pot bucket and found half a dozen 22LR cartridges mixed in with the rejected bullets.

For the first time in a long time, I was wondering if my sanity was in question (it is).

There are only two kinds of casters - the ones that have had the lead tinsel treatment and the ones that are going to get the lead tinsel treatment. After 30 years of casting I haven't had the visit yet - I believe I came close that day.

I've had my share of burns though - mostly minor - and a few I will not forget any time soon. This is all part of the price we pay for this hobby - the burns can be serious, usually they are tolerable; however, I would never consider going near a lead pot without eye protection.

Boomer

fatnhappy
08-14-2006, 04:46 PM
I actually blew a hole in the side of a 50# cast iron pot. I had to clean up the lead tinsel with a rake. 50#s of low velocity molten lead will get your attention.

Buckshot
08-14-2006, 07:22 PM
I actually blew a hole in the side of a 50# cast iron pot. I had to clean up the lead tinsel with a rake. 50#s of low velocity molten lead will get your attention.

HA! Boy howdy:shock:[smilie=w:

..............1Shirt, "Shows to go ya, if Buckshot can do it anybody can."

............Boy lemme tell ya ...................no, on second thought I'd better not[smilie=1:

.............Buckshot

Wayne Smith
08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Believe it or not, I've actually burned myself more severely and more times cooking than casting bullets. 'Course, I've been cooking way longer than I've been casting.

Bigscot
08-15-2006, 08:31 AM
This time of year I have to be careful with sweat. I'm one of those guys who sweats in a freezer and this time of year if I am outside, I am sweating, not perspiring. Any way, when I cast or smelt I have to be careful that a drop of sweat does not go flying into the pot or on a tool. I cast and smelt on a propane burner so I also have extra heat to deal with.

Bigscot

Dale53
08-15-2006, 09:21 AM
I am a believer in wearing clothing that will cover most of my body when casting. Yes, I HAVE been visited by the tinsel fairy.

I use a dedicated "Casting Outfit":
Long sleeved all cottom flannel shirt (regardless how hot it is).
Bib overalls.
Short boots with pant legs over top.
Long shop apron to give that all important second layer.
Army fatigue hat to cover my head.
Welding gloves (leather that comes up my arms). They are also called "Fireplace" gloves.
Glasses or face shield for obvious reasons.

All clothing should be natural fibers. NO synthetics. Hot lead will melt synthetics and can cause VERY serious burns. I use cotton.

Now, I won't win any fashion awards in this get up. However, lead splashes DO occur and they don't trouble me at all. After I got used to using this outfit, it became a "no brainer" to use.

FWIW, I also faithfully fasten my seatbelt in my auto, EVERY TIME!! Remember, the question is not "IF" but "WHEN" it is going to happen.

As a 30 year "on the job" insurance claims representative, I have seen all manner of industrial accidents. Believe me, they happen to us all. NO ONE is immune. Just simply PROTECT YOURSELF!

Dale53

45 2.1
08-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Safety involves putting your brain in gear and thinking, not relieing on being brain dead while using clotheing and safety devices to save your butt when you shouldn't be doing something while not paying attention. After investigating fatal auto accidents for a couple decades, 99% of the "accidents" were from inattentiveness to what they were doing (operating a large mechanical device while going faster than they should have for the conditions, which are changeing constantly). Pay attention to what your doing, it does make a difference

1Shirt
08-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Gotta admire Dale53! If he just added a head net to his outfit, he would be equipt for both casting and bee keeping. If it works for him, more power to him.
I am a firm believer in not trying to fix what works.
1Shirt!

bmblong
08-15-2006, 06:25 PM
I had some lead out of the backstop of an indoor range. It just happened to have a .380 pistol cartridge in it. Not an adventure the wife or I would like to repeat.

Lloyd Smale
08-15-2006, 06:29 PM
light the fire and walk away come back when your sure its melted and never add cold lead to a pot.

Dale53
08-15-2006, 06:52 PM
45 2.1;
I agree with you that half of the safety component is "Paying Attention" but I stand on my statement of protective clothing. I am not the one on here with the most experience, but I, for a time, cast bullets commercially and have cast tens of thousands of bullets. Up to now, I have NO scars from casting. That says something.

Regarding auto accidents, I spent thirty years investigating accidents, and most of them WERE caused by people who were simply unattentive. However, there were a number of innocent people who fell victim to the "other party". Of course, there are very few accidents that both didn't have something to do with the cause (most of us know what I am talking about - look at all of the accidents we have been lucky enough to avoid when someone else put us in peril).

At any rate, pay attention AND wear protective clothing:mrgreen: .

Dale53