PDA

View Full Version : First casts

Tom-ADC
06-17-2010, 03:08 PM
I decided to check out my new Lee molds, a 405 HB & 500 gr double cavity for my 45-70.
First boolits were very wrinkled but as the molds heated up they looked pretty good, I smoked the molds and used 2 cycle oil to lube the molds, all boolits dropped free, I tried both a bottom pour and dipper, one thing I noticed I need to use a taller bench right now I'm using my B&D workmate and its a back killer plus bending over I can't control the pour as well. I saved enough from the first session to use to Leement the molds but not even sure that will be required.

qajaq59
06-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I bought .308 and a .50 cal molds from Lee and except for cleaning them well before I started casting, I've never had to do a thing to them.

Tom-ADC
06-17-2010, 05:26 PM
After reading a few more threads on casting I'm thinking my lead may not have been hot enough the boolits look like something the Lone Ranger would use bright silver.

qajaq59
06-17-2010, 05:33 PM
Could be. Plus you want your mold up to temp as well. And you'll do alright. It just requires a lot of reading and bit of practice.

Cowboy T
06-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Yes, you do need to run your melt kinda hot. Aluminum moulds are great, but they do dissipate heat quickly. I usually keep my temperature at about 750 deg. F. One of my moulds seems to prefer 800 deg. to get proper fillout in all six cavities (it's the third one).

Sounds like you did everything right with your mould prep, though.

If you're getting bright silver boolits, that's not a bad thing. Mine are slightly frosted, which is also just fine. What matters is how they shoot.

lwknight
06-17-2010, 07:00 PM
Nothing wrong with bright chrome looking boolits as long as you are getting a full band and base fill out.
I try to get mine somewhere between shiny and satin and either is just fine.