PDA

View Full Version : New Guy..

Merlin1274
06-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Hey I am from SC and I am just starting to reload. I want to get into casting. Already have a couple sources to get some WW to start out with..

I have load 500 LRN in 9mm. They shot great out of my Carbine and my pistol.

I am interested in Cast Hollow points. I can't find anyone who sells them so I am looking into some molds. Would love some pointer and tips from anyone who may make them.

I know I read a thread where someone was drilling the tips out. But I noticed it wasnt for 9mm...

ANy help you guys can provide would be awesome.

So far I have learned a good bit about prep and setups.. Very informative site..

Look forward to swapping future stories..

Muddy Creek Sam
06-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Where you at in SC?

I am in Cottageville. Between Summerville and Walterboro.

Sam :D

BoolitBill
06-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Merlin, you just missed a group buy from Mihec for 9mm HP. You might try BRP custom molds: http://www.brp.castpics.net/default.htm

I have bought some of his molds and I have been happy with the quality of his work. On the pics page he has a 358-136PB two hole that has been hollow pointed, so you can get an Idea if that is what you would want. He only has two 9mm styles, but it may be what you are looking for.

06-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Merlin1274,
Welcome.

Give Eric a try. A good man, for sure. http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Marine Sgt 2111
06-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Welcome aboard Merlin. You will find a wealth of experience and knowledge on this board and good guys willing to help.

copdills
06-18-2010, 12:00 AM
welcome to the forum

303Guy
06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Welcome aboard Merlin1274.:drinks:

Ummm... you mention a carbine - in 9mm? You got pics?[smilie=1:

Merlin1274
06-18-2010, 08:41 AM
Thanks Guys... Sam I am in Walterboro..

303Guy.. I got a Hi-Point with the ATI Stock on it.. They maybe cheap guns but that think will throw some lead like nothing else. I got pics but its nothing fancy.

Muddy Creek Sam
06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Sent you a PM with my number.

Sam :D

sirgknight
06-18-2010, 08:49 AM
Welcome to this forum Merlin.....my casting started about two years ago and this is where I obtained a lot of advice, suggestions and help in making casting very fun and safe. I'm still learning every day. One of the best things that I like about this "hobby" is that it is ever changing....different ideas.....different methods.....different and new equipment, and the fact that there is no better brotherhood than the brotherhood of The Second Amendment. It's important to put SAFETY FIRST and try to learn from the mistakes of others. Casting can be very exilerating, fun and satisfying provided we continue to follow some basic rules of being safe. I would recommend that you surf or search for threads on casting and, by all means, don't be afraid to ask questions. A real respect must be given to a 700-800 degree alloy. Again, welcome to the forum!!!!

qajaq59
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Welcome to the forum
You'll like it here Merlin. And there is an abundance of information.

HeavyMetal
06-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Welcome!
Some good advise so far, one more thougt is that Lyman does, or did who knows, make a 9mm HP mold as well.

It is a modified 147 with a good sized HP on it bringing it down into the 125 grain weight class. It has one huge bevel base on it which I never understood but so far has performed well in some light testing I've done.

I have also had a few molds done by both Eric at HP molds and a site member Buckshot.

Both have been nicely done.

So look around, ask questions and you'll soon find what you need in the way of a mold.

303Guy
06-18-2010, 06:58 PM
That was well put, sirgknight.:drinks: