PDA

View Full Version : Fun at 200 yd's.

44man
05-09-2005, 08:15 PM
Didn't have anything better to do today because I got all the grass cut and trimming done. Took my .475 BFR down to my 200 yd bench to see what I could do. First thing I found was the dot in my Tasco scope completely covered an 8" bull at that distance. Oh-oh, how to get a group? I just held in what looked like the center of the paper and shot five of my home made gas check, 429 gr. boolits. I have not figured the right load for this one yet so just loaded 25 grs. of 296. I had five in 6-1/4".
I then shot the Lee 400 gr. boolit and put five in 5-3/32" using 26.5 grs. of 296. I have to wonder just what it can do with a more powerful scope and crosshairs instead of a huge dot. No money, so I can just wonder! Doesn't help either to have to pull back my head at the shot to keep from getting conked. Since my friend split open his head and gave himself a huge shiner with it, I am conscious of it.

David R
05-09-2005, 09:00 PM
Can you hold @ 6:00? It would look like an 8.

Sounds like some good groups for just starting out.

buck1
05-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Good shooting! I havent used any but a paper plate may be just the ticket for your "dot" Cheep and easy too. I guess they are about 12" or so?? ...buck

44man
05-10-2005, 11:11 PM
Kind of hard to make a figure 8 because the scope is only 2X and my eyesight is not as good anymore. Doesn't really matter anyway because it is just a hunting gun but it is fun to shoot far. Drop at 200 is roughly 24".
I have shot 2 bricks of primers through this .475 since last fall. I have shot over 200,000 rounds through various .44's since 1956 plus uncountable shots in other handguns, rifles, shotguns and muzzle loaders, but today I got my come-uppance and my wrist swelled up and hurts. My friend brought his Taurus .44 to sight in with 300 gr. XTP's. That thing has a skinny backed rubber grip and put all the recoil in one thin spot of my hand. I quit after a dozen shots, he can keep that stupid thing. Even 100 straight, hot .475's doesn't hurt me like that. That has to be the worst grip I have ever shot.

Willbird
05-11-2005, 06:46 AM
I have hadmy best groups with handgun scopes with a target that has a black bull with a white center that is about 1.5 times the crosshair width, that way when things are perfectly alingned you can see 4 tiny white spots around the X of the crosshairs, that enabled me to shoot smaller groups than any other method except a higher power scope.

Bill

44man
05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
Willbird, crosshairs are easy, but this Tasco has a HUGE dot in it that almost covers the entire paper at 200 yd's. I know it covers over 9".